Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question for providers, what model of router to support 1 million packets/second should I buy
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Question for providers, what model of router to support 1 million packets/second should I buy

CalinCalin Member, Patron Provider

Hello LET , for a few weeks I have been looking to buy a cisco router that can support 1 million/packet per second, for a customers with some project, I would like to know any recommendation from you? I talked to my provider and he doesn't know what model is needed, several types were tested, I had a 16-core mikrotik that didn't work, after that I had a cisco model C1111 that didn't work either and in the end a fortigate that turned out to be weaker than the Cisco C1111 and the mikrotik combined. My supplier will buy me that router so the budget is 3,500 euros, if anyone can tell me a recommendation? What you use in the data center

Thanks for help!

Regards,
Calin

Comments

• @Calin said: can tell me a recommendation?

Find a new provider.

• HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2022

It depends. What features do you need etc etc etc. How many ports, what will you have to be done.

Tell us more about your customers project.

1mpps is nothing.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

What are you planning to do, just route? Of is your performance suffering due to firewall or NAT rules?

Most (all) hardware accelerated routers should be able to handle very close to 1.44Mpps at 1G. I would expect most software routers provided they have a decent CPU (Xeon not Atom) could do the same as well.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

If the budget was higher, I'd say MX204. At this budget - I'd go with TNSR or 6WIND on good hardware. I am fairly certain that both platforms will easily crunch 1M PPS. I've seen Quagga doing close to that on modern hardware.

• CalinCalin Member, Patron Provider

Hello @HostSlick the router does not need many ports, the configuration will be next
    A 1 GBps connection will enter the router through the SFP port, and will exit through the UTP port to the server, there will be no switch between the router and the server

Hello @SplitIce my current C1111 router that I have right now sends maximum 300kmpps , the router must not have any firewall configuration, it must send 1 mpps with a lot of IPs and a lot of proxies (I'm not talking about illegal activities) I'm just talking about tests for different sites and that's why i m need that amount of 1 million packets per second

Thanks for your time , I really appreciate the help

• CalinCalin Member, Patron Provider

@AlexBarakov hello , I will talk to my provider and I will see your recommendation, thank you, my provider informed me that he will want to buy this router model (Router Cisco ASR920 Series - 12GE and 2-10GE - AC ) but he also doesn't know exactly if he can send 1 mpps

Thanks!

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

@Calin Its not clear what you are doing that's lowering your performance to that level. 300k PPS is abysmally low for modern hardware even at the low price point.

• Get mikrotik's high end router CCR1072-1G-8S+ $3350
    Advertises 120m PPS
    Unless you want Cisco which would probably be x5-10 the cost
    And you should expect that you'll only get the router 6 months later due to shortages unless buying used

• szarkaszarka Member

@SplitIce said:
    @Calin Its not clear what you are doing that's lowering your performance to that level. 300k PPS is abysmally low for modern hardware even at the low price point.

^---- THIS

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

We had success with one million packets per second per port, sum of in and out directions, on the Mellanox SN2700 switch.

• Oh, cociu is back!