Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Virmach sudden migration
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Virmach sudden migration

Anyone else suddenly had their Virmach vps migrated without notice?

I noticed my IP changed and I cant ssh to it.

I did not opt in. I did not get any email I was about to get migrated

I only got an email that my service is eligible for migration but I did not opt in. Besides the email said:

If your service becomes part of a migration, you'll receive another email with the date but you can always also check the network status page.

@VirMach

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@timelapse said:
    I'm stuck

You are not stuck.
    You can cancel the service without refund.

Thanked by 1Levi
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Didn't people buy Ryzen Migration Specials?

• _MS__MS_ Member

Thanked by 4FrankZ ehab VayVayKa emgh
  • @Neoon said:

Didn't people buy Ryzen Migration Specials?

I had this vps since 2018

• @yoursunny said:

@timelapse said:
    I'm stuck

You are not stuck.
    You can cancel the service without refund.

Haha but I am quite upset they migrated all of a sudden :(

• kendidkendid Veteran

Same situation. Which server are you migrated to? Mine's a BF special

• mjcoliveira90mjcoliveira90 Member
    edited July 2022

My migration special moved to ryzen 14 days ago and I never got ssh access or was able to ping the new IP.
    Open a ticket 7 days ago and no response

• DursDurs Member

@mjcoliveira90 said:
    My migration special moved to ryzen 14 days ago and I never got ssh access or was able to ping the new IP.

you need openwrt n the ticket with priority than they answer normaly in two days

Thanked by 1mjcoliveira90
  • @kendid said:
    Same situation. Which server are you migrated to? Mine's a BF special

Yes from LAX

• @Durs said:

@mjcoliveira90 said:

you need openwrt n the ticket with priority than they answer normaly in two days

At first I thought it was just an outage. I have a ticket open with them since July 7 I think

• JabJabJabJab Member

Yes, a lot of people were migrate.
    Yes, you were supposed to get an e-mail, but they said WHMCS not the best software to proceed a lot of e-mails and some are gone.
    Check your ticket system - there should be new IP ticket (at least from previous migrations, not saying it happens this too).

Click Reconfigure network as this sometimes help. VNC to your VPS and see if your network interface has correct IP set up (some old systems had ensX, new naming via SolusVM is eth0) and it failes to 'proper update proper interface'.
    Post some ip route, ip config etc and people will try to help, support is overloaded as fuck - I mean you can wait, but why wait when you can get community support and most likely fix it :-D

• VoidVoid Member

@timelapse said:
    Anyone else suddenly had their Virmach vps migrated without notice?

I noticed my IP changed and I cant ssh to it.

I did not opt in. I did not get any email I was about to get migrated

I only got an email that my service is eligible for migration but I did not opt in. Besides the email said:

If your service becomes part of a migration, you'll receive another email with the date but you can always also check the network status page.

@VirMach

That ‘another email’ never came for me too but I took backups immediately and after a few days it just died and came back online with a new IP after another couple of days. Control panel is still broken for me though.

• aliletalilet Member

Luckily I migrated my website to Vultr one day before their migration. But it's temporary and once everything is stable, I will move it back to VirMach. After all who can resist 4 core, 8GB RAM, 60GB SSD for $24/year.

Thanked by 1Shamli
  • @JabJab said:
    Click Reconfigure network as this sometimes help. VNC to your VPS and see if your network interface has correct IP set up (some old systems had ensX, new naming via SolusVM is eth0) and it failes to 'proper update proper interface'.

This worked for me. Old IP was still hard coded into the network settings. I’ve updated these by hand and now it works. Like a charm.

• ihcoayihcoay Member

@mjcoliveira90 said:

my 16 day ;)

Thanked by 1mjcoliveira90
  • noamannoaman Member

@JabJab said:
    Yes, a lot of people were migrate.
    Yes, you were supposed to get an e-mail, but they said WHMCS not the best software to proceed a lot of e-mails and some are gone.
    Check your ticket system - there should be new IP ticket (at least from previous migrations, not saying it happens this too).

