Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which CPU and Dedicated GPU could be better for Video Editing [Help]
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which CPU and Dedicated GPU could be better for Video Editing [Help]

Hi Community,

My friend is a hiker and makes hiking/trekking videos of his travel on youtube.
He wants to start video editing to showcase his tours and so he needs a laptop.
I helped him find out two of the below within his budget.

1. Intel i5 11th gen 1135G7 (4 Core, 8 Threads), Intel iris xe iGPU, Nvidia 330 MX dedicated gpu (2gb), 8gb DDR4 RAM, SSD. Intel i5 has 2.4 GHz base frequency, 4.2 GHz turbo. The Nvidia 330 MX is: 384 @ 1.53 - 1.59 GH 64 Bit @ 7000 MHz

2. AMD Ryzen 5 5500U (6 core, 12 Threads), AMD Radeon iGPU, Nvidia 1650 GTX dedicated gpu (4gb), 8gb DDR4 RAM, SSD. AMD Ryzen is 2.4 GHz base frequency, 4.0 GHz turbo. The Nvidia 1650 GTX is: 1536 @ 1.46 - 1.59 GHz 192 Bit @ 12000 MHz

Note:
RAM might be upgraded to 16 GB.
Both laptop's price after discount and coupon, etc. is similar. So pricing is not an issue.
Video editing will be done up to max 1080p. No 4K video editing.
Davinci Resolve or similar free/freemium video editor will be used. Nothing fancy, or no high-end video effects are required.
Most video editing software now use multicore.

CPU comparison score:

it shows intel i5 is slightly faster in single-core performance, while AMD is faster in multi-core performance.

Nvidia dedicated GPU comparison score:
Blue is Nvidia 1650 gtx, Red is Nvdia 330mx

Considering CPU and Nvidia Dedicated GPU:

My question is, out of the above two, which one would be better for performance in editing videos?

Should he go with AMD since it has 6 cores with core speed is 4.0 GHz v/s Intel 4 cores with core speed 4.2 GHz? AMD has more powerful Nvidia Dedicated GPU than the laptop that comes with Intel i5.

Poll
  1. Which of the above two laptop configuration should we choose?34 votes
    1. Intel i5, 4 core with Nvidia 330 MX
      14.71%
    2. AMD Ryzen 5, 6 core with Nvidia 1650 GTX
      85.29%

Comments

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

Intel QuickSync is heavily relied upon in certain editing suites and does yield a significant performance benefit in my experience.

That being said, the other machine does have a beefier GPU (although that may use more power/battery) and NVENC can be helpful.

I would probably personally pick the Intel machine if it was just for editing, but I think neither would be a bad choice. (If it was for general performance, I would probably go for the AMD machine based on the 1650).

Thanked by 2letlover JasonM
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Buy both, benchmark, return the unwanted one.

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • 2 because of the GPU and better CPU

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • sotssots Member

I think you should buy a laptop with decent nvidia gpu for video editing. If you have limited budget, try to find a second-hand one. e.g. I think you can get i7 9th or 10th & RTX2060 laptop within your budget. That's far more powerful than the laptops you listed here.

Thanked by 2letlover JasonM
  • sotssots Member

Nvidia MX series gpu cards are just e-garbage. If you insist on these two specs, I would recommend you to buy the AMD one.

• Jake4Jake4 Member

The second laptop specs are much better than the first assuming the laptops thermals are good.

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

Happy to sponsor any cloud GPUs that he can Remote Desktop into to do editing :)

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited July 2022

I use Resolve for almost 6 years exclusively (from 12.5 release).

Both of these laptops are not capable of running this program.
    Not because of CPU. Not because of GPU.
    It's because both machines have just 8GB which is already not enough for Resolve (and it wasn't enough even many years back) and in laptops integrated GPU will allocate some system memory, so its not even 8GB. For example on HP its set to 2GB on Ryzen laptops so you have 6GB of ram left, yay.

Chose anything with at least 16GB.

In terms of CPU and GPU - even old i3 would be enough as long as you want to edit x264 files.
    If you want to edit x265 files (from GoPro for example) then forget about it on free version as it doesn't have HW-accelerated codecs integrated (but on Windows you can install hidden MS codec to fix that, works fine on W10, dunno about W11).

"RAM might be upgraded to 16 GB."
    It MUST be!

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • JasonMJasonM Member
    edited July 2022

@dustinc your view on this is welcome.

@AXYZE said: "RAM might be upgraded to 16 GB." It MUST be!

thanks for the input and detail reply. yes. ram will be upgraded to 16 GB.

• JasonMJasonM Member

@AXYZE how about a laptop which has configuration as: 8GB RAM + 32 GB Intel Optane Memory.

