Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it the provider's obligation to provide a Mainland China accessible network?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

toppertopper Member
edited July 2022 in General

Greeting from Hong Kong.
Recently I'm working on a k3s test project with some hearted Chinese friends.
Basically want to try out whether the latency and loss rate be a seriously problem in k3s setup

For the database, I purchase greencloudvps for this project (the price per GB of RAM really suits this case)
But they gave me an IP that is inaccessible from Mainland China.

So I open the ticket and they require me to pay $3 to change IP,
I really think it's not my fault for getting this IP inaccessible from Mainland China,
and I shouldn't be punished for the crime the last user committed.

They test the connection from them office and reply me the connection is normal.
It really sounds like to me that they can block all income traffic and leave them office network in the firewall white list, and let customers pay $3 to get a usable IP for each time they purchase a new server.

Do you think it should be an obligation for the provider to provide an accessible network at least for the first time?

Do you think it should be an obligation for the provider to provide an accessible network at least f
  1. Do you think it should be an obligation for the provider to provide an accessible network at least f89 votes
    1. Yes, but only for the first time
      26.97%
    2. No, even for the first time
      73.03%

Comments

• Not the providers fault that china is a dictatorship 🤷‍♂️

• JabJabJabJab Member
    edited July 2022

@topper said: I really think it's not my fault for getting this IP inaccessible from Mainland China

and how is this provider fault?
    How many IP changes do you think is enough if other IPs are 'blocked' too?
    10 is enough?

Provider can, but is not obligate to accommodate you.

Don't you want to raise that discussion with your government? Oh wait.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • Not the providers problem if your government blocks a IP address. They provided their side of the deal with a working network.

Thanked by 3adly Jake4 ralf
  • @topper said:
    I really think it's not my fault for getting this IP inaccessible from Mainland China,
    and I shouldn't be punished for the crime the last user committed.

In case you didn't get the previous comment, it's China that's blocking you for the crime the last user committed, so if you want anyone to blame....

Thanked by 2adly maverickp
  • toppertopper Member
    edited July 2022

@JabJab said:

@topper said: I really think it's not my fault for getting this IP inaccessible from Mainland China

and how is this provider fault?
    How many IP changes do you think is enough if other IPs are 'blocked' too?
    10 is enough?

Provider can, but is not obligate to accommodate you.

Don't you want to raise that discussion with your government? Oh wait.

It seems that I have been thinking something wrong, Thanks for your opinion.
    I just pay $3 and get a usable IP.

• HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider

@szymonp said:
    Not the providers fault that china is a dictatorship 🤷‍♂️

This

• MumblyMumbly Member

@topper said: I just pay $3 and get a usable IP.

There is no guarantee that this new IP will work. It kinda sucks and I feel for you, however that's really not provider's fault.

• toppertopper Member
    edited July 2022

@Mumbly said:

@topper said: I just pay $3 and get a usable IP.

There is no guarantee that this new IP will work. It kinda sucks and I feel for you, however that's really not provider's fault.

Thanks for your opinion.
    Actually, if they not said

Or we can change the IP can connect in China for you for $3/ip/time

I may choose to use my Oracle VPS to relay the DB connection
    :D

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Greeting from Antarctica.
    Recently I'm working on a push-up test project with some butted North Korea buddies.
    Basically want to try out whether the latency and loss rate be a seriously problem in push-up setup.

For the database, I purchase OVH for this project (the price per core really suits this case)
    But they gave me an IP that is inaccessible from North Korea.

So I open the ticket and they require me to pay €99 to change IP,
    I really think it's not my fault for getting this IP inaccessible from North Korea,
    and I shouldn't be punished for the mischief the last chairman committed.

They test the connection from them office and reply me the connection is normal.
    It really sounds like to me that they can block all income traffic and leave them office network in the firewall allow list, and let customers pay €99 to get a usable IP for each time they purchase a new server.

Do you think it should be an obligation for the provider to provide an accessible network at least for the first time?

Thanked by 1Hotmarer
  • emghemgh Member

@yoursunny said: push-up

:(

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

Providers IMO should provide an IP accessible to you on new orders.

Now if you were to get the IP blocked, i.e GFW -- then of course it would be reasonable to pay a fee for their time to swap an IP.

For this reason, we do not charge to change an IP should an end-user have an issue within their first 72 hours of service. After that, users are advised to pay a small one-time fee, for our admin time to swap the IP and or if desired, wait for the IP to be removed from filtering.

Thanked by 2J0rmo topper
  • szarkaszarka Member

If the IP is listed on RBLs, then it is the provider's responsibility to clean up the mess or give you another one.

If a government is blocking your access to the free and open Internet, then I feel for you and I wish you luck in migrating to a freer country or finding a way to circumvent your government's censorship. But asking the provider to make it their problem is unfair.

Thanked by 2FrankRuan topper

@szarka said:
    If a government is blocking your access to the free and open Internet, then I feel for you and I wish you luck in migrating to a freer country or finding a way to circumvent your government's censorship.

If I get a blocked IP and am willing to migrate to a freer country, can the provider help with that?
    Ticket# 666999.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited July 2022

Even if the Provided IP works, there is no guarantee for how long.
    Best option: Leave your country if you want less censored internet.

