Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Goodbye Instagram and Facebook - EU has gone crazy - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Goodbye Instagram and Facebook - EU has gone crazy

2»

Comments

• rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider

@tjn said:

@rustelekom said:
    Facebook and Instagram are already banned in Russia.

To be fair... They're banned for completely different reasons than what's being discussed here.

Yes, you're right. But they also still do not localize personal data of Russians in Russia and have been fined for it.

PS. I don't see much difference between the reasons for the ban, because the result is the same. Users cannot visit these sites without a VPN.

• @cold said:
    we will use Tinder instead 🤣

/unfriend grandma

Thanked by 2cold ralf
  • @deqi said:
    they did not just went crazy but gone sane
    fb/insta/meta is actually the only reason why "modern" web is shitty af

Services that spend billions on testing scaling solutions and open sourcing their infrastructure is definitely a good thing. You're going to find a million times worse outside these players.

Thanked by 1suyadi92
  • I don't understand why its such a shock GDPR isn't brand new and these companies should have adapted as we've all had to

• @szarka said:

@iqbal said:
    and US think:

• if it going to the US, it is normal
    • if it going to China, it is crazy

logic!

Some US companies still have enough balls to resist government surveillance. I mean, not AT&T. But some companies. So, yes, depending.

You have zero ways to know this. The company's often have gag orders when served with warrants and other orders. Revealing LEA requests is rare and I don't even know if Google still does it annually.

When the suits come knocking, generally you need to let them do their thing and then argue in court to stop or throw out the results.

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited July 2022

@rustelekom said:
    In fact, many Russian laws simply copy U.S. or EU laws that have been copied. We are talking, for example, about the Patriot Act and GDPR.

The U.S. should send a DMCA notice to Russia for Patriot Act copyright violations. Super meta.

• For the first time in his life, Elon Musk pulls out. Twitter RIP

• rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider

@TimboJones said:

@rustelekom said:
    In fact, many Russian laws simply copy U.S. or EU laws that have been copied. We are talking, for example, about the Patriot Act and GDPR.

The U.S. should send a DMCA notice to Russia for Patriot Act copyright violations. Super meta.

I think the law of the land is not copyrightable.

• szarkaszarka Member

@TimboJones said:

@szarka said:

@iqbal said:
    and US think:

logic!

Some US companies still have enough balls to resist government surveillance. I mean, not AT&T. But some companies. So, yes, depending.

You have zero ways to know this. The company's often have gag orders when served with warrants and other orders. Revealing LEA requests is rare and I don't even know if Google still does it annually.

When the suits come knocking, generally you need to let them do their thing and then argue in court to stop or throw out the results.

Warrant canaries are thing.

And, if you're too big for that to be effective, you do this instead.

We also have the record which companies have resisted government intrusion by taking it to court.

Not perfect. But better than a situation where all companies have to bend over for the government as a condition of even doing business.

• @szarka said:

@TimboJones said:

@szarka said:

@iqbal said:
    and US think:

logic!

Warrant canaries are thing.

Very few do it and fewer properly maintain it. It's also still widely advised by lawyers that they can still violate the gag order (judges care about the result and get mad at attempted loopholes as contempt).

And, if you're too big for that to be effective, you do this instead.

We also have the record which companies have resisted government intrusion by taking it to court.

Not all of these are Public record.

Not perfect. But better than a situation where all companies have to bend over for the government as a condition of even doing business.

Hmm? Being compliant with the laws/warrants/orders has always been the way it is and not "bend over for the government", like Meg Whitman at HP who did things without orders to be a good citizen, in her opinion.

• pikepike Veteran

I have to admit that I will not miss them. From my perspective these platforms are not leading humanity to any desirable direction, in fact they are doing the opposite.

Thanked by 2tjn that_guy
  • Imagine life without Instagram and Facebook.
    I think it would not be bad at all. But, it's not going to happen.

• FranzkafkaFranzkafka Member
    edited July 2022

@mosquitoguy said:

@jmaxwell said:
    Well that would suck if they extend to all services. Facebook cancer on the other hand, much needed.

That's really not the point. The point is freedom. Some people like facebook cancer-- shouldn't it be the people's choice whether they can use facebook or not?

All the EU is missing right now is the Great Firewall. Maybe they can arrange an agreement with China.

Don't you think that the People(not all,but most of them) can really make choice by themselves? No! These big firms control all of resources to control your mind. Your hobbies,your privacy,your mind are under control. You are waht they want you to be,by giving you shit content that you are already addicted to.

Thanked by 1that_guy
  • @Franzkafka said:
    Don't you think that the People(not all,but most of them) can really make choice by themselves? No! These big firms control all of resources to control your mind. Your hobbies,your privacy,your mind are under control. You are waht they want you to be,by giving you shit content that you are already addicted to.

So what's your argument? The people can't think for themselves, so it's better to have the chinese government control their minds than the big firms? :D Winnie is proud of you.

• FranzkafkaFranzkafka Member
    edited July 2022

@mosquitoguy said:

@Franzkafka said:

So what's your argument? The people can't think for themselves, so it's better to have the chinese government control their minds than the big firms? :D Winnie is proud of you.

Seriously we are talking about big firms and government surveillance.Why change the point to " it's better to have the Chinese government control their minds than big firms"?This is your ridiculous logic.You can make fun of me,I don't care. but I see your terrible ignorance.Go on with Facebook and Instagram, don't forget PRISM.Hope you everything well.

Thanked by 1DrSlime
  • @Franzkafka said:
    Seriously we are talking about big firms and government surveillance.Why change the point to " it's better to have the Chinese government control their minds than big firms"?This is your ridiculous logic.

You're saying people can't think for themselves. This means someone else needs to control their minds because they can't make their own decisions. So, tell me who is best to tell them what to do?

I know you're a Winnie cheerleader so stop hiding that baton. Winnie knows best, right? :D

• @mosquitoguy said:

@Franzkafka said:
    Seriously we are talking about big firms and government surveillance.Why change the point to " it's better to have the Chinese government control their minds than big firms"?This is your ridiculous logic.

You're saying people can't think for themselves. This means someone else needs to control their minds because they can't make their own decisions. So, tell me who is best to tell them what to do?

I know you're a Winnie cheerleader so stop hiding that baton. Winnie knows best, right? :D

So what?I am a Winneie cheerleader.Hope this will make you feel better.

• szarkaszarka Member

@TimboJones said:

Hmm? Being compliant with the laws/warrants/orders has always been the way it is and not "bend over for the government", like Meg Whitman at HP who did things without orders to be a good citizen, in her opinion.

That's my point: there is a world of difference between forcing the government to be accountable and doing everything you can to make their activity transparent and just giving up info to the government or other cooperating in surveillance when you don't have to. The former is still possible in the US, even if not all companies choose that path.

Sadly, US companies like Microsoft, Apple, and Google are losing their way on this more and more every year. I still trust some of them to mostly do the right thing for their US customers, but they've already thrown their Chinese customers under the bus.

• @Franzkafka said:
    So what?I am a Winneie cheerleader.Hope this will make you feel better.

No, my point was to point out your attempt to confuse the issue by saying:

Seriously we are talking about big firms and government surveillance

when in fact, you love government surveillance as long as Winnie is in charge.

• KassemKassem Member

@kasodk said: But it will cost Meta a lot of money and they will have to pay more tax in the EU than they do today.

That's nothing to a company of that size and the ROI will definitely be worth it. More DCs to be built in EU, they even could start their own cloud offering.