Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH Elite VPS vs Rise Server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH Elite VPS vs Rise Server

JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

I’m hosting about 40 websites on an OVH elite VPS with DA & Litespeed.

Will there be better performance with the Rise server? Are they stable?

Currently hetrixtools tools says we use around 10% of the VPS cpu and around 3GB of RAM.

Comments

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2022

Your question is very vague, hence my reply also.
    You will not gain much but OVH RISE server would be better any day.

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

Thanks, will sites be quicker on the Rise server?

Obviously we get all the resources, compared to the VPS.

Is the OVH hardware reliable? I like that with the VPS there is no hardware to worry about directly.

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

You are already hosting website on OVH hardware and still asking question about OVH hardware reliability. They mostly provide you better hardware compared to other provider in similar price bracket.

edited July 2022

I ask as I previously had issues with OVH dedicated servers with CPanel / cloudlinux that wouldn’t boot after restarting - the grub had to be changed.

I’m just trying to establish if a dedicated server is worth the added cost. I don’t fancy added work with hardware issues.

The VPS’s seem fine, obviously a slower CPU. But the VPS has a higher network port speed compared to the Rise.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

I wouldn't bother unless you're hitting limits. And even then, maybe use the Eco page to get a cheaper SoYouStart or Kimsufi server instead...

Thanked by 1JamesF
  • LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

@JamesF said:
    I ask as I previously had issues with OVH dedicated servers with CPanel / cloudlinux that wouldn’t boot after restarting - the grub had to be changed.

That sounds a lot more like a software/configuration issue than anything with the hardware.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@LordSpock said:

@JamesF said:

That sounds a lot more like a software/configuration issue than anything with the hardware.

when people don't get how to manage software, the first excuse is blame hardware instead of skill of own system administration :smiley:

Not blaming hardware…. Just wanting to know if anyone has had issues? Or has anyone upgraded from the VPS and seen a significant improvement? Or just suck it and see….

• @JamesF said: I ask as I previously had issues with OVH dedicated servers with CPanel / cloudlinux that wouldn’t boot after restarting - the grub had to be changed.

This can happen with VPS too and not a hardware issue.

@JamesF said: Or has anyone upgraded from the VPS and seen a significant improvement?

With shared hosting you assume everything is single threaded. The ovh rise will definitely show significant improvement.

Thanked by 2JamesF Arkas