Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need guidance: setup an SS VPN on a VPS for jumping GFW.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need guidance: setup an SS VPN on a VPS for jumping GFW.

I know how to set up SS via linux. I've already set one up as experiment. I'm just at a loss as to how to check if any given VPS will be suitable for my use case. Connecting from Mainland China, want very low ping to asia region game servers, stability as well as high monthly throughput.

After speaking with a few VPS providers, they've given me IP addresses to check the ping to. I can do that, but that doesn't really give me a full picture as to how it might perform while gaming + streaming to twitch. Not really sure what questions to even ask the providers. I could get my game server IPs as well. Not sure how to fit that in the appraisal either.

I've read some threads mentioning undersea cables and ISPs, some numbers (9929?) as well as potential routing. I need guidance as to how to make heads or tails of this stuff when deciding which VPS to go with.

Looking to keep monthly costs below 20USD / Month.

Thanks for the input.

Comments

• foitinfoitin Member
    edited July 2022

You come to the wrong place.
    For this question you'll need to ask MJJs. Only they know how a given provider's VPS works in China.

There's hostloc aka MJJ den but there're simply too many jargons in there. It's nearly impossible to understand what they're talking about with a translator so you'll have to know someone who's really good at MJJese.

There're tons of lurking MJJs here but the vast majority can't speak English properly with only few exceptions.
    I remember @sots said he's a student in Shanghai and his English is pretty good. He could be of help.

Are you an expat in China though?

Thanked by 1tanglu
  • Low latency + Direct route + Stable infra
    You don't have much choices:
    https://www.dmit.io/cart.php?a=add&pid=124

• foitinfoitin Member
    edited July 2022

@lowendclient said:
    Low latency + Direct route + Stable infra

1 vCPU
    1.5 GB RAM
    20G SSD Storage
    500GB Transfer
    100Mbps VirtIO Interface
    1 IPv4 & 1 IPv6 /64

Monthly:
    $69.90 USD
    for a VPS?

What the actual f?
    Not even a dedi costs that much. :/

What, like they rent a room specifically for this VPS?

• Maybe try oracle, one of their asian datacenters

• Yeah, the experts for this topic are at hostloc. But imo aws should work really well for "gaming + streaming". Probably check out lightsail in singapore, japan and korea and see which one works best with gfw.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited July 2022

Self hosted V2Ray on some smaller provider is the only sure way.

V2Ray VPN works on almost all platforms.

Thanked by 1AXYZE
  • @foitin said: For this question you'll need to ask MJJs

What exactly is an MJJ?

I am an expat in China.

• @stefeman said:

V2Ray VPN works on almost all platforms

I've had success with Outline so far

• h2oh2o Member

@Alwickths said:

@foitin said: For this question you'll need to ask MJJs

What exactly is an MJJ?

I am an expat in China.

Huh? So you should order a roaming mobile plan from your country if you're a really foreigner.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • dwightdwight Member
    edited July 2022

@Alwickths said:

@stefeman said:

V2Ray VPN works on almost all platforms

I've had success with Outline so far

ShadowSocks And ShadowSocksR are very old protocol
    Their traffic can be accurately identified by GFW
    If you just want to speed up steam games,buy a vps may not be the best option
    I think the game accelerator or buying proxy service(It is called ”机场“ and use v2ray protocol )provided by Chinese can be the better choices.
    Forexample 网易UU网游加速器 is available

• dwightdwight Member

PS: V2RAY doesn't implement game global proxy without tools.
    Generally speaking, if you consider building your own proxy server, u can install v2ray server in you linux and use Netch or Clash Cilent(They can support TUN mode )。

they are available in GitHub.

• xiaobei206xiaobei206 Member
    edited July 2022

Just login to tell you that MJJs at hostloc already notice your thread.

Don't use your own vps to build proxy as game accelerator. Your game data will be QOS by the ISP and you will be laggy. This is because of the GFW. However, if you subscribe the legal game accelerator such as "网易UU", then your line will not be gone through the GFW.

For twitch streaming, I think high ping will not be a problem, the bandwidth is. So rent a VPS.

Try these and you'll see what is suitable for you. (MJJ: budget $20 per month for this?Damn!that Laowai is rich!)

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@xiaobei206 said:
    Just login to tell you that MJJs at hostloc already notice your thread.

https://hostloc.com/thread-1042451-1-3.html

lol

• Ss will be detected and blocked, use v2ray or hysteria. For easier way, you can order transfer package for foreigners.

• youheiyouhei Member

With a rich budget, you can consider buying servers with 'iPLC' or 'iepl' lines. They are real game lines, comparable to game accelerators.

This should be a relatively cheap iPLC service provider
    https://www.inkisp.cc/cart.php?gid=71&aff=707

• wycrowwycrow Member

It is not easy to find a low-latency and stable server to China.
    If you are using China Mobile network, then you need to purchase a server with CMI route for both outbound and inbound.
    If you are using China Unicom network, then you need to purchase a server with 9929 route for both outbound and inbound. Japan Softbank route also suitable for Unicom.
    If you are using China Telecom network, then you need to purchase a server with GIA CN2 route for both outbound and inbound.
    By the way, if you wanna connect to asia region game servers with stable and low latency, you'd better buy an online game accelerator, like UU Accelerator. Otherwise you need to buy IPLC route VPS, which is really expensive.

