Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How does Free hosting work from business point of view
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How does Free hosting work from business point of view

Hi, I want to know how the platforms such as bytehost or freehostia give free hosting? I remember few years back when I used to host my site at 000webhosting, they used to add a fixed header at the bottom of every rendered page.
I want to know the business model of free web hosting service providers, is there any value generated by the log data which records visitors ip, time and other stuffs? Thanks

Comments

• LeviLevi Member

Free hosting is venue to attract potential paying customers. Only 1 from 100 may convert to paying customer. 50% of freeloaders abuse heavily everything they can: host viruses, botnet controllers, spam, scam, adult pages. Everything you can imagine and beyond.

I see free hosting as an ultimate test to ones server administration skills. You can see things, both disturbing and wonderful. Communicate with people. Don't seek profit in free hosting, only knowledge and salvation.

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2022

I have run a Free-Hosting company. No paid subscription. Only free packages and a "Donation" function.

For arround 3k € back in 2015 i hired a dev who made a cpanel plugin only for me to inject Ads.
    You could select if there will be advertisments shown on footer, header, both or none at all. even per account.

It made decent money. Had 12 OVH dedis full of accounts in the end.
    Every day there was a flood of new sign ups.
    But alot of abuse.
    And alot of inactive accounts etc etc.

Alot of problems and headache

It came to a moment it was not possible to manage that anymore.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@HostSlick said: I have run a Free-Hosting company. No paid subscription. Only free packages and a "Donation" function.

Been there, done that, at some point you have to choose between sanity or just go insane and continue.

• Does website log can generate any value? Can it be sold?

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@vielendank said: Does website log can generate any value? Can it be sold?

Almost any data can be sold these days, but from free hosting the money is in ad revenue, not so much in logs and 'client' data.

• vielendankvielendank Member
    edited July 2022

@Arkas said:
    Almost any data can be sold these days, but from free hosting the money is in ad revenue, not so much in logs and 'client' data.

Can we
    1. disable existing ads from a hosted website
    2. and then use our own google adsense ads on footer?

• ArkasArkas Moderator
    edited July 2022

@vielendank said: Can we
    1. disable existing ads from a website
    2. and then use our own google adsense ads on footer?

Of course you can. However, you have to be careful with what ads show depending on the content of the site, google is picky and has been known to disqualify depending on the content, which you have no control over. Much better to go with affiliate marketing.

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • kasodkkasodk Barred

I have tried free hosting once.
    I installed a fresh WordPress website with no traffic.
    And set up an uptime monitor with 5-minute intervals.
    A few days later my website got suspended because of the traffic the uptime monitor generated. :D
    The suspension message was an offer for paid hosting.

• AnayxAnayx Member

@kasodk said:
    I have tried free hosting once.
    I installed a fresh WordPress website with no traffic.
    And set up an uptime monitor with 5-minute intervals.
    A few days later my website got suspended because of the traffic the uptime monitor generated. :D
    The suspension message was an offer for paid hosting.

They want to sell paid hosting, whats wrong :wink: