Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does the current mod team have their panties in a bunch? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Does the current mod team have their panties in a bunch?

2»

Comments

• ArkasArkas Moderator
    edited June 2022

Why assume and Judge? :wink:

Thanked by 1jsg
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Thanks to everyone who shared their thoughts in this thread. It's helpful and I appreciate reading them - I take the suggestions seriously.

Moderating a forum like LowEndTalk takes finesse and a best effort. Please give our mod team a little space and thanks for their contributions. We are all humans after all!

Sometimes we might not always get it right but it's not for a lack of trying or for a lack of caring.

We, as a team of admins/moderators, are not afraid to make a correction when we believe it's appropriate. Corrections have been made in the past and will continue to be made in the future.

• zedzed Member

if the changes don't suit you, you're probably no longer the target audience.

tbh the overall activity doesn't seem to have changed much though, granted i mostly browse /offers so i could be wrong.

freeNekki #freeLEA

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2022

I admit i had my panties in a wad the other day! It not a good feeling kinda had some bad chafing going on. Really the new mods bring new things to the table good and bad! Personally my time here was fun but I needed to take a break. I actually learned a lot from others feedback. Yes I’m a old man and pretty set in my ways. But I always listened even though it was hard to swallow when you failed at being open minded. Yes the last thread I participated in was a train wreck and I went overboard in my wording to fellow members of this community. I realized I needed to take a break. Sometimes bans are justifiable and don’t need to be explained but I also try to state the reason I banned someone. Just to be Open. The new mods will find their happy medium of balance. I won’t get into the nekki saga. I tend to ignore his banter because of him being who he is. It is mostly tolerable to a point. Idk have a great day!

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

@PieHasBeenEaten how old are you 'old man'?

• It seems like this has already gone through the wringer, but I'll add my perspective and takes.

From the outside, people treat moderating on LET as if it makes you royalty with a position of power (with the added "glamor" or "respect" originally expected). Realistically, most of the time it's janitorial work that, when done right will seem like you're not doing anything and when done wrong (or some shit happens), your PM gets filled with bitching and complaining.

However, the new additions to the moderating team seems to be very varied in their moderation approach. Some implement quick-responses and bans with little to no warning. Others just refuse to take action until it's literally in their face. Not criticizing an individual person but rather what needs to be done is show a unified front, where there's proper criteria and guidance on moderator actions. The variability in the moderating action has been a big point of criticism that has many people walking on eggshells because of the new bloods in the mod team. Get your message straight, get your target straight. Be the moodiest 16 year old if you wish and ban anyone who criticizes the mod team even a single time or let it slide until the "drama has died down". Just be consistent or else the new mod team may change the forums for the worst. Remember, your mod team is usually the first point of contact to what the forum is about. Be consistent, be uniformed, and don't unban someone that was banned by someone else (or at least be intentional in your methodologies).

That's my only real point of criticism.

@risharde said:
    @PieHasBeenEaten how old are you 'old man'?

Probably around my age. Meaning younger than some of the older members and older than many of the new members. Probably have enough tenure around here that they don't use LET as a place to find new hosts either, basically the entire point of this place.

I don't even know why I'm here. Most of the time it's just to shoot the shit with some old folks I used to interact with regularly.

• @PieHasBeenEaten said: I admit i had my panties in a wad the other day! It not a good feeling kinda had some bad chafing going on.

I don't consider voicing a different opinion (namely seriesn should be able to have a personal life and post photos) as getting your "panties in a bunch." People should be able to always disagree with the opinion of the majority.

Thank you for your comment. Some guidelines and/or a process around when and why a user should be banned would be nice, as I understand that this is what most folks want.

Further, assuming you still want to have an environment where disagreements are allowed, I believe you should look at implementing some of my proposals. Unbanning Andrews might also be a good step if this is the chosen direction.

Thanked by 1BlaZe
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@stevewatson301 said: Unbanning Andrews might also be a good step

Again, the ban is temporary, he will be unbanned soon. I've said it many times, yet you seem to ignore it.

• @Arkas said:

@stevewatson301 said: Unbanning Andrews might also be a good step

Again, the ban is temporary, he will be unbanned soon. I've said it many times, yet you seem to ignore it.

Thanks, I did somehow seem to miss it though, though I should say I don't agree with the ban in the first place. The "one temporary, one permanent" comment on the other thread seemed to give me an incorrect impression.

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@stevewatson301 said: The "one temporary, one permanent" comment on the other thread seemed to give me an incorrect impression.

Thanks for your understanding. We usually give permanent bans to spammers and people that just register with new accounts and troll people and also have links to their sites to get some seo. My point was that so far I have banned one account that was a troll alt account (IP showing at least 2 accounts) and @Andrews a temp ban after 2 warnings just to give a cool off period. Believe me being a mod does not give you a power trip, it makes you feel like a janitor that many don't like, it's a thankless job.

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

@jsg said:
    On many if not most platforms one gets banned/shadow-banned/kicked out for much less.

Also: LET isn't a publicly owned service, so it's up to the owner to make the rules, incl. whether mod decisions are published or kept confidential. I myself would prefer some more transparency (like a sentence or two about why someone got banned) too but unlike OP I do not feel entitled to de facto demand anything from @jbiloh.

Also let's not forget that jbiloh basically saved LET, and for that I am grateful.

AFAIC the mods should go even harder on users who mock, belittle, or outright attack other users, smash threads, and contribute rather little beyond basically meaningless banter, but I don't hold my breath ...

Congratulations, you are promoted to a super-duper exclusive moderator.

Also, your brandwidt is dobaled

/jk :p

Love your long essay posts though. Promise me you'll never leave us like how @Nekki abandoned us...

@risharde I’m 43 but look 50 with all the grey!

Thanked by 1risharde
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@PieHasBeenEaten said:
    @risharde I’m 43 but look 50 with all the grey!

Damn we’re quite close.

Having all the grey isn’t too bad, though I don’t have that many just yet, but I don’t mind being all Richard Gere :smiley:

@dp Richard Gere that is the way to put in a good prospective! All I need to finish growing my mullet! Heck yeah the business and party haircut!

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@PieHasBeenEaten said: Richard Gere that is the way to put in a good prospective!

There was this rumor going about for quite a while that he used to put live animals, gerbils to be exact up his..... and had to go to the hospital to remove one that gut stuck. It was so shocking hearing it at the time that I can't forget that story. It ended up being a BS story.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/richard-gere-gerbil/

• At this point I consider that the message regarding enforcement of rules went across to the LET mods/admins, and with the concerned members unbanned, there's not much point to keeping this thread open.

@Arkas you may choose to close this thread.

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • ArkasArkas Moderator
    edited June 2022

Thanks, I will now close it.
    I'd just like to thank all those that gave us feedback, we appreciated it.

This discussion has been closed.