Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for PAYG or low-priced email sending service
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for PAYG or low-priced email sending service

bulbasaurbulbasaur Member
edited June 2022 in General

I'm looking for a provider with an email sending service for sending out transactional emails (login verification, password resets, payment reminders) with good deliverability and preferably something that allows me to pay based on usage or otherwise has a low monthly commit.

I'm aware of Postmark and its stellar deliverability, but having to pay $10/mo when I'd only send something like 3000 emails seems a bit pricey. Amazon SES seems to have a reputation for sending lots of spam and has deliverability issues.

Maybe folks around here have a better recommendation?

@jar while I know MXRoute doesn't specifically advertise your service for this use case, is it possible to get that limit of 300 emails/day removed to send such emails? I sometimes get a flurry of registrations (all legitimate) and it's just best to have some peace of mind.

Thanked by 1jar

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@stevewatson301 said:
    @jar while I know MXRoute doesn't specifically advertise your service for this use case, is it possible to get that limit of 300 emails/day removed to send such emails? I sometimes get a flurry of registrations (all legitimate) and it's just best to have some peace of mind.

Not usually, just because 48-50% go to Gmail, registration spam is at an all time high, and Gmail rate limiting is often per IP.

Thanked by 1bulbasaur
  • bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

mail.baby

Thanked by 1bulbasaur
  • @jar said:

@stevewatson301 said:

Not usually, just because 48-50% go to Gmail, registration spam is at an all time high, and Gmail rate limiting is often per IP.

I already have a plan with you, though it's idling for 2+ years. I hope to put it for the normal email use case as well "soon".

Do I understand correctly that the policy against raising the limits for this use case is primarily against illegitimate registrations? I do implement best practices like filtering disposable and invalid email addresses, and using captcha protected forms (to the point it throws out legitimate signups as well :lol: ). So if that's something you're concerned about, it mostly doesn't happen in my case.

@bruh21 said: mail.baby

The pricing and the availability of an API is perfect, but what about deliverability? @interservermike runs it IIRC?

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

@stevewatson301 said:

@jar said:

@stevewatson301 said:

I already have a plan with you, though it's idling for 2+ years. I hope to put it for the normal email use case as well "soon".

Do I understand correctly that the policy against raising the limits for this use case is primarily against illegitimate registrations? I do implement best practices like filtering disposable and invalid email addresses, and using captcha protected forms (to the point it throws out legitimate signups as well :lol: ). So if that's something you're concerned about, it mostly doesn't happen in my case.

@bruh21 said: mail.baby

The pricing and the availability of an API is perfect, but what about deliverability? @interservermike runs it IIRC?

i have experience with mailbaby and the deliverability is pretty good
    i use it as our outbound relay for our shared hosting

Thanked by 1bulbasaur
  • _cece_cece Member

+1 for mailbaby. But I also never expierienced issues with amazon ses. tried it already?

• bulbasaurbulbasaur Member
    edited June 2022

@_cece said:
    +1 for mailbaby. But I also never expierienced issues with amazon ses. tried it already?

I’m intimately familiar with it, and it has a spam problem which sadly affects transactional emails too.

Maybe @jar can tell us more about what kind of spam rates he sees these days from SES?

That's where it starts but it's also kind of a case by case thing. If it's truly exceeding 300 per hour that's a fair bit of overhead. Even with good traffic Google rate limits so I need to make sure that a collection of users whitelisted from the limits collectively cover the cost of scaling up to compensate.

Thanked by 1yoursunny

@stevewatson301 said:

@_cece said:

I’m intimately familiar with it, and it has a spam problem which sadly affects transactional emails too.

Maybe @jar can tell us more about what kind of spam rates he sees these days from SES?

SES spam is pretty bad. It's not sendgrid kinda bad, but as is common they don't give two shits about how their users obtain email addresses.

Thanked by 2bulbasaur _cece

@bruh21 said:
    mail.baby

This is what MXroute is using now as fallback. I don't really need a fallback but it helps in tickets when I have it so I can say "here's proof this has nothing to do with my reputation."

Thanked by 2bruh21 bulbasaur
  • Using smtp2go free for sending out non authenticated email for old RAID hardware and stuff up to 1000/mo. I might have seen a mention of possibly raising that through ticket, but not certain.

• kevindskevinds Member, LIR

3000 emails per day? Per month? Per hour?

• @kevinds said:

3000 emails per month.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 2022

Amazon SES is the best option and no issues with delivery issues.

• sanvitsanvit Member

Mail.baby is great, but you’ll have yo sign DKIM yourself (they don’t do it for you)

• Oracle Email Delivery: Free 100 emails sent per day

@stevewatson301 said:

@kevinds said:

3000 emails per month.

Just noticed you listed the MXroute limit as 300 per day. It's actually 7200 per day.

Thanked by 1bulbasaur
  • edited June 2022

I'd stick to Amazon SES. You can always shower them with money for a dedicated IP :-) But shared IP should be just fine for transactional emails, I've used them quite successfully.

• sanvitsanvit Member

@jar said:

@stevewatson301 said:

@kevinds said:

3000 emails per month.

Just noticed you listed the MXroute limit as 300 per day. It's actually 7200 per day.

And 300/hr/from address

Thanked by 1jar