Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Linux operating system would best suit an entry level VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What Linux operating system would best suit an entry level VPS

paul92paul92 Member

Hi all

Looking for the best operating system that would suit a 512mb VPS. Not happy with the overall performance of Ubuntu 20.04. Running a basic IPTV PVR, which is simply transcoding to another better VPS. Things don't work properly, FFMPeg crashes, TVHeadend doesn't even load the playlist, and these things don't happen on other VPS machines.

Having issues that never I never had before, even on a VPS of similar specs with another, the only issue I had with the provider was the low data cap, so want to exhaust all my avenues before I consider jumping to another provider.

The performance may not be the greatest, but it's one of the few VPS providers that offer unlimited data for an extremely affordable price, and it's an area where VPS hosting isn't usually offered with other providers, (New Zealand) and is more expensive than the rest of the world so it's worth trying to sort this out.

My last resort is to set the VPS up as a Wireguard VPN server, and tunnel the traffic to another VPS in Sydney and then connect to that, but struggling with routing, and high latency between the two locations even though they are only just over 2000km away with a direct link between Aus & NZ.

Any advice will be great.

Thanks

Comments

• eriseris Member

FFMPEG and 512MB consider updating f

• TekoTeko Member

Your VPS is working hard for you.

For me, Debian 11 :).

Thanked by 2equalz ariq01
  • Tony40Tony40 Member
    edited June 2022

FFMPeg crashes

512mb is nothing, for FFMPeg you need more RAM!

• sotssots Member

You need LFS pr Alpine Linux for such a tiny vps!

• Need more ram and $$$$

• Debian?

• emgemg Veteran

@niranjan said:
    Debian?

Ubuntu is based on Debian. A release of Ubuntu starts with the current Debian. It is not obvious to me that switching to Debian would help performance if the underlying operating system processing is the same or similar for what @paul92 wants to run.

Anything that reduces RAM use would help, so from that standpoint, anything you can do to make your server as "lean" as possible would help.

The best solution is more RAM, but you didn't need any of us to tell you that.

• Alex_LeoAlex_Leo Member
    edited June 2022

I find CentOS/RedHat/RockyLinux easier on resources, that is if you're doing it headless, command line only.
    Make sure you're not wasting resources on a GUI/Desktop

• Clear linux.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

EasyOS

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

Add more swap?

Switching the distro is unlikely to help here. Consider getting more resources.

The latency between Sydney <-> NZ is usually less than 40ms so that shouldn't be a big issue for IPTV.

• szarkaszarka Member

At the end of the day, after you uninstall everything you don't need, you're going to be limited by the size of the kernel. Back in Ye Old Linux Times, the first thing we'd do when installing on a new host was to compile a kernel with just the stuff we needed, not all those extra drivers and stuff that the distros throw in there so things will work out of the box on a wide variety of hardware. With loadable kernel modules these days, you might not even have to go that far: just check to see if any modules are being loaded that you don't need, and unload them.

I've gotten lazy in my old age and don't compile my own kernels any more, but if I were seriously trying to get good performance on a tiny server like this, that's the first thing I'd try. After all, 512 MB is 512 times the amount of RAM I had on my first Linux system. Seems like it ought to be enough.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • I vote Debian11

• AXYZEAXYZE Member

512MB is not enough for such tasks.
    Save yourself time, do something productive instead and upgrade VPS to at least 1G of ram.

But if you need answer... Clear Linux has the best optimisation out of all distros. But it will still crash/swap heavily.

• @exception0x876 said:
    Add more swap?

Boom:

• bshbsh Member

@paul92 said:
    Looking for the best operating system that would suit a 512mb VPS

Alpine Linux, definitely