Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Has my account been hacked?] Absurdly high cost at OCI
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Has my account been hacked?] Absurdly high cost at OCI

brejskibrejski Member
edited June 2022 in Help

Hi guys,
Today I received an alert that my OCI account has exceeded my budget (5$) and it reached 2000$...
I am using only "Always Free" resources and have only VM.Standard.A1.Flex with 1OCPU and 2GB RAM. Bandwidth usage is... less than 50GB...

When I took a look at costs I found that there was a large usage for about 2000$ (9000PLN), described as no value / SKU B92181
I took a look at this SKU and I found that this is an Oracle Autonomous Transaction Processing - dedicated. I have never used something like that and didn't know that something like this exists.

Also, I am a bit surprised by the alert origin - I am using Frankfurt, but the alert came from us-ashburn

I checked the history, and it's clean, but I found recommendations for these solutions and I am a bit surprised - so many things are unclear there... I contacted Oracle Cloud support and waiting.

Did anyone have such an issue with Oracle Cloud?
Does anyone know if I can perform an audit on the compartment in OCI? I really need to check what the heck happened before I will need to pay (this is almost a double of my monthly earnings)

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

This is what you get for running malicious OCI scripts trying to create 4C24G.

• @yoursunny said:
    This is what you get for running malicious OCI scripts trying to create 4C24G.

nope. I have never done such thing

• @brejski said: Does anyone know if I can perform an audit on the compartment in OCI? I really need to check what the heck happened before I will need to pay (this is almost a double of my monthly earnings)

https://docs.oracle.com/en-us/iaas/Content/Audit/Concepts/auditoverview.htm

Thanked by 1brejski
  • @stevewatson301 said:

@brejski said: Does anyone know if I can perform an audit on the compartment in OCI? I really need to check what the heck happened before I will need to pay (this is almost a double of my monthly earnings)

https://docs.oracle.com/en-us/iaas/Content/Audit/Concepts/auditoverview.htm

Just found it. I did not find anything about Oracle Autonomous Transaction Processing in this audit.

• Update for this topic:
    I received a cost report... Product is not listed on the report - I mean, there is no resourceId, no compartmentId, no compartmentName, no availability domain, no description, no billing units, no sku description, no oracle tags... and this thing happen in the night when I was sleeping. Sounds like an error

• Contact the Internet Police

• @HalfEatenPie said:
    Contact the Internet Police

Sure! LET support will triple my costs.

• That's why I didn't update my account to paid account :D

• brejskibrejski Member
    edited June 2022

@hzhoanglee said:
    That's why I didn't update my account to paid account :D

Man, I had to do it, because their network is amazing. I have a very short route to their FRA location and these VMs are perfect for a split-tuneled vpn. I very quickly got "addicted" , because i loved whole performance of always free resources.

Fun fact - their billing support said everything is on 0 and they cannot explain why there's 2000$ of costs 🤣
    It starts to look like a terrible error in billing system

• @brejski said:

@hzhoanglee said:

Man, I had to do it, because their network is amazing. I have a very short route to their FRA location and these VMs are perfect for a split-tuneled vpn. I very quickly got "addicted" , because i loved whole performance of always free resources.

Fun fact - their billing support said everything is on 0 and they cannot explain why there's 2000$ of costs 🤣

Same to me. But why did you need paid account? You can use Always free resources without upgrade to paid account.

• @brejski said:

@hzhoanglee said:

In my experience with AWS they've always been willing to waive unexpected bills, so maybe ask Oracle support to do the same?

• I once had a hosting provider bill me for "bandwidth overages". My monitoring showed otherwise.

We ended up finding out that it was a misconfiguration on the bandwidth monitoring service on their end. That was quite the unexpected bill haha.

• @stevewatson301 said:

@brejski said:

@hzhoanglee said:

In my experience with AWS they've always been willing to waive unexpected bills, so maybe ask Oracle support to do the same?

That's what I'm going to do.

