Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HAZI.ro | Dedicated vCPUs | Up to 16 addon IPs | No SMTP | 40% OFF Recurring
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HAZI.ro | Dedicated vCPUs | Up to 16 addon IPs | No SMTP | 40% OFF Recurring

FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep

Hello, dear community!

Since last time the sales went very well, we renewed this offer in order to reach, we hope to completely exhaust this server this month as well, and we will buy a new one.

We offer a 40% recurring discount for all virtual dedicated servers if you use the discount code JUNE-DEAL

VDS - 2vCPU - 4GB RAM - 120GB SSD Enterprise

• 2x Dedicated vCPUs 2.30GHz ↗ 3.60GHz
  • 4GB RAM DDR4 ECC 2133MHz
  • 120GB SSD Enterprise RAID10
  • 1Gbps Connection (Shared)
  • Unlimited Monthly Traffic (10TB @1Gbps then Unlimited @100MBps)
  • Voxility 1Tbps AntiDDoS Protection
  • Price: 4.20 EUR/mo
  • Purchase it here

VDS - 4vCPU - 8GB RAM - 240GB SSD Enterprise

• 4x Dedicated vCPUs 2.30GHz ↗ 3.60GHz
  • 8GB RAM DDR4 ECC 2133MHz
  • 240GB SSD Enterprise RAID10
  • 1Gbps Connection (Shared)
  • Unlimited Monthly Traffic (10TB @1Gbps then Unlimited @100MBps)
  • Voxility 1Tbps AntiDDoS Protection
  • Price: 9.00 EUR/mo
  • Purchase it here

Physical server:

• CPU: 2x E5-2699 V3 36 Cores / 72 Threads (2.30GHz ↗ 3.60GHz)
  • Memory: 12x 16GB RAM DDR4 ECC 2133MHz
  • Storage SSD: 6x Samsung PM893 Enterprise 1.92TB
  • Network: 4x 1Gbps
  • Protection: Voxility 1Tbps AntiDDoS

Service features:

• Dedicated Physical Thread per vCPU
  • KVM Virtualization
  • NoVNC Console Access
  • Integrated Control Panel
  • 1-click Operating System Installation
  • Intrusion Prevention System
  • Intrusion Detection System

Operating Systems:

• CentOS 7 64bits
  • CentOS 8 64bits
  • CentOS 9 64bits
  • Debian 9 64bits
  • Debian 10 64bits
  • Debian 11 64bits
  • Ubuntu 18.04 64bits
  • Ubuntu 20.04 64bits
  • Ubuntu 22.04 64bits
  • FreeBSD 12.x 32bits
  • FreeBSD 12.x 64bits
  • FreeBSD 13.x 32bits
  • FreeBSD 13.x 64bits

Useful information:

Looking Glass: Click here
Terms & Conditions: Click here
Accetable Usage Policy: Click here
Privacy Policy: Click here

Accepted payment methods:

• MobilPay (Visa / Maestro / Mastercard)
  • Paysafecard
  • Bitcoin
  • Ethereum
  • USD Coin
  • Dogecoin
  • Litecoin
  • Dai
  • Bitcoin Cash
  • Bank Transfer

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

A single YABS triggers "permanent mitigation" that your network speed would decrease to less than 20 Mbps.
    A single "abuse", including zero day attack that is not your fault, causes service deletion with 30-minute notice and no second chances.

• @yoursunny said:
    A single YABS triggers "permanent mitigation" that your network speed would decrease to less than 20 Mbps.
    A single "abuse", including zero day attack that is not your fault, causes service deletion with 30-minute notice and no second chances.

You're fully right. My server was canceled without previous warnings or any without any contact attempts

• FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep

@yoursunny said:

True Story. However, I would like to know how you know when the client is being abused or the server has been compromised as long as you DO NOT HAVE ACCESS TO ITS VM.

@lala_th said:

@yoursunny said:

You're fully right. My server was canceled without previous warnings or any without any contact attempts

I'm sure you also received a record of what happened to your deleted VM. If it's your fault, take it, if not, secure your VM next time.

@FlorinMarian said:

@lala_th said:

@yoursunny said:

I'm sure you also received a record of what happened to your deleted VM. If it's your fault, take it, if not, secure your VM next time.