Thanked by 1lowendclient
  • liuliliuli Member

@szymonp said:
    Maybe try oracle, one of their asian datacenters

If you sign up for oracle with a Bank of China visa card, usually you will fail.
    Maybe IP problem,maybe card problem.

• @foitin said:

@lowendclient said:
    Low latency + Direct route + Stable infra

1 vCPU
    1.5 GB RAM
    20G SSD Storage
    500GB Transfer
    100Mbps VirtIO Interface
    1 IPv4 & 1 IPv6 /64

Monthly:
    $69.90 USD
    for a VPS?

What the actual f?
    Not even a dedi costs that much. :/

What, like they rent a room specifically for this VPS?

The price for China Telecom premium route in Hongkong is around $100 per Mbps (Maybe higher these years).

Another choice is to use IPLC as others said but much more configures (Like multiple proxies)

• sotssots Member

You'd better buy proxy services from those Chinese providers aka "机场" as they can give you stable and low-latency proxy in reasonable price (e.g. you can get a yearly plan instead of a monthly one for $20).
    If you want to setup a private proxy server, I would recommend you to buy a vps from netfront as they offer unlimited bandwidth and low latency servers, which is better for livestreaming.

• @riofredinand what is the transfer package for foreigners?

• @wycrow Thank you, this is the info that I need. You're awesome.

• @dwight said: think the game accelerator or buying proxy service(It is called ”机场“ and use v2ray protocol )provided by Chinese can be the better choices.

@dwight I've had mixed results with this and is a pain in the ass as game accelerators don't tunnel twitch. It's basically impossible to have a game accelerator + a usable VPN on at the same time (for ex: astrill)

• @dwight said: Generally speaking, if you consider building your own proxy server, u can install v2ray server in you linux and use Netch or Clash Cilent(They can support TUN mode )。

Ok, I haven't heard of v2ray or hyteria before. Does anyone know if they're fast? suitable for gaming? Also, difficulty of installation or configuration?

• LingyuLingyu Member

Don't use SS or SSR in China Mainland,they are already outdate!
    GFW can easily detect such traffic and then block the server IP
    If you just need watch stream or visit google,Almost every provider can meet your need.

Since China mainland's International export bandwidth are very congested(Only 11Tbps,not include Taiwan,Hongkong and Macau), telecom operators will lower the priority of the network for ordinary users and leave the bandwidth for higher-ranking users, which is also known as QOS.

In that case,you'd better use the https://uu.163.com/ for gaming
    (I don't know how to describe it by English)。
    They have higher priority bandwidth and can effectively avoid packet loss and high latency。Trust me ,it's best choice for online game
    If you need more detail,just email me.I'm in Chinamainland,sone terms are difficult for for Foreigners,such as AS4837 AS9929,CN2,GIA GFW or IPLC

• You only play games you can buy 游戏加速器,in chinese it that called,in English means gmae booster, almost its means
    upstairs say netease uu is one of them,You can also use 迅游,奇游,雷神,and others

• dwightdwight Member
    edited July 2022

@Alwickths said:

@dwight said: Generally speaking, if you consider building your own proxy server, u can install v2ray server in you linux and use Netch or Clash Cilent(They can support TUN mode )。

Ok, I haven't heard of v2ray or hyteria before. Does anyone know if they're fast? suitable for gaming? Also, difficulty of installation or configuration?

You can find one-click install scripts for linux on github.com. V2ray or hyteriaare just proxy software and the speed depends on the network of your vps. They are not really vpn the technical principle. I think anyway you need to know how to use software to take over global traffic via WinTUN driver of virtual adapter(This is usually done automatically by software). The global tun proxy is often done through software(netch、 clash), and only the node configuration needs to be added to it
    If your Chinese is very good, you can search a lot of knowledge about this on youtube, I believe that the video explanation is easier than learning here. But the videos langguage almost are chinese
    Buying the proxy package with IPLC tunnel is the choice of satisfy both sides.This service tends to provide high-speed but relatively high-latency normal nodes and game-specific speed-limited nodes.
    Almost all the way of crossing GFW are based on v2ray now.
    Here are some search keywords on youtube : “机场” “v2ray 网卡” "clash"

• LoganoLogano Member
    edited July 2022

Try the Mudfish.net pay as you go plan. You'll get VPN access to many different DCs of your choice to test your connection. Then, since traffic is expensive there, get your own VPS from said DC.

Here's their server list:
    https://mudfish.net/server/status
    (There are no China DCs)

You'll also be able to get RTT (pings) to all servers once you log in. Their UI is a bit convoluted, though, so explore.

I don't know much about Chinese connections or streaming, but maybe you should also consider a split tunneling VPN so that you run your home connection to your game and the VPN to Twitch or wherever? Then you won't need to look for a single DC that has good connections to both your game and Twitch?

• For vpn, we all use vmess+ws+tls mixed encryption,to cross gfw. However, it should be noted that the process of encryption and decryption in this way will cause the delay to increase.But this is the most efficient way to obfuscate gfw.

• chiron688chiron688 Member
    edited July 2022

As for why the bandwidth in Hong Kong is so expensive, I can give you a specific figure. In Hong Kong, I bought 9929 bandwidth from China Unicom (China Unicom's premium line directly connected to mainland China), and the price is about $70/1mbps, cn2gia (China Telecom direct connection) The top line in mainland China), the price is about 100 US dollars / 1mbps. This price is exchanged for very low latency. It takes about 20-30ms to connect to mainland China, and the bandwidth can be full at any time during the evening peak.