Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LXC LXD Docker KVM Hypervisor ESI-X
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LXC LXD Docker KVM Hypervisor ESI-X

Which one is the best for VPS?

Comments

• totototototo Member

I think KVM is better in most cases.

• dev077dev077 Member

KVM + Docker

Thanked by 1letlover
  • Pllppppppllppplpplllplpppppplpppppplpplppppppppppppppppppllppppppppplppppppppppppppppplppppppppplppllppppplpppppplllpllpppplpplpplplppppp

• If you own the server, LXC/LXD because there's no hypervisor so less overhead. If you don't own the server and pay for a vps, it doesn't matter because you're crammed with 50 other people. Business dictates that idle/free resources should be used up to maximize revenue.

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

As a consumer I prefer KVM but for most of my purposes anything works so long as the system is reliable

• Please delete my comment above. Thank you

• GanonkGanonk Member

@nyamenk said:
    Pllppppppllppplpplllplpppppplpppppplpplppppppppppppppppppllppppppppplppppppppppppppppplppppppppplppllppppplpppppplllpllpppplpplpplplppppp

real spam :D

• Sorry> @Ganonk said:

@nyamenk said:
    Pllppppppllppplpplllplpppppplpppppplpplppppppppppppppppppllppppppppplppppppppppppppppplppppppppplppllppppplpppppplllpllpppplpplpplplppppp

real spam :D

Sorry, I fell asleep :#

Thanked by 1Shot2
  • @letlover said: Which one is the best for VPS?

For self-made VPS? KVM of course.
    because of qemu, many people does not even know how crazy this shit are and how many problems it can solve if used correctly (and pretty easy tbh)

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@desperand said:

because of qemu, many people does not even know how crazy this shit are and how many problems it can solve if used correctly (and pretty easy tbh)

I picked LXC on my in-house server.
    Each container can scale to the full CPU and RAM and disk available on the host machine, without dividing resource a priori.

I have KVM on the same server, but only if I need to test with a different kernel or non-Linux system.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • ErisaErisa Member

@yoursunny said:

@desperand said:

I picked LXC on my in-house server.
    Each container can scale to the full CPU and RAM and disk available on the host machine, without dividing resource a priori.

I have KVM on the same server, but only if I need to test with a different kernel or non-Linux system.

Same here. LXC works great if you have a personal machine you wish to split into multiple systems. Since its personal you dont need to worry about the possibility of every container using all its allocated hardware since you can just not do that. If you need to limit the resources (For example if giving a friend access to a container or you expect a containers usage to spike unexpectedly and dont want the rest of the server to suffer) then you can do so easily and without a restart.

You can even use LXC without virtualisation present, so you can split a VPS into multiple containers that can be used as if they were separate OSes.

KVM has its place, but I only use it when necessary rather than as the default.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • Alex_LeoAlex_Leo Member
    edited June 2022

On personal server I use XCP-NG, xenserver derivative.
    I prefer it for better hardware emulation, isolation and relatively easy PCIe Passthroughs.