So what's in the record?
    Is there a forensic image of the disk and a capture of the network traffic?

If it's just a report or complaint letter, it's insufficient for the customer to reproduce the problem, and it's insufficient to prove that the "abuse" is an intentional act of the customer.

Thanked by 2adly Xrmaddness
    edited June 2022

@yoursunny said:

@FlorinMarian said:

@lala_th said:

@yoursunny said:

So what's in the record?
    Is there a forensic image of the disk and a capture of the network traffic?

If it's just a report or complaint letter, it's insufficient for the customer to reproduce the problem, and it's insufficient to prove that the "abuse" is an intentional act of the customer.

However, I would like you to answer my question. How do you if the client abused or his VM was compromised when your client came to you a few days ago, he has false identification data and obviously you do not have access to his KVM.

• sounds like its guilty until-

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

Hi @FlorinMarian!

Hope your sales are going great!

If a customer signs up with fully satisfactory identification, would that change your mitigation procedures?

@FlorinMarian said: we hope to completely exhaust this server this month

May I please ask what is a "vcpu" for you and how you determine when the server capacity is "exhausted?"

Thanks!

Friendly greetings from Mexico!

Tom

Thanked by 1FlorinMarian

@Not_Oles said:
    Hi @FlorinMarian!

Hope your sales are going great!

If a customer signs up with fully satisfactory identification, would that change your mitigation procedures?

If the abuse does not occur immediately after purchasing the service and the service is prepaid for a longer period, certainly.

@FlorinMarian said: we hope to completely exhaust this server this month

May I please ask what is a "vcpu" for you and how you determine when the server capacity is "exhausted?"

Thanks!

Friendly greetings from Mexico!

Tom

I was referring to the assignment of all 72 physical threads of the server.
    As for RAM / Storage, we still have free slots for doubling the RAM memory (without replacing some DIMMs with others of higher capacity) and we also have empty caddies for 2 SSDs.

Best regards, Florin.

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

@FlorinMarian said: I was referring to the assignment of all 72 physical threads of the server.

I guess you mean that when 72 vcores are assigned to VMs, then the server is exhausted? So, if only plans with 2 vcpus per plan were sold, the server would be exhausted when 36 plans were sold?

Thanks! :)

@Not_Oles said:

@FlorinMarian said: I was referring to the assignment of all 72 physical threads of the server.

I guess you mean that when 72 vcores are assigned to VMs, then the server is exhausted? So, if only plans with 2 vcpus per plan were sold, the server would be exhausted when 36 plans were sold?

Thanks! :)

In the case of dedicated virtual servers, yes.
    Instead, in the case of KVM Romania servers that have the same processor but with a slightly smaller number of threads, we offer only 50% dedicated CPU, so 128 packages can be sold there.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • LeviLevi Member

@yoursunny said:

Plain and simple scam. Such "provider" should be banned and go to hostloc for the clients. A true shame. I run YABS on cron 24/7 and if any provider "ban" me for such actions I would simply sue him. Disgusting.

Thanked by 3Andrews adly Carlin0

@LTniger said:

@yoursunny said:

Plain and simple scam. Such "provider" should be banned and go to hostloc for the clients. A true shame. I run YABS on cron 24/7 and if any provider "ban" me for such actions I would simply sue him. Disgusting.

You won't get banned by running YABS.
    The IP address is throttled by "mitigation" until you open ticket and promise not to YABS again.

Thanked by 1adly

@yoursunny said:

@LTniger said:

@yoursunny said:

You won't get banned by running YABS.
    The IP address is throttled by "mitigation" until you open ticket and promise not to YABS again.

You avoid the real question and become just one of the crowd, it's a shame for you.
    Regarding YABS, I received that answer from Datacenter, I pass that on, there is nothing to discuss on this side.

You know the story of UDP + permanent mitigation since you were my client, now that the ping and UDP don't fall into permanent mitigation, you are exaggerating the remaining issue.

• @FlorinMarian said:

@yoursunny said:

True Story. However, I would like to know how you know when the client is being abused or the server has been compromised as long as you DO NOT HAVE ACCESS TO ITS VM.

This is not what's important here. From what I understand, there's two types of people here.