Post some ip route, ip config etc and people will try to help, support is overloaded as fuck - I mean you can wait, but why wait when you can get community support and most likely fix it :-D

I think there system had a little glitch. I only migrated two of my boxes and never wanted to migrate the other VPSes.

The ones on which I explicitly clicked migrate were migrated successfully but unfortunately the other one had there IP changed and the websites crashed.

Note. I never bought any ryzen migration specials. These were just old VMs

Thanked by 1skorous
  • @noaman said:

The ones on which I explicitly clicked migrate were migrated successfully but unfortunately the other one had there IP changed and the websites crashed.

Isn't it great that he's moving all systems to the new hardware? Free performance upgrade, right?

Thanked by 1ZA_capetown
  • noamannoaman Member

@skorous said:

@noaman said:

Isn't it great that he's moving all systems to the new hardware? Free performance upgrade, right?

That's why I never complaint. But I do know have to fix a lot of broken stuff. I guess I would do it over this weekend.

• jtkjtk Member

@ihcoay said:
    my 16 day ;)

I think I can beat that. Over 30 VMs currently unavailable. First one went unavailable on June 23, most recent one disappeared July 10. Most if not all are small, low-cost BF specials picked up over the years so monetary loss would not be great and no one system is important, but still a pretty big bummer.

• @skorous said:

@noaman said:

Moving my Windows servers to new Ryzen servers loses the activation. Zero fucks given for that from Virmach and there's really no reason to renew Virmach this year. My uptime monitors have been going crazy for like a week now for 3 VPS' in Seattle.

If there wasn't a performance issue to begin with, there is nothing to be gained, only lost.

• noamannoaman Member

@TimboJones said:

@skorous said:

@noaman said:

Moving my Windows servers to new Ryzen servers loses the activation. Zero fucks given for that from Virmach and there's really no reason to renew Virmach this year. My uptime monitors have been going crazy for like a week now for 3 VPS' in Seattle.

If there wasn't a performance issue to begin with, there is nothing to be gained, only lost.

Not sure why he didn't he do it location wise. I remember the Europe locations were the last when he migrated OpenVZ to KVM and It was like 6 months late but I was okay with it as the box was online.

I think this time they just had a lot on there plate. Switching all of the hardware at all of locations at same time simply doesn't make sense to me business wise.

• jtkjtk Member

@jtk said:
    I think I can beat that. Over 30 VMs currently unavailable.

Following up on my own situation in the hope it may help others.

I went through each of the 30+ VMs. All, but three I was able to make work one way or another. Many were brought back simply by running the "Reconfigure Networking" option in the control panel.

However, a fair number needed some additional manual intervention.

For example, and this may be OS-specific, but while a reconfigure would often apply the correct addressing, but as as an interface alias (i.e., eth0:0) with the old address as primary (i.e., eth0). In most cases I could VNC in and fix this.

In a couple of cases there were some disk errors that appear to have been sufficiently fixed with an fsck.

I also noticed that some VMs would have new addressing applied in the OS, but this new addressing was not reflected in the UI or control panel, so my concern is that what is on the VM is not in sync with something in the provisioning system.

In one case the v4 mask assigned was a /22 with a gateway to match. I took a guess and changed the mask to a /24 and set the gateway to the .1, which is typical for most VMs. That got that one working, but again it's not clear this is in sync with provisioning.

Thanks to @virmach for reaching out an inquiring after my initial post. All this has been relayed privately and they are helping to make sure any outstanding issues will be addressed. I can live with that and will probably participate in future BF specials. :-)

Thanked by 1tototo
  • @noaman said:

@TimboJones said:

@skorous said:

@noaman said:

Not sure why he didn't he do it location wise. I remember the Europe locations were the last when he migrated OpenVZ to KVM and It was like 6 months late but I was okay with it as the box was online.

I think this time they just had a lot on there plate. Switching all of the hardware at all of locations at same time simply doesn't make sense to me business wise.

Actually, after another migration today, it's showing activated! I'm back to "content enough".