Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I bought a dedicated server, but apparently they gave me a virtual machine
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I bought a dedicated server, but apparently they gave me a virtual machine

WagnerWagner Member

Hello friends, I need your help and opinion!

I recently bought 2 servers from a company, both with the same configuration (the only difference was the SSD, the first machine is HDD, the second is SSD), other than that, CPU, memory, it's all the same. (same offers)

The first server works correctly, has VGA and PCI audio for desktop use, all correct, when querying with "sudo dmidecode | egrep -i 'manufacturer|product'" returns "Supermicro A1SA2-2750F", all ok.

However, the second machine, does not have PCI or VGA, and using command "sudo dmidecode | egrep -i 'manufacturer|product'" returns this information:

Manufacturer: Online Labs
Product Name: SR
Manufacturer: Chassis Manufacturer
Manufacturer: Intel(R) Corporation
Manufacturer:
Manufacturer: NO DIMM
Manufacturer:
Manufacturer: -Virtual Battery 0-
Manufacturer: OEM Define 2

When contacting support I informed about what happened, and mentioned that the first machine was Ok, graphics Ok, and it returned a new real for being a physical machine, the second machine, VGA did not work (even using the Lubuntu image provided by them) , VGA and PCI audio are not found on the second machine, and even then, support insists that BOTH machines are dedicated.

As I understand, "Manufacturer: Online Labs" does not mean dedicated machine, but virtual machine, what do you think about it?

Comments

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

How much did you pay for it?

Who is the host?

• afnafn Member

let me guess

viasky.co ?

Thanked by 1sgno1
  • WagnerWagner Member

@afn @BlaZe

I bought it on a 50% off summer sale, I paid $14.90 the value I really believe was $30

I bought from OneProvider

Am I correct? Is it a virtual machine?

To be more specific:

In "server A" command dmidecode returns (this one looks really dedicated, ONLY this is OK, VGA and PCI audio work)
    Manufacturer: Supermicro
    Product Name: A1SA2-2750F
    Product Name: A1SA2-2750F
    Manufacturer: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
    Manufacturer: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
    Manufacturer: InnoDisk
    Manufacturer: InnoDisk

On "server B", command dmidecode returns (not work desktop, not work VGA):
    Manufacturer:
    Manufacturer:

I thought it was the disk, so I bought it in HDD (third purchase, same CPU, memory, HD configuration), everything the same as the first:

In "server C" command dmidecode returns (not work desktop, not work VGA):
    Manufacturer:
    Manufacturer:

Remembering, I'm using the same offer, same location, and same install image provided in the control panel (Lubuntu 18 desktop)

• Online Labs SR is usually the OEM manufacturer of small Atom C2750 boxes.
    Did you buy from online.net or a reseller? IPs should say "Online SAS".

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Barge into the data center and demand to see your dedicated server.

• WagnerWagner Member

@luckypenguin said:
    Online Labs SR is usually the OEM manufacturer of small Atom C2750 boxes.

I bought it on oneprovider, on the ip "Online SAS" where can I find this information?

The strange thing is that I bought 3 servers with the same configuration, but only on the first server the name "SuperMicro" is Ok and VGA and PCI audio are Ok. The other 2 machines return manufacturer name "Online Labs" and don't work VGA or PCI audio.

Are the second and third machines virtual?

• WagnerWagner Member

@yoursunny said:

Great joke, if you can't help, then don't bother, I have a question and if I wanted jokes I would go to the off topic

• TeYroXTeYroX Member

I would suggest you to contact with support and explain your situation with servers, if something will be wrong, they will fix it :P

Thanked by 1equalz
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited July 2022

@Wagner said:

@luckypenguin said:

I bought it on oneprovider, on the ip "Online SAS" where can I find this information?

The strange thing is that I bought 3 servers with the same configuration, but only on the first server the name "SuperMicro" is Ok and VGA and PCI audio are Ok. The other 2 machines return manufacturer name "Online Labs" and don't work VGA or PCI audio.