• AnayxAnayx Member
    edited June 2022

@brejski said:
    Update for this topic:
    I received a cost report... Product is not listed on the report - I mean, there is no resourceId, no compartmentId, no compartmentName, no availability domain, no description, no billing units, no sku description, no oracle tags... and this thing happen in the night when I was sleeping. Sounds like an error

I thought there would be great revelation, nothing ..
    So now you know, it has been a hell of mental trauma for you.. therefore..

https://i.imgur.com/VdD5LUP.jpg

• @Anayx said:

@brejski said:
    Update for this topic:

I thought there would be great revelation, nothing ..
    So now you know, it has been a hell of mental trauma for you.. therefore..

https://i.imgur.com/VdD5LUP.jpg

I am not this kind of a guy that wants to sue. I prefer to make situation clear by discussing as much as possible. But once this will get clear, I will leave OCI

• @brejski said:

Fun fact - if you see Oracle in your billing system, you've made a terrible error.

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

I have a specific card for these freetrial/alwaysfree/verification stuff in which once I verify i turn off online transactions, hey atleast it doesn't charge my card.

Worst case scenario will be when you cant open tickets with a free account if you get any billing bugs like this.

• AlicAlic Member
    edited June 2022

Not complaining cos free is good, hee hee, but oci just did a weird on me. I terminated an ampere instance and recreated another. Created a few containers on it, the usual stuff. This was yesterday and today morning when I ssh'd in, free -m shows 966mb available RAM. Checked my account and my ampere instance had been magically converted into an always free AMD micro one. My containers are fine but this is mind boggling. Further attempts to create a new ampere instance shows out of capacity.

• @Alic said:
    Not complaining cos free is good, her hee, but oct just did a weird on me. I terminated an ampere instance and recreated another. Created a few containers on it, the usual stuff. This was yesterday and today morning when I ssh'd in, free -m shows 966mb available RAM. Checked my account and my ampere instance had been magically converted into an always free AMD micro one. My containers are fine but this is mind boggling. Further attempts to create a new ampere instance shows out of capacity.

maybe your zone is full and cannot accept more instances right now

• AXYZEAXYZE Member

@Alic said:
    Not complaining cos free is good, hee hee, but oci just did a weird on me. I terminated an ampere instance and recreated another. Created a few containers on it, the usual stuff. This was yesterday and today morning when I ssh'd in, free -m shows 966mb available RAM. Checked my account and my ampere instance had been magically converted into an always free AMD micro one. My containers are fine but this is mind boggling. Further attempts to create a new ampere instance shows out of capacity.

Sometimes instance shape changes when you switch Linux distro to another. Or even when you choose SSH key. You are sure that it was ARM fron beginning?
    Even packages are different, it cant just convert...

• AnayxAnayx Member

@brejski said:

I am not this kind of a guy that wants to sue. I prefer to make situation clear by discussing as much as possible. But once this will get clear, I will leave OCI

I was kidding, was trying to do as most of the LET people do. I think I did it bad. :neutral:

• AlicAlic Member
    edited June 2022

@AXYZE said:
    Sometimes instance shape changes when you switch Linux distro to another. Or even when you choose SSH key. You are sure that it was ARM fron beginning?
    Even packages are different, it cant just convert...

I swear I had an ampere instance lol. Anyways, will try to recreate ampere after some time. Those specs are addictive.

• Seems like the issue is solved. Cost analysis is back on zero, budget is back on zero, too. Now I am 100% sure this was an error :/ Not sure if I will stay with OCI after this fuckup

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@brejski said: Not sure if I will stay with OCI after this fuckup

Well they did fix it in the end, so all is good. Fuckups happen.

• @Arkas said:

@brejski said: Not sure if I will stay with OCI after this fuckup

Well they did fix it in the end, so all is good. Fuckups happen.

You're right. They fixed, issue disappeared...I'll give them another chance.

Thanked by 3Arkas Erisa FatGrizzly
  • ErisaErisa Member
    edited June 2022

Yeah, shit happens. If they fixed it before any lasting damage is done then there's no point leaving. My trust in a provider only drops either when they poorly handle an incident or when there are multiple incidents within a short time, to the point where its obvious its a consistent issue.