Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Is the operating system running on a virtual machine if it's installed via qemu?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is the operating system running on a virtual machine if it's installed via qemu?

comXyzcomXyz Member
edited July 2022 in Help

Hi everyone,

I found some tutorials on the internet to install operating system using custom iso on the servers without the ip-kvm/ipmi access.

After reading many articles, I still have no ideas if after the installation is done, I have a real operating system running on the bare metal server, or if I have a virtual machine running that operating system on qemu.

Here is the example to use qemu to install Ubuntu

printf "change vnc password\n%s\n" Password | qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -m 10240 -hda /dev/nvme0n1 -hdb /dev/nvme1n1 -cdrom ubuntu.iso -boot d -vnc :0,password -monitor stdio

Comments

• aiden1aiden1 Member

No, you mount the actual drive instead of a qcow2 img or similar.

Thanked by 1comXyz
  • SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

Here hda /dev/nvme0n1 -hdb /dev/nvme1n1 , you are directly installing OS on disk , so next time if you boot from those disk , that operating system you installed as KVM should now boot directly on your bare-metal .

In other wods, concept is install OS through Qemu as KVM but install directly on disk and then reboot system from those disks so you get full fledged OS on bare metal where you do not have IPMI access.

Thanked by 2Abd comXyz