They sold you a dedicated server and as far as they're concerned it is. It probably is. It's old online.net junk. OneProvider is a reseller.

• WagnerWagner Member

@TeYroX said:
    I would suggest you to contact with support and explain your situation with servers, if something will be wrong, they will fix it :P

I already did that, and they informed that it is not a virtual machine, this is the reason I post my question here, to ask if according to the information provided here we can identify if it is really dedicated or not.

I'm about 5 days trying to solve this with oneprovider, and they come back citing being dedicated, however if it's dedicated then why the 2 other machines don't have VGA e return other Manufacturer name? If both are obtained by the same offer.

• WagnerWagner Member

@jar

I see, so oneprovider is correct, can you explain why VGA and PCI audio don't work on the other machines even though they are the same offers?

I'll put the pci output here:

"Server A" (OK) VGA and PCI OK:
    00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Atom processor C2000 SoC Transaction Router [8086:1f01] (rev 02)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Atom processor C2000 PCIe Root Port 1 [8086:1f10] (rev 02)
    00:02.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Atom processor C2000 PCIe Root Port 2 [8086:1f11] (rev 02)
    00:03.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Atom processor C2000 PCIe Root Port 3 [8086:1f12] (rev 02)
    00:0e.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Atom processor C2000 RAS [8086:1f14] (rev 02)
    00:0f.0 IOMMU [0806]: Intel Corporation Atom processor C2000 RCEC [8086:1f16] (rev 02)
    00:13.0 System peripheral [0880]: Intel Corporation Atom processor C2000 SMBus 2.0 [8086:1f15] (rev 02)
    00:14.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection I354 [8086:1f41] (rev 03)
    00:14.1 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection I354 [8086:1f41] (rev 03)
    00:16.0 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation Atom processor C2000 USB Enhanced Host Controller [8086:1f2c] (rev 02)
    00:18.0 SATA controller [0106]: Intel Corporation Atom processor C2000 AHCI SATA3 Controller [8086:1f32] (rev 02)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation Atom processor C2000 PCU [8086:1f38] (rev 02)
    00:1f.3 SMBus [0c05]: Intel Corporation Atom processor C2000 PCU SMBus [8086:1f3c] (rev 02)
    02:00.0 PCI bridge [0604]: ASPEED Technology, Inc. AST1150 PCI-to-PCI Bridge [1a03:1150] (rev 03)
    03:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ASPEED Technology, Inc. ASPEED Graphics Family [1a03:2000] (rev 30)

But in "server B" (VGA or PCI not found)":
    00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Atom processor C2000 SoC Transaction Router [8086:1f01] (rev 02)
    00:0e.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Atom processor C2000 RAS [8086:1f14] (rev 02)
    00:0f.0 IOMMU [0806]: Intel Corporation Atom processor C2000 RCEC [8086:1f16] (rev 02)
    00:13.0 System peripheral [0880]: Intel Corporation Atom processor C2000 SMBus 2.0 [8086:1f15] (rev 02)
    00:14.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection I354 2.5 GbE Backplane [8086:1f45] (rev 03)
    00:14.1 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection I354 2.5 GbE Backplane [8086:1f45] (rev 03)
    00:16.0 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation Atom processor C2000 USB Enhanced Host Controller [8086:1f2c] (rev 02)
    00:18.0 SATA controller [0106]: Intel Corporation Atom processor C2000 AHCI SATA3 Controller [8086:1f32] (rev 02)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation Atom processor C2000 PCU [8086:1f38] (rev 02)
    00:1f.3 SMBus [0c05]: Intel Corporation Atom processor C2000 PCU SMBus [8086:1f3c] (rev 02)

Do you know why VGA and PCI are not found on "server B"? Remembering, same offer, same CPU, RAM.

Thanks for help

• Shot2Shot2 Member
    edited July 2022

These are dedicated servers (let me guess, with Avotons C27xx?). FYI, Online designs and builds some of their own systems/motherboards, with custom bios too. Their 'Start' range is a mixed bag, you play the Online roulette whenever you order (e.g. slightly different CPU, different motherboard, different SSD brand, extra RAM, textmode IPMI or not, etc.)

Also, please consider providing full info when you expect some insights or help - spare us the guesswork.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • Leave the stupid "same offer" term aside. As far as the actual DC (Online.net) goes, those are different servers in terms of hardware and are different SKUs, when they used to offer those Avotons for a few euros like 5 years ago.

Thanked by 1afn
  • WagnerWagner Member

@Shot2 said:
    These are dedicated servers (let me guess, with Avotons C27xx?). FYI, Online manufactures some of their systems/motherboards, with custom bios too. Their 'Start' range is a mixed bag, you play the Online roulette whenever you order (e.g. slightly different CPU, different motherboard, different SSD brand, extra RAM, etc.)

Also, please consider providing full info when you expect some insights or help - spare us the guesswork.

Thanks for the help, sorry for the lack of information, see my answer to @jar, I have provided more information, thanks for help

Thanked by 1Shot2
  • WagnerWagner Member

@luckypenguin said:
    Leave the stupid "same offer" term aside. As far as the actual DC (Online.net) goes, those are different servers in terms of hardware and are different SKUs, when they used to offer those Avotons for a few euros like 5 years ago.

I understand, thanks for the help

• WagnerWagner Member

Thanks for the help guys, from what I see servers are really dedicated, now I'll try to look at the issue of VGA and PCI audio not working on the other machines with them, as it only works on the first machine. thanks all

• Shot2Shot2 Member

So, yep, they are all Online.net's C2XXX Avoton servers. As I said it's a mixed bag: they belong to different generations (Online released several batches, with some being built in-house with slightly different components and features)... but all were sold under a similar, commercial name "Dedibox XC" then "Start-1-M" over the last 10 years or so.

• WagnerWagner Member

@Shot2 said:
    So, yep, they are all Online.net's C2XXX Avoton servers. As I said it's a mixed bag: they belong to different generations (Online released several batches, with some being built in-house with slightly different components and features)... but all were sold under a similar, commercial name "Dedibox XC" then "Start-1-M" over the last 10 years or so.

Thank you very much for your help

• @Wagner said:

@yoursunny said:

Great joke, if you can't help, then don't bother, I have a question and if I wanted jokes I would go to the off topic

Looks like someone doesn't understand the neighbourhood they walked into…

If both are obtained by the same offer.

Same offer doesn't necessarily mean the same machine. As long as it matches the promised spec or better they can give you anything.

VGA and PCI audio are not found on the second machine, and even then, support insists that BOTH machines are dedicated.

You don't need VGA and audio to be a dedicated server. As long as you have a whole hardware system (mobo, CPU, ram, drives, NIC) to yourself the description matches. It could be one of those little bare units that plug into a rack-mounted chassis and are used to cram many machines into a couple of U of rack space - they don't necessarily have any external outputs.

As I understand, "Manufacturer: Online Labs" does not mean dedicated machine

Where do you understand that from? I don't think it is necessarily true (you may see those values from a VM but it doesn't mean you definitely have a VM). As others have said, those particular values may be returned for some common Atom based machines.

The manufacturer & related values in BIOS and other areas are not always filled in at all, as you can see with “Manufacturer: To Be Filled By O.E.M.” in the one you are sure is a dedicated server.

Are you seeing any behaviour (performance, etc.) from the machine that would lead you to believe it to be virtual, other than these values read by dmidecode?

• Shot2Shot2 Member
    edited July 2022

@Wagner said:

@Shot2 said:

Thank you very much for your help

The later generations of these Avoton servers have definitely lost some functionality (KVM, and possibly VGA, Audio chipsets etc.) when receiving new firmware and hardware design. Considering their low price, it's no surprise that Online just fixed some critical firmware bugs, and left out (or disabled) some unnecessary features prone to issues and more bugs - after all this kind of small, low-performance dedis are primarily intended for basic server tasks.

