Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Setting up a free phone booth for Ukraine refugees to call into Ukraine and/or other EU countries.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Setting up a free phone booth for Ukraine refugees to call into Ukraine and/or other EU countries.

stefemanstefeman Member
edited July 2022 in Help

Im thinking about setting such system up into some public area in association with some organization. Im still working on specific details, whetever it will be mobile terminals (phones) or via laptops using headphones and desktop app.

In any case, what would be the best (and cheapest) way to provide such service if we have devices and standard 100Mbps dedicated internet connection which could be offered during open hours at physical location.

Im mainly looking for web phone providers with and without android apps that allow international calls at cheap (based on market rates) price.

Requirements would be calling only. There would be no need for receiving calls as the people who make the calls, only spend few tens of minutes to few hours at the area receiving supplies. This would also be unmoderated line, there would be privacy for the caller, so nobody will hear what they say, so theres also things about possible abuse to consider.

It would need to support calling to normal phone numbers via some service. The basic idea is that, people who are unable to use whatsapp/telegram/messanger are able to make normal calls home to relatives and/or important stuff.

How would you guys do this setup in the fastest way and what SIP or call service provider would you recommend for this?

Thanked by 1farsighter

Comments

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited July 2022

I'm looking into freebpx since apparently that is cheaper as I could choose my own providers.

It doesen't look too hard to setup. https://wiki.freepbx.org/display/FPG/Configuring+Your+PBX#ConfiguringYourPBX-RegisteryourPBX

• Also for EU calls look for normal sim card maybe, it would likely be cheaper, I'm pretty sure many UK sim cards have unlimited EU calls for like 10£ a month or even less

Thanked by 2yoursunny stefeman
    edited July 2022

@szymonp said:
    Also for EU calls look for normal sim card maybe, it would likely be cheaper, I'm pretty sure many UK sim cards have unlimited EU calls for like 10£ a month or even less

Finland has those too. Thanks for suggestion.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Localphone SIP service allows you to hook onto any softphone including apps and Asterisk.
    Call rates to Ukraine is USD 10.9 cents for landline and 19.9 cents for mobile.
    Notice: paid link on first line, non-aff on second line.

Thanked by 1stefeman
    edited July 2022

@yoursunny said:
    Localphone SIP service allows you to hook onto any softphone including apps and Asterisk.
    Call rates to Ukraine is USD 10.9 cents for landline and 19.9 cents for mobile.
    Notice: paid link on first line, non-aff on second line.

Also found these via certain user that was kind to PM me:

https://www.voipkredi.com/page.php?page=betamax-dellmont
    https://www.actionvoip.com

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • HotmarerHotmarer Member
    edited July 2022

Check sipdiscount.com

I use also voipdiscount.com. You can setup your own phone number as CallerID.

• Would be pretty useless. Skype offers free calls to Ukraine since March btw.
    Most people however use mobile phones and not landlines, and standard Whatsapp/Viber/Telegram apps with video are much more popular.

• tjntjn Member
    edited July 2022

There are no shortage of SIP providers that will you let you make calls to Ukraine - it doesn't seem to be one of the cheaper (relatively) places to make calls to though.

Anveo Direct prime and standard routes average out to ~$0.20/min. This is more of a wholesale offering.

DID Logic come out to $0.16/min for national/landline calls and about ~$0.24/min for mobile calls. They have a $25min spend per month though.

There's always the larger Twilio and Telnyx, whom I bet if you contacted might be willing to work out a deal with you - as a non-profit.

How many concurrent calls and total minutes do you think you'll try to offer?

In terms of PBXs FreePBX is very good, super flexible, very powerful.

However, I would also recommend you have a look at 3CX's free offering. If you're new to VoIP/PBXs it's easier to use, manage and install. Their application is free, super easy to provision on mobiles and desktops and you won't have to mess around with firewalls, NAT, etc as it just wraps everything in a tunnel.

If you need any help (for free!) with FreePBX or 3CX let me know, I'm partnered with both and actively manage a number of PBXs.

Edit:
    As @szymonp mentioned, Skype seem to have some of the cheapest rates on the market and you'd have virtually zero setup.
    https://www.skype.com/en/international-calls/Ukraine

• @luckypenguin said:
    Would be pretty useless. Skype offers free calls to Ukraine since March btw.
    Most people however use mobile phones and not landlines, and standard Whatsapp/Viber/Telegram apps with video are much more popular.

Yeah, every ukrainian person I know has telegram

• kendidkendid Veteran

Most Ukrainians use viber