1. People unhappy about service termination with no second chances, and no refunds (eg. @yoursunny)
    2. People unhappy about instant service termination with no warning and no way of retrieving data

For the first group of people, it's really up to you as a business owner how you want to handle abuse reports. While I don't need romanian servers, I belong to the second group and think it's ridiculous how you provided a 30 min notice for the one person who you believed got compromised.

At the very least, provide access to files because you know as well as I do that not everyone does backups. It poses zero risk for you to provide nothing but access to your clients' files.

Thanked by 2adly bruh21
  • @FlorinMarian said:
    was referring to the assignment of all 72 physical threads of the server.

I don't want to be mean but I don't think you did your math on this server.

If 36 vps means full server @ 4.2 euro/month you make 150 euro/m. If we subtract the colocation fee (~70 euro/m) and the IPs at 0.5 euro (18 euro) you remain with 62 euro. Your samsung Hard-disks cost was 2400euro.

At this calculation with 62euro/m revenue per server you need 3 years just to get your Hard-disk money back. I did not included you salary for the support, the rest of the server, taxes, fees and maybe licenses.

In his situation you need to oversell hard the cpus to make a profit.

Wish you best luck with this endeavor.

• NoCommentNoComment Member
    edited June 2022

@AndreiGhesi said: I don't want to be mean but I don't think you did your math on this server.

I believe they did their math and there are some things about the hosting market on LET that should be left unsaid. Your calculations are off and not the right way to calculate these things because not only did they sell some of these plans for 3.50, they also have to pay payment processing fees. Also, consider that maybe some of their customers are paying normal price (or way above normal price for b2b customers)

Assuming they don't thin provision disks, you get a different picture if you work out the math. If they do thin provision disks... I'm not saying they do this or that but let's not bash their sales thread and assume similar things happen for most providers. That's the way the math checks out on LET especially for the "cheap" deals.

edited June 2022

@NoComment said:

@FlorinMarian said:

@yoursunny said:

This is not what's important here. From what I understand, there's two types of people here.

1. People unhappy about service termination with no second chances, and no refunds (eg. @yoursunny)
    2. People unhappy about instant service termination with no warning and no way of retrieving data

For the first group of people, it's really up to you as a business owner how you want to handle abuse reports. While I don't need romanian servers, I belong to the second group and think it's ridiculous how you provided a 30 min notice for the one person who you believed got compromised.

At the very least, provide access to files because you know as well as I do that not everyone does backups. It poses zero risk for you to provide nothing but access to your clients' files.

Thanks for the tips!
    Yes, I said and I repeat, it was not an inspired decision.
    In the future, when there are more such cases, I will use a method that I thought of now, namely to block any Outbound access from the Firewall except SFTP but this only in the case of customers I trust (old customers, real identification data, more services purchased and so on)> @AndreiGhesi said:

@FlorinMarian said:
    was referring to the assignment of all 72 physical threads of the server.

I don't want to be mean but I don't think you did your math on this server.

If 36 vps means full server @ 4.2 euro/month you make 150 euro/m. If we subtract the colocation fee (~70 euro/m) and the IPs at 0.5 euro (18 euro) you remain with 62 euro. Your samsung Hard-disks cost was 2400euro.

At this calculation with 62euro/m revenue per server you need 3 years just to get your Hard-disk money back. I did not included you salary for the support, the rest of the server, taxes, fees and maybe licenses.

In his situation you need to oversell hard the cpus to make a profit.

Wish you best luck with this endeavor.

Thanks for the calculations but omit a few things:
    1. IP addresses cost 1200 euros the first year then 480 euros for each subnet /24 anually
    2. The SSDs from Samsung were sold for only 850 RON each, but being part of a Bulk, they have only a 6-month warranty (purchase made from the company whose object of activity is to repair laptops, not OLX or another person unauthorized and unfortunately they didn't have 10 pieces as much as I would have liked to buy, somehow the 6 pieces in their stock got lost)

Website down due of botnet attack layer7.
    I'll take my lunch then I'll take care of it.
    Thanks to the person who did this, I really needed help in supporting my arguments that not everyone deserves to be treated as a victim, not as an aggressor.

Website UP & Running (even if attack is still active).

• ralfralf Member

Thanked by 1FlorinMarian

@FlorinMarian said:
    How do you if the client abused or his VM was compromised when your client came to you a few days ago, he has false identification data and obviously you do not have access to his KVM.