If you want, you can try and play the "Online/Oneprovider roulette" many more times, ordering more servers until you get one that comes with all the functions you need... but it's not guaranteed, and you could just be wasting money.

• WagnerWagner Member

@MeAtExampleDotCom

Thanks for the reply, sorry but I don't know much about DC, I just buy, configure and deliver to the customer, this is one of the reasons I ask the opinion of more experienced users here.

About using "dmidecode" to identify whether it is physical or virtual, I found this in an article in a blog post, and now I understand that this is not a reference, with your help I learned more about it and I see that are really dedicated.

About performance, then, I haven't tested the performance yet (I haven't delivered it to my client yet), I bought the machine a little while ago, and my client asked for "Lubuntu 18 desktop", when I tried to install it didn't return graphics even using its own lubuntu image from oneprovider, that's when my doubts about being virtual or dedicated started, I believed that the issue of not having PCI audio or VGA had to do with being a virtual machine.

Thanks to your help and other user here, I was able to understand and learn more about it, now I just need to find a way to run lubuntu desktop on the machine, as it doesn't work, even using their own install image.

• WagnerWagner Member

@Shot2

It's true, that's what happened and you explained everything.

That's why the first server VGA and PCI Ok, the others don't work VGA and PCI.

Well I'm afraid of Russian roulette, I'm not going to take any chances with it again.

Server tasks are basic, in fact I just needed a GUI Desktop to work.

• Why would you need a physical VGA output in order for X server (desktop) to work
    on a remote server? People are using VMs with graphics and those never expose any
    physical port to begin with. Google X11 forwarding.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • VoidVoid Member

@jar said:

@Wagner said:

@luckypenguin said:

They sold you a dedicated server and as far as they're concerned it is. It probably is. It's old online.net junk. OneProvider is a reseller.

whose servers are they selling ?

• @jmaxwell said:
    whose servers are they selling ?

probably everyone. I know they resell kimsufi servers.

• edited July 2022

Make sure to get them on the phone and then beep the internal speaker to make sure it is not virtual

Thanked by 1bruh21
  • @Wagner said:

About performance, then, I haven't tested the performance yet (I haven't delivered it to my client yet), I bought the machine a little while ago, and my client asked for "Lubuntu 18 desktop", when I tried to install it didn't return graphics even using its own lubuntu image from oneprovider, that's when my doubts about being virtual or dedicated started, I believed that the issue of not having PCI audio or VGA had to do with being a virtual machine.

Thanks to your help and other user here, I was able to understand and learn more about it, now I just need to find a way to run lubuntu desktop on the machine, as it doesn't work, even using their own install image.

You need to do some more config to use their Lubuntu image.

Or you can use the Ubuntu image then install Lubuntu. It should work.

• WagnerWagner Member

@luckypenguin said:
    Why would you need a physical VGA output in order for X server (desktop) to work
    on a remote server? People are using VMs with graphics and those never expose any
    physical port to begin with. Google X11 forwarding.

My client needs to use anydesk on the machine, the first machine works anydesk ok, but on the second and third machine (where VGA and PCI audio is not found), anydesk doesn't work, I don't know if this is related.

• luckypenguinluckypenguin Member
    edited July 2022

This is not related, I've used Anydesk on VMs without VGA many times.
    Install the xserver-xorg-video-dummy package to have a dummy VGA output.
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/453109/add-fake-display-when-no-monitor-is-plugged-in

• WagnerWagner Member

@gemini90

Thanks, I tried for several days to no avail, on the second and third server lubuntu desktop doesn't work (only works on the first server), I already requested a refund for the third server and they did.

Basically, as the friend mentioned here, it seems to be "lucky" to buy from them, it could be some bug or something similar, I don't know, the only thing I can say is that all machines are the same CPU, RAM settings, but only 1 works Lubuntu correctly, remembering, I'm using their own image provided by them Lubuntu.

I'll research more about other ways to work Lubuntu with anydesk that doesn't need VGA (I don't know if that exists)