Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Instagram now requires birthday
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Instagram now requires birthday

ArkasArkas Moderator
edited June 2022 in General

It's not optional but a requirement, even for sites for businesses and pets...
I only use Instagram for my businesses for SEO purposes and traffic generation and I don't want to share birthday info with them. Now obviously, I could just enter a random birthday, but I am willing to bet that in the future they will try to verify this information which If you can't prove you'll lose access to your account. Also, I have to keep track of what birthday I put where for which business... It's ridiculous how much information meta wants from you to sell to companies.
Ok, I'll stop my rant now :blush:

Comments

• @Arkas said: It's not optional but a requirement, even for sites for businesses and pets...

If you have a business or venture of some sort and are using Instagram solely for this purpose, just put in the date of incorporation. If this causes problems later, you always have a way out, although FB might not be amused at this explanation.

• ralfralf Member

@stevewatson301 said:
    If you have a business or venture of some sort and are using Instagram solely for this purpose, just put in the date of incorporation. If this causes problems later, you always have a way out, although FB might not be amused at this explanation.

I suspect that legally this is the best route, as a corporation is technically an "individual" in most countries.

However, you will still have to lie about the year of incorporation as I think you need to be over 13 to use FB.

Thanked by 2Arkas szymonp
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@stevewatson301 said: just put in the date of incorporation

What about If it's for a site or forum? Do I put the date the site was created, the date of the first post or entry, the date the domain was created? Do I put the like you said the date of incorporation of the business I use for my sites? It's so darn confusing! I put so much work on these instagram account to generate interest for my sites, and it works, but this is just crazy...

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@ralf said: as a corporation is technically an "individual"

It is, but what If I have an LLC?

• ChuckChuck Member

please unfriend me on FB if you use Instagram for business ;) .

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@Chuck said: please unfriend me on FB

I don't use FB, never have. :blush:

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2022

It has said on their when asking for a birthday. If a company just put your birthday.
    My guess is just wanting to make sure the actual person posting is of age.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

Are you sure the birthday requirement isn't for keeping kids away? I mean instagram has alot of adult related photos after all.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

It might be for now. But I know of many sites that started of like that, and then one day you forget the password, and boom, the birthday answer isn't good enough, they ask you for verification and proof of it.
    Want an example? ebay. I have been with them for over 20 years (I'm starting to show my age now :sweat_smile: ). I don't remember what I had put back then for my birthday, as I didn't take the question seriously and thought it's none of their business.
    Well, 20 years later and they have made changes including breaking from their reliance on paypal as their main money processing system. They asked for my ID for verification and I obliged. Well guess what? They made a huge deal about the birthday being different that I had to send them 2 extra documents to prove that I am me while in the mean time I was locked out of my account. Over 2 decades later and a 100% positive feedback throughout all those years...
    Who's to say Meta wont do the same?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

What date do you think Starbucks used? Or McDonald’s?

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited June 2022

Birthday is: 12/70/01

Easy to remember.

Address is "localhost"

• tjntjn Member

@Nekki said:
    What date do you think Starbucks used? Or McDonald’s?

January 1st, 1970

• ArthasArthas Member

Good decision... its ruining kids' life... Many hyenas are active on Instagram to trap minor girls...

• what if i refuse to be identified by my birthdate, like my gender?

• tjntjn Member

@cybertech said:
    what if i refuse to be identified by my birthdate, like my gender?

Don’t use Instagram?

• @Arthas said:
    Good decision... its ruining kids' life... Many hyenas are active on Instagram to trap minor girls...

If minor girls are getting trapped in Instagram, that's a parent fail.

• Have my form birthday: Jan 1, 1980.

Or use Feb 29 in a non Leap Year.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • ChuckChuck Member

I heard that Genderless is for baby of alien & human.
    People mistook it for LGBTQ+

• @Chuck said:

Lay off the crack pipe.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • @TimboJones said:

@Chuck said:

Lay off the crack pipe.

• kasodkkasodk Barred

Instagram has an age limit, and they are trying to make it a safer community for kids.

You can read about it here:
    https://about.instagram.com/blog/announcements/continuing-to-make-instagram-safer-for-the-youngest-members-of-our-community

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • emghemgh Member

@stevewatson301 said:

@Arkas said: It's not optional but a requirement, even for sites for businesses and pets...

Dosen’t work if the business isn’t very old.

• @NobodyInteresting said:

@TimboJones said:

@Chuck said:

Lay off the crack pipe.

Chappell really needs to spin that character off into his own movie series.

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • @TimboJones said:

@NobodyInteresting said:

@TimboJones said:

@Chuck said:

Lay off the crack pipe.

Chappell really needs to spin that character off into his own movie series.

That would be awesome, but I doubt he will.