Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What could cause paypal.com to be directed to paypal.ru?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What could cause paypal.com to be directed to paypal.ru?

My connections via VPN was routing www.paypal.com to paypal.com/ru, displaying Russian text. When I changed to another VPN it reverted to www.paypal.com displaying English.

What could be the most likely cause? The VPN that diverted to paypal.com/ru was at Digital Ocean AMS 1. I destroyed it and created a new one at AMS 2 and it turned out okay.

Did anyone experience something similar at DO?

Comments

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited December 2013

They were out of IPs at NL location until they bought some extra IPs somewhere some time ago. Most likely some geolocation databases aren't updated and see old IP allocation.

Lets take a look at ftp://ftp.ripe.net/pub/stats/ripencc/delegated-ripencc-latest to see to which country was this IP address space first allocated or assigned.

• You might try to set your browser locale and see if it works.

• If you're routing your paypal via VPN you're going to have a bad time. Seriously. They will "investigate" your account.

Thanked by 2rds100 alexvolk
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Rallias said: They will "investigate" your account.

That's a given.
    No matter what you do, you will get there.

• @Rallias said:
    If you're routing your paypal via VPN you're going to have a bad time. Seriously. They will "investigate" your account.

My connection uses the same IP most of the time, so I have never had a problem with Paypal. All my internet is done via VPN.

• @Rallias said:
    If you're routing your paypal via VPN you're going to have a bad time. Seriously. They will "investigate" your account.

That can not be generalised. You can access German Paypal-accounts with most of the IPs from providers here without any problems and without investigations of the account. However, Paypal is a bank in Germany and every account is verified. Maybe that makes a difference.

edited December 2013

ska said: Maybe that makes a difference.

Or maybe they just care more for DE customers. What is actually to investigate ? I have some 20-30 transactions a month, it can be done without closing my account in an hour perhaps two, manually. It should not take a year in any situation, in a year a full grown bank can be audited.

• ska said: Paypal is a bank in Germany and every account is verified.

Nope, Verification of account is optional, it was never required by PayPal until you'll get their limit or if the system will think that your activity is suspicious.

As @Rallias said using VPN not good thing. One day system will catch you and will simply block your account. To restore your account you'll need to provide all documents asked by PayPal staff.

• skaska Member
    edited December 2013

alexvolk said: Nope, Verification of account is optional, it was never required by PayPal until you'll get their limit or if the system will think that your activity is suspicious.

No. The account is automatically verified if you connect it to a German bank-account. At least that's how it worked for me years ago.

alexvolk said: As @Rallias said using VPN not good thing. One day system will catch you and will simply block your account. To restore your account you'll need to provide all documents asked by PayPal staff.

As I said, this never happened to me and I'm using Paypal and VPN since nearly a decade.

• ska said: As I said, this never happened to me and I'm using Paypal and VPN since nearly a decade.

Well I don't know... I accidently left myself logged into the BlueVM VPN and accessed their site... just 600 miles away... bam, change the password, check the bank, ring the telly, the whole 9 legions.

• @Rallias said:
    Well I don't know... I accidently left myself logged into the BlueVM VPN and accessed their site... just 600 miles away... bam, change the password, check the bank, ring the telly, the whole 9 legions.

Maybe this has to do with the payment-method connected to the account. Do you pay using Paypal via CC?

• @Rallias said:

I cycle through about 4 different VPN accounts during the week, I access paypal multiple times daily and I've never had any issues.

• budi1413budi1413 Member
    edited December 2013

Paypal always giving error if i want to pay something with via vpn (geolocated to different country).

• skaska Member
    edited December 2013

I guess this has to do with the fact if you live inside the EU (bank-license) or outside, if you use a CC connected to your Paypal-account or a bank-account (verified) etc.

• ska said: No. The account is automatically verified if you connect it to a German bank-account. At least that's how it worked for me years ago.

Do you know the differences between Credit Card and Bank account attached to PayPal?

Create a new paypal account, add CC and I will see how it will be automatically verified.
    After that open VPN in random country and try to make a payment. I will see how you'll be doing with it.

• @alexvolk said:
    Do you know the differences between Credit Card and Bank account attached to PayPal?

I guess I made that quite clear from my posts above. That's why I was asking if you guys are having problems with VPNs because of just having a CC attached to Paypal. Because with a bank-account I didn't experience the problem.

• never never use proxy / VPN to connect your paypal ..that is big mistake

I frankly do not see the difference between a bank account and a card, if the paypal credentials are lost both can be used to do unauthorized payments.
    If paypal is suspicious about the owner in the first place ok, that is different, but at least say so.
    "Yo, dude, i've got a bad hunch about ya, I reckon you've been a criminal using this account for dastardly deeds. Fork us da papers to be cleared, will ya ?"

• alexvolkalexvolk Member
    edited December 2013

@Maounique said:
    I frankly do not see the difference between a bank account and a card.

Card -> Instant Payment

Bank -> Few days or Authorization on the Bank site, which will have few steps of verification.

That's the difference.

alexvolk said: Bank -> Few days or Authorization on the Bank site, which will have few steps of verification.

What are you talking about ? The withdrawal is instant except the first time, at least this is how it works here.

• @Maounique said:
    What are you talking about ? The withdrawal is instant except the first time, at least this is how it works here.

It's not instant in all countries.

That would be a problem for online purchases waiting for approval...

• skaska Member
    edited December 2013

@Maounique said:

That's also how it works in .de. The payment itself is instant regardless of the connected account (CC or bank-account).

However, the initial process of activating the connected account is different. At least in .de you can get prepaid-CC without any form of identification. If you, on the contrary, connect a bank-account to the Paypal-account, you are verified since you can't get hold of an anonymous bank-account (in contrast to a CC). I guess Paypal might be more relaxed when paying with a connected bank-account because of this. Maybe that's why some people have no problems when using a VPN as they are having a bank-account connected to their Paypal-account.