Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Translation services
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Translation services

SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep
edited June 2022 in General

Has anyone here got experience with any specific (low cost) translation services?

For site language strings, not documents.

Most of the people I've asked have only used Fiverr, is this the way to go?

Bonus points if they had no problem with minor technical phrases (ports, domains, etc)

Comments

• How many languages? Why don't you use google translate or another and let the rest of members here review it? :smile:

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

@mrclown You don't need to tempt me to take the economical route, I'm already scheming ways to do just that :)

I've got a few very kind customers who are going to help with some languages.

Inevitably however there will be some languages that will need to be commercially translated. Its only 450 words, so it's not going to be super costly.

On a technical note, two people I've asked about translations have prefered AWS AI translations over Google, Bing and Deepl. I'm curious to see how many words are different between their results and the AWS machine translation.

• mrclownmrclown Member
    edited June 2022

Amazon translate is more accurate. You can try that too but let some human (members) here review it once again.

Thanked by 1caracal
  • I’m sure some people will bite for a measly $100 x4b credit > @mrclown said:

Amazon translate is more accurate. You can try that too but let some human (members) here review it once again.

• PolicePolice Member

If you need help with Spanish let me know.

• nfnnfn Veteran
    edited June 2022

https://crowdin.com/

You can share your project with volunteers, use crowding translation or connect with translation engines like Google / Microsoft / Amazone / Deeplr.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

I can help with Portuguese translation.

• KassemKassem Member

Decide the languages you really want to translate instead of going for 100 languages or something and then find human translators here: https://www.upwork.com/

Believe it or not, machine translation is still not up to par with human translation.

• afnafn Member

@Kassem said: Believe it or not, machine translation is still not up to par with human translation.

believe it or not, humans (feelancers) are usually bad too. I have seen a lot of poorly translated shit in Wordpress in few of the languages I speak, and these are translated by humans.

• KassemKassem Member

@afn said:

@Kassem said: Believe it or not, machine translation is still not up to par with human translation.

believe it or not, humans (feelancers) are usually bad too. I have seen a lot of poorly translated shit in Wordpress in few of the languages I speak, and these are translated by humans.

As someone said before, you pay poorly, you usually get poor results. Vet your translators properly and use well paid translators instead of the cheapest possible rates and you should see better results. Machine translations can be helpful providing the translator with first drafts that requires proper review (that's what translation companies do) and editing.

Thanked by 1afn
  • sotssots Member

If you can put your translation on Crowdin, I may help you with Chinese translation.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 2022

I can do Bulgarian translation for whatever you are willing to throw (450 words).

• Count me in for Spanish/Portuguese - Brazilian translations.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Thank you everyone for your offers and links (they have been noted).

I'm happy with the machine translate and then edit aproach. It's what we are going with currently for the translations we are managing with customer support. We used Google Translate for the es and de (not live, human edits not yet commited) languages at https://github.com/X4BNet/static-page-i8n however since translator reviewed AWS translations as better I'll likely be re-writing the script to use that for future translations performed in this assisted manner.

I will also be improving the process to remove duplicate phrases (to save translation time) and providing a work sheet in a word/google document (which we can bulk import into json).

Still looking for more reviews or tips from people who have conducted these projects before. Services people have used successfully for example. I actually figured there would be a few people here who had translated their projects or portals.

Initially we will be targeting regions we operate PoPs in (or will soon) and a couple additional regions we have specific/customer interest in.

• ralfralf Member

Actually, getting translations from customers is good (although you might want to give them something back as a thankyou). The biggest problem IMHO is domain experience.

Asking a random native English speaker to paraphrase your prose about DDoS mitigation would probably also result in meaningless twaddle, and in that regard your customers are a good bet because they know what your product is supposed to do.

OTOH, they clearly didn't need the translation that much because they're already a customer, so do you even need a translation? Don't forget, you'll have to maintain all these translations every time you add a new service, which could easily lead to costs down the line and you might end up with customers who expect support in that language too.