Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Basic Knowledge Question on CPU usage
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Basic Knowledge Question on CPU usage

MariomkMariomk Member

Hey guys, I recently got my first dedicated server and managed to start using Virtualizor on it (thanks to the help of a few members and many comments on my previous post).

This server is for personal usage (will probably use it for a few client websites and my own), I got it because I wanted to see what the difference was between a dedi server and just using a VPS from a hosting provider like Rackner or Nexusbytes (my current providers).

Now, I have a question regarding CPU units and core % when making a VPS.

I got a Ryzen with 8 cores, and 64GB of ram and I want to create 8 VPS in it, so my initial thought was to just add one core per VPS, divide the ram and make the % be 100%, but then I thought that having all 8 of the VPS use all cores at 100% and each one with 1000 units would make it self-balance the resources, not sure if this is correct or not.

So if you wanted to do this for yourself, what would you do? I figured that my 8 VPS wont be all working at the same time because these would have websites from different time zones (possibly a couple in Asia, Euro, and America).

Thank you in advance for giving me your opinion/knowledge, I know this could be an entry-level thing, I just want to have the best possible performance for those 8 VPS as I can.

Comments

• sotssots Member

If you want to host your production websites and use 100% performance, you should never use any kind of VMs or containers (e.g. KVM, Xen, Docker, Podman) because of performance loss. Instead, you should use systemd to manage your different web services.

• Why don't use Docker to run each web service? In that case, if one of your web service has traffic peak, it can use all 8 CPU cores.