Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which one of them to keep?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which one of them to keep?

I have the following servers/combo:

Intel D1541/4x4TB HDD/250Mbps UP/10Gbps DOWN + IPMI = 25EUR/month (lucky one).
+
2 Pulsedmedia Slots:
6TB HDD/1Gbps Up/1Gbps DOWN = 7EUR/month each one.

OR

Intel Xeon E3-1271V3/4x10TB HDD/1Gbps UP/1Gbps DOWN. 43EUR/month.

I intend to basically run a couple of VM besides torrenting and Plex.

Which of them should I keep?

Which of them should I keep?
  1. Which of them should I keep?17 votes
    1. Option #1
      76.47%
    2. Option #2
      23.53%

Comments

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Option 1 gives you more flexibility, so I’d go with that, unless it’s OVH.

Thanked by 2lala_th Arkas
  • @Nekki said:

Yeah, it's So you Start (OVH).

• afnafn Member
    edited June 2022

We really can't choose for you, But I will help you see how to think about it:

With option 1, you get much more network capacity.

Each of your PM boxes can reach 1 gbps (with some luck, since it's shared), and and your dedi has 250, so in theory, you can reach up to 2250 MBPS of upload capacity. In expectation, since PM is shared network, so maybe you can hope on average to get 1500MBPS, still better than 1gbps UP on 1 xeon. As for download, with that 10gbps down server, there is no need for me to compare it for you, right?

You get more CPU power, maybe if you need plex or sth? if you have something taking the CPU of that 16TB dedi, you can still use plex on a PM box.

You have isolation, 1 service lost (broken drives, DC burns)/hacked, others are still safe.

Downside, You have 3 invoices to pay, at 2 different locations, some hassle, more management overhead, also you get less storage capacity in total to save 4€ only

Also does location matter? Maybe you need that tolerance on PM boxes for god only knows what content you're downloading, and maybe that 1 E3 40TB dedi, is with some strict German provider that won't hesitate to terminate you.

It's obvious option 1 is SYS (a bit DMCA tolerant )+ PM (EXTREMELY tolerant), VS , but Idk what is the location for that 40TB server

Thanked by 1lala_th
  • @afn said:
    We really can't choose for you, But I will help you see how to think about it:

With option 1, you get much more network capacity.

Each of your PM boxes can reach 1 gbps (with some luck, since it's shared), and and your dedi has 250, so in theory, you can reach up to 2250 MBPS of upload capacity. In expectation, since PM is shared network, so maybe you can hope on average to get 1500MBPS, still better than 1gbps UP on 1 xeon. As for download, with that 10gbps down server, there is no need for me to compare it for you, right?

You get more CPU power, maybe if you need plex or sth? if you have something taking the CPU of that 16TB dedi, you can still use plex on a PM box.

You have isolation, 1 service lost (broken drives, DC burns)/hacked, others are still safe.

Downside, You have 3 invoices to pay, at 2 different locations, some hassle, more management overhead, also you get less storage capacity in total to save 4€ only

Also does location matter? Maybe you need that tolerance on PM boxes for god only knows what content you're downloading, and maybe that 1 E3 40TB dedi, is with some strict German provider that won't hesitate to terminate you.

It's obvious option 1 is SYS (a bit DMCA tolerant )+ PM (EXTREMELY tolerant), VS , but Idk what is the location for that 40TB server

The last one is hosted in Finland (Hetzner).

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@lala_th said:

@Nekki said:

Then option 2. Fuck OVH.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

RAM specs?

• @Arkas said:
    RAM specs?

32GB.

• @Nekki said:

@lala_th said:

@Nekki said:

Then option 2. Fuck OVH.

Why this special loving for OVH? lol

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited June 2022

@lala_th said:

@Nekki said:

@lala_th said:

@Nekki said:

Then option 2. Fuck OVH.

Why this special loving for OVH? lol

Appalling customer service. I’m giving my money to providers that a) know what they’re doing and b) won’t waste my time going forwards.

Also, 250Mb upload can suck balls at time.

Thanked by 1lala_th