Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best affordable VDS providers: Hetnzer vs Netcup vs PHP Friends/Data Forest vs BMDS - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best affordable VDS providers: Hetnzer vs Netcup vs PHP Friends/Data Forest vs BMDS

2»

Comments

• @NoComment said:

@letlover said: The ping is about 260-290, the variance is 20%, the same as KS1 and OP $7 bmds, much better than the Lightsail and Hetzner VPS with a variance of 100%.

Where are you from? What is your ping to the respective servers? There's a good chance the variance is your route to the servers and not their route to the game servers.

@letlover said: I think that php friends may need to have the snapshot function and to add or change ip function for its vds, so that upgrading and flexibility and usability convenience will be much better.

Probably not happening just because they use solusvm and that probably means they don't want to spend time developing anything. The other providers you mentioned like hetzner, netcup and lightsail made their own inhouse panels which is why they have snapshots.

US, Using North American game server
    Without snapshot it is difficult to upgrade in the future.

• @AXYZE said:

@letlover said:
    Just did some standard bench test on a S VDL of php friends.
    The OS is Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.
    I tried several times the bench test command. Only one test was complete and the results were shown above. All are good except the ipv4 receiving speed.
    I don't know why the bench test does not go through everytime.

Its because DDoS mitigation kicked in. That's why you see reduced download speed (they inspect packets) and connetion drop. They have it configured to fit 99% of customers.

You can message them to tweak protection if this affects your real life performance. :)

PHP-Friends instances and networking are very hardened, they don't leave it "as-is". Like I said they have 10+ year experience in this stuff and tried to make most stable & reliable platform.

Surprising that they are doing 10Gbps on their 1Gbps offer! It wasn't the case before.
    So right now its 1Gbps dedicated, 10Gbps burst, dedicated threads. For just 7.99euro/mo? Crazy deal if youre okay with 10/20/40TB traffic limit.

You can see their traffic limit for every offer here https://php-friends.de/vserver-ssd/traffic

Very nice. I like more security. I was surprised at the 10 gbps speed. At first I thought it was shared port. But my test using online gaming showing it is dedicated.

• @NoComment said:

@letlover said: The ping is about 260-290, the variance is 20%, the same as KS1 and OP $7 bmds, much better than the Lightsail and Hetzner VPS with a variance of 100%.

Where are you from? What is your ping to the respective servers? There's a good chance the variance is your route to the servers and not their route to the game servers.

@letlover said: I think that php friends may need to have the snapshot function and to add or change ip function for its vds, so that upgrading and flexibility and usability convenience will be much better.

Probably not happening just because they use solusvm and that probably means they don't want to spend time developing anything. The other providers you mentioned like hetzner, netcup and lightsail made their own inhouse panels which is why they have snapshots.

My ping without vpn to the NA game server is about 25-50.

• Netcup is the best! Except for their contract system and the tax for non-EU residents

Thanked by 1letlover
  • twaintwain Member

Re: php friends - Do they have their best deals on their vanilla website, or do I need a deal/promo/offer link? If so can anyone provide their latest/best offer link?

Thanks!!

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@twain said:
    Re: php friends - Do they have their best deals on their vanilla website, or do I need a deal/promo/offer link? If so can anyone provide their latest/best offer link?

If PHP-Friends have a promotion, it's advertised on their site -- there are no secret links

This said, they don't have promotions very often, and when they do, they're on previous-generation hardware. (Which is perfectly fine and suitable for many purposes)

Thanked by 2twain ralf