Intel Optane technology is non-volatile memory technology enabling memory-like performance at storage-like capacity and cost

will this work for video editing?

• @JasonM said: how about a laptop which has configuration as: 8GB RAM + 32 GB Intel Optane Memory.

Intel Optane technology is non-volatile memory technology enabling memory-like performance at storage-like capacity and cost

No, buy a laptop which does not have soldered ram and upgrade it yourself.

• JasonMJasonM Member

@NoComment said: No, buy a laptop which does not have soldered ram and upgrade it yourself.

okay. thanks.

• lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

Octane is still has vastly higher latency than RAM. Best to just get more RAM.

Thanked by 2AXYZE JasonM
  • AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited July 2022

@JasonM said:
    @AXYZE how about a laptop which has configuration as: 8GB RAM + 32 GB Intel Optane Memory.

Optane is amazing technology, but in this case you need RAM because of Windows.

On Mac M1 you could chose 8GB no problem.

Windows has divided pools for video & system memory. Apple has unified one.
    If you want to do any GPU operation in Resolve (basically anything, as Resolve is very GPU optimized) it first need to come to RAM and then be duplicated into VRAM.
    Not only that creates waste (if you use 3GB of VRAM then also 3GB system memory is used), but also latency in operations (disk -> system memory -> vram), that's why its important to decrease latency as much as possible - have nice amount of ram to reduce any calls do disk (swap) so its only system memory -> vram.
    On Apple M1 even if something is on disk then it can be rendered from system memory pool, it doesn't need to be transferred to dedicated VRAM pool, as Apple has 'unified memory' so even if you have just 8GB and system is swapping 24/7 then its still just disk -> system memory. No need to transfer to video memory and you dont waste system memory for duplication.

Thats why on Macbook Air M1 8GB you can edit even 4K, but on Windows 8GB don't even try 1080p, it will choke if you add at least 2 minute clip.

I would highly suggest Macbook Air M1 if its going to be video editing machine. Good headphone amp, amazing battery life (couple of hours of video editing instead of just one), amazing speakers, hardware calibrated bright screen with different profile/gamuts in GUI and best antiglare coatings, amazing performance at this price range, completely quiet. Even base 8GB ram is enough, but if you could stretch budget to 16GB then you can easily edit 30+ minute 4K films on that.

Thanked by 2JasonM bulbasaur
  • deloridelori Member

At least use the GTX1660, which has the new NVENc encoder starting with B Frame support. And it has the Turing architecture.Finally, good coding software is also very important.

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@JasonM said:

Where can you find 32GB Optane?

The smallest DIMM is 128GB, which costs around $500 each.
    Larger ones have 512GB and 1.5TB capacity, which costs more per GB.

• NoCommentNoComment Member
    edited July 2022

@yoursunny said: Where can you find 32GB Optane?

The smallest DIMM is 128GB, which costs around $500 each.
    Larger ones have 512GB and 1.5TB capacity, which costs more per GB.

I see it quite often on laptops. It's probably an OEM part meant for laptops and most likely they sell it much cheaper as a package deal with the cpu to the laptop manufacturers.

• HxxxHxxx Member

@JasonM can you share budget limit?

• JasonMJasonM Member

@Hxxx said: can you share budget limit?

It's about 55K INR.

• boylejakeboylejake Member
    edited September 2023

The thread is from a year ago, but the advice you provided for your friend's video editing laptop choice remains relevant. It's great that you helped him explore different options to suit his needs. Given his focus on 1080p editing without high-end effects, both laptop configurations sound like solid choices.

For anyone interested in optimizing their video editing process, an auto video editor like the one from https://www.movavi.com/support/how-to/automatic-video-editor.html could be a valuable asset. It simplifies the editing process and could have been particularly handy for your friend's travel videos.

• Look up the Puget Systems video editing benchmarks - they are the de facto best source of benchmarks for all NLE video systems. Every time I buy a new system, I look at their benchmarks, which they keep up to date for all the major NLEs. Good luck.

• @boylejake said:
    The thread is from a year ago, but the advice you provided for your friend's video editing laptop choice remains relevant. It's great that you helped him explore different options to suit his needs. Given his focus on 1080p editing without high-end effects, both laptop configurations sound like solid choices.

For anyone interested in optimizing their video editing process, an auto video editor like the one from https://www.movavi.com/support/how-to/automatic-video-editor.html could be a valuable asset. It simplifies the editing process and could have been particularly handy for your friend's travel videos.

Congratulations at your new job as shill at Movavi, but first learn how to hide such marketing instead of bumping year old thread with link.

Thanked by 1loay
This discussion has been closed.