Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AWS SES vs MXRoute vs Postmark - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

AWS SES vs MXRoute vs Postmark

2»

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited June 2022

@szarka said:

@ralf said:
    Actually, I'm wondering just how bad delivery actually is doing it yourself.

My IP is (or at least was when I set it up) totally clean, but since then it seems the entire OVH AS has been added to UCEPROTECT3.

I've only had problems sending once, but I mostly only use my outgoing mail server to send to my own gmail account, family and my one client. The one time there was a problem, the client had just reconfigured their mail server and they were missing a lot of mail, not just mine.

Thankfully, it doesn't seem like anyone is really using UCEPROTECT levels 2 or 3 to block outright. My OVH IP's range shows up periodically on 2 and for long stretches on 3, but deliverability issues are rare. The only significant problems I or my customers have had over the years have tended to be from odd custom rules that some random mail server administrator put in at some point, which are harder to find and to get anyone to do anything about (which is why @jar's approach of trying multiple outbound channels seems like a good way to go).

Yeah UCE L2 and L3 aren't recommended to be used as a normal RBL, even by the people that make it. They're maybe to help inform deeper algorithms, like maybe add a small score to your overall spam score at most. L1 is the real blacklist and it's actually pretty solid.

I had to add all of OVH to my blacklist and then whitelist good actors recently. It's only a season though and I hope it's a short one. I RBL'd my own boxes (they don't send mail so not worth the effort to whitelist).

Thanked by 1ralf
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@szarka said:

@ralf said:

My IP is (or at least was when I set it up) totally clean, but since then it seems the entire OVH AS has been added to UCEPROTECT3.

I've only had problems sending once, but I mostly only use my outgoing mail server to send to my own gmail account, family and my one client. The one time there was a problem, the client had just reconfigured their mail server and they were missing a lot of mail, not just mine.

Thankfully, it doesn't seem like anyone is really using UCEPROTECT levels 2 or 3 to block outright. My OVH IP's range shows up periodically on 2 and for long stretches on 3, but deliverability issues are rare. The only significant problems I or my customers have had over the years have tended to be from odd custom rules that some random mail server administrator put in at some point, which are harder to find and to get anyone to do anything about (which is why @jar's approach of trying multiple outbound channels seems like a good way to go).

It’s not your actual IP is blocked by scam UCEPROTECT, they just notifying everyone in block that they blocklisted a whole subnet even if your IP address is nothing to do with spam (as per their website), but they wish to have $$$ to whitelist your IP address.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited June 2022

@WebProject said:

@szarka said:

@ralf said:

It’s not your actual IP is blocked by scam UCEPROTECT, they just notifying everyone in block that they blocklisted a whole subnet even if your IP address is nothing to do with spam (as per their website), but they wish to have $$$ to whitelist your IP address.

Which is fine, because if you're blocking email based on the L2/3 list (where what you describe takes place) you would in fact be the idiot who directly ignored when they told you not to use it for that, so who cares if your IP is on it. If you care it's for vanity only, so you should have to pay for wasting someone's time for vanity.

Charging for that is genius. It takes advantage of people who stare directly at the facts and say "If I could read that might be valuable information." If people are going to ignore facts again and again and make guesses in the dark about their email problems, and then assume their guesses to be verified fact, might as well make a dollar off of them. They're going to spend it all in some arcade claw machine anyway.

Customers who bitch about L3 listings for their rented IPs aren't qualified to manage servers anyway. The ones that demand refunds over it, better earlier than later, they're going to leave at some point. I should just make an RBL that lists 0.0.0.0/0 and make every VPS provider go out of business for having blacklisted IPs lol. Doesn't even have to be used for anything, just to troll.

• szarkaszarka Member

@WebProject said:

@szarka said:

@ralf said:

Level 1 is a per IP listing, unlike levels 2 and 3. Anyway, they didn't invent this approach to listing. (In fact, Vixie's original RBL started out as a BGP feed listing entire networks.) I don't find it very useful, but it's not necessarily a scam. The fact that 2 and 3 list networks, not individual IPs, should be obvious to anyone with half a brain.

• LeviLevi Member

Ou yea, all that rage against uce :D . Negligence, poor decision making, profit vs sanity. All this leads to being listed on uce.