You shouldn't have delivered the service if the identification data is false.

• Name and ZIP code must match credit card billing information. PayPal can verify this automatically.
    • Confirm with text message, using a phone that is registered with the national ID. AliPay can verify this automatically.
    • Upload a photo of driver's license. You have to do this yourself, with necessary privacy policy in place.
    • Crypto currency disabled. Every time you pay with Bitcoin, a kid dies, because the electricity that could be used to purify drinking water is spent on confirming the transaction.
    • When in doubt, mail a PIN number to the customer's billing address, and ask them to enter a code in that letter. Venmo does this sometimes.
    Thanked by 1SinV

Someone has a strong toy that keeps our site down.
    We have blocked in the last 30 minutes no less than 3,667,878 IP addresses, a clear sign that ours is abusing a provider that does not have ip spoofing under control.

@FlorinMarian said:
    We have blocked in the last 30 minutes no less than 3,667,878 IP addresses, a clear sign that ours is abusing a provider that does not have ip spoofing under control.

Cloudflare Enterprise Plan blocks all strong toys.

• MumblyMumbly Member
    edited June 2022

Come on people... whoever is doing it, don't be an asshole.
    Feel free to criticize host if you feel that's justified. Damaged reputation is painful enough, just don't cause him additional damage with the ddos and crap. It's not like those small business sole proprietorships are rich or something. Don't mess with people's livelihood.

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

@yoursunny said:

@FlorinMarian said:

Cloudflare Enterprise Plan blocks all strong toys.

It’s all about config I think

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2022

would recommend giving Cloudflare a try. Sucuri WAF is another option starting at $10 but gives a lot of false positives in my experience

I know it can be stressful when your site is the victim of such an attack

It's been over 33 hours since our site was unavailable, dealing with a 24/7 attack.
    I tested:

• Voxility with Layer7 protection included (I also provided SSL keys to Voxility to activate this protection)
    • OVH Game 1Gbps (does not even lead to IP mitigation)
    • 10Gbps OVH (same as above)
      Unfortunately, of those tens of thousands of IP addresses that are part of the attack, some go beyond any possible filter.
      To understand how big the impact is, I have attached two screenshots from both the free and the purchased protection offered by CloudFlare. Both are junctions, our site being hit with 800-8000 simultaneous connections.

We will try again tonight to resolve the situation on our own and if we do not succeed, we will address the competent bodies that can investigate cybercrime.

• @FlorinMarian said: To understand how big the impact is, I have attached two screenshots from both the free and the purchased protection offered by CloudFlare. Both are junctions, our site being hit with 800-8000 simultaneous connections.

Cloudflare would help but it's probably much less effective when your origin IP is known to your attackers and no firewall on your http/https ports. Are they only attacking you through cloudflare?

@FlorinMarian said: We will try again tonight to resolve the situation on our own and if we do not succeed, we will address the competent bodies that can investigate cybercrime.

It would be nice if the authorities would catch the ddos kiddies for you but unfortunately I don't think that will happen. Previously, there were people attacking various LET hosts and demanding crypto ransoms and there's quite a lot of people around here who could probably help you out.

@NoComment said:

@FlorinMarian said: To understand how big the impact is, I have attached two screenshots from both the free and the purchased protection offered by CloudFlare. Both are junctions, our site being hit with 800-8000 simultaneous connections.

Cloudflare would help but it's probably much less effective when your origin IP is known to your attackers and no firewall on your http/https ports. Are they only attacking you through cloudflare?

@FlorinMarian said: We will try again tonight to resolve the situation on our own and if we do not succeed, we will address the competent bodies that can investigate cybercrime.

It would be nice if the authorities would catch the ddos kiddies for you but unfortunately I don't think that will happen. Previously, there were people attacking various LET hosts and demanding crypto ransoms and there's quite a lot of people around here who could probably help you out.

The data was collected in about 24 hours, the rest of the time I used only the protections offered by iptables / litespeed / recaptcha.

• ralfralf Member

@NoComment said:

Except... he does have a load of IPs because he sells VPSes. He could temporarily copy his website onto one of them and have cloudflare use that, or have a wireguard tunnel from a VPS to his original machine and close off the standard ports on that, or even just get another VPS from someone else and use that for now so he's got an IP in someone else's range.

Thanked by 1yoursunny