• szarkaszarka Member

@yoursunny said:

@szarka said:
    If a government is blocking your access to the free and open Internet, then I feel for you and I wish you luck in migrating to a freer country or finding a way to circumvent your government's censorship.

If I get a blocked IP and am willing to migrate to a freer country, can the provider help with that?
    Ticket# 666999.

No, you need to start a thread here on LET for that.

• Why not just use a hourly VPS host? If a IP gets blocked, delete the VPS and create another.....

Thanked by 2FrankZ topper
  • It depends on their clients' targeting market.
    They'd better inform this (IP may not accessable from China) before client purchase.

Thanked by 1topper

@lowendclient said:
    They'd better inform this (IP may not accessable from China) before client purchase.

The best low-cost provider is already doing that:
    @Cam says "blocked in Russia

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Unless they've explicitly mentioned or advertised that access/connectivity from Mainland China is guaranteed, then no :)

Thanked by 1topper
  • Greetings from mainland China
    Well GFW truly sucks, and the people who invented it is(are) truly motherfuckers.
    But in my opinion, this is not the fault of providers, they are just doing their own business.
    Use ping.pe, if this IP works everywhere except China. (Russia & North Korea are excluded anyway) Then you should think of a solution by yourself, the provider can't and shouldn't change a usable IP for you, just because you are in China and it's blocked. This is unfair to other people.
    Well as a Chinese, you truly gets the right to use your machine properly, but the IP being blocked is just because of the government and we are just nobodies, there's literally nothing the provider nor us can do.
    The problem is, the IP being blocked must have a reason. Like the previous owner? They do illegal things. So may be you can try to submit an appeal to miit.gov.cn and see if they will accept. (Probably no... You risk putting yourself in the jail, that's China.)

Bottomline then, it's not the provider's fault and you should always rethink about yourself.

Thanked by 1topper
  • @DP said:

Unless they've explicitly mentioned or advertised that access/connectivity from Mainland China is guaranteed, then no :)

Well then they must have bought China Telecom CN2 Network(AS4809) or China Unicom Global(AS9929/AS10099) or China Mobile CMI. Or even IPLC/IEPL, aka. private line.
    Usually if you buy that, they are EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE, and GFW usually ignores them, the Telecom would contact GFW and whitelist them.(experienced)

Thanked by 1topper
  • @lowendclient said:
    It depends on their clients' targeting market.

Well they are oversea providers to China and there's no simple way to tell customers if the IP is unusable in mainland. That's all government's fault, government can ban the IP anytime, anywhere, if the IP is accessed in China.

Thanked by 2lowendclient topper
  • @MatthewM said:
    Why not just use a hourly VPS host? If a IP gets blocked, delete the VPS and create another.....

Oh yeah, but what if the WHOLE POOL is blocked? Like every April/May/June, some pools may be entirely blocked.
    Fuck GFW, dick.

Thanked by 1topper
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@FrankRuan 4 posts in a row. You can quote different members and reply to them in 1 post. Just FYI.

Thanked by 2webcraft topper
  • @Arkas said:
    @FrankRuan 4 posts in a row. You can quote different members and reply to them in 1 post. Just FYI.

Okay, I will pay attention to that later.

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • It's hard to discuss right and wrong.

As far as I know, most service providers I know are willing to replace an available IP resource for you when you use it for the first time (within 24-72 hours).

Although China has a block list, most of the time it doesn't block for no reason, and frankly, it can be seen as some kind of government-certified ip reputation issue, and your predecessor just screwed this up.

My advice is to stay away from the green cloud and choose a provider that is willing to offer usable ip replacement service for the first time.

It's not anyone's fault, just leave.

Thanked by 1topper
  • vyas11vyas11 Member

OP,

Thanks for making me laugh early in the morning - makes my day. Have a good one.

• @FrankRuan said:

Yeah so it's just inform Chinese clients the provider may not suitable for them.
    Mainland China clients can choose providers under government monitoring like Alibaba Cloud, Tencent Cloud, they can promise a IP able to use.
    However most Chinese uses the VPS to break national firewall that will cause IP blocked and their account suspended if using China providers.

Thanked by 1topper
  • @lowendclient said:

@FrankRuan said:

Yeah so it's just inform Chinese clients the provider may not suitable for them.
    Mainland China clients can choose providers under government monitoring like Alibaba Cloud, Tencent Cloud, they can promise a IP able to use.
    However most Chinese uses the VPS to break national firewall that will cause IP blocked and their account suspended if using China providers.

Well actually no... Alibaba and Tencent's IP will be blocked either. GFW needs to eat some dicks.
    (I said I am a Chinese in China so I bought Alibaba and Tencent's VPS before, the IP will still be blocked.)

Thanked by 1topper
  • Instead of complaining here, it is better to buy a service provider opened by the Chinese. All the Chinese service providers I know, if you buy their vps and the assigned ip is blocked by gfw, they will change the ip for you for free within 24 hours. Yes, this is free, but only if you do not use it. over this vps. All you need to do is test with ping.pe, issue a ticket, it's that simple.

Thanked by 2szymonp topper