Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

cwvps RDP slow performance
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

cwvps RDP slow performance

john_sd3john_sd3 Member

after the last time, i had requested racknerd to give me a trial, which was graciously provided. thanks for that but i ended up with cwvps, cheapwindowsvps because they offer monthly payment, something i wanted in the initial months.
anyways, i am into my first month with them but the RDP performance is sluggish. i got the 8GB plan of theirs with 2 vcpu (2ghz) but there is an actual delay when an action is made and the display is refreshed.

i have tried remotefx compression, some tweaks i found online but they are not doing much.

is there any performance tweaks i should do, i have raised a ticket if it would be possible to increase the core count for an increase in the monthly bill but if i see responsiveness, it should not be an issue.

the delay is like, when i keep the task manager open, if a window, say firefox or settings page is opened, the cpu utilization goes to 100% briefly, then goes back down to 20-40% and then usually to single digits but the same thing happens over and over again. up and down. the ram is almost constant at 20-30% so ram isn't an issue.

i have not disabled updates yet, i dont want that.

another question, could i disable public IP address rdp connection and only allow zerotier access? that way i could maybe be protected from the public internet dangers?

Comments

• Maybe the cpu clock speed is too low.
    In virtualization, cpu is usually used to draw gui.

• is there something that i can do about it? could i enable hardware acceleration or ask the company to do it? that should help the ui i suppose

• 2 vcpu = 2 thread, its hard to make windows run smoothly.

• @john_sd3 said:
    is there something that i can do about it? could i enable hardware acceleration or ask the company to do it? that should help the ui i suppose

Maybe this physical server doesn't have a graphics card.

• i just asked in the ticket, lets see if they can enable it or not. i dont understand why they are selling https://vpshostingservice.co/store/virtual-private-servers
    these high RAM and storage servers without giving a decent cpu? whats the point of running rdp with 8gb ram when it doesnt display properly?

• valkvalk Member
    edited July 2022

@chenxuhua said:

@john_sd3 said:
    is there something that i can do about it? could i enable hardware acceleration or ask the company to do it? that should help the ui i suppose

Maybe this physical server doesn't have a graphics card.

That doesn't help if there is a GPU in the host (unless they have some kind of GRID supported card), you need like a lot of them, then passthrough it to get near native graphics performance.

@john_sd3 said:
    another question, could i disable public IP address rdp connection and only allow zerotier access? that way i could maybe be protected from the public internet dangers?

You can, but I do recommend changing the port and install RDP Defender if you need to connect to the public IP.

• @valk i dont need extreme performance, just wanting to do desktop work...

i will install some tool like that, thanks.
    is there any rep from cwvps here?

• tpolltpoll Member, Patron Provider

@john_sd3 said:
    @valk i dont need extreme performance, just wanting to do desktop work...

i will install some tool like that, thanks.
    is there any rep from cwvps here?

Hi John,

We appreciate the business and we apologize for any performance issues. If you could email me tony AT cheapwindowsvps.com with your IP address, I will take a look at this and do my best to assist you. We are currently implementing a major revamp of our image templates, infrastructure and load management capabilities to provide a higher level of service to our customers in the near future.

Lets discuss your concerns, address them and get a full resolution to these problems.

Best, Tony

• @tpoll sorry for the wrong sender email. i realized that after sending. i thought you would see the support ticket number and go from there. anyways, i have sent you the email of the login and the IP address.

you should log in and see for yourself

• @tpoll hey. thanks for the upgrade. should i be able to open firefox and run youtube without lag?

• cobrahcobrah Member

I'm suffering a self-reboot issue on cwvps in the last few weeks. They seems not to find the root cause every time.