Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the current go-to VPN solution?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's the current go-to VPN solution?

A long time ago Softether was the go-to for many people to setup a VPN server that supports many protocols. I notice that Softether isn't really in active development anymore.

So what's the current go-to VPN solution? I'm not talking about OpenVPN Server. I'm looking for an easier methodology to setup a VPN with support built-in for Windows and MacOS without needing to install a new client (again, looking at you OpenVPN). What's the go-to solution nowadays?

Comments

• For now I'm using wireguard. But that is not solution because client instsallation.
    So I'm looking for l2tp+ipsec oneclick-installer solution too.

• What's your use-case for a VPN?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@nanankcornering said:
    What's your use-case for a VPN?

That’s a very personal question.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited June 2022

@nanankcornering said:

People should not ask something like that. The point is VPN solution, and that's it.

On topic: I use the road-warrior script for Wireguard, from Nyr.

Even though it is not actually a VPN, sometimes I use Shadowsocks, because some VPS providers may have limitations in VPN install.

• @Nekki said: That’s a very personal question.

>

No.

The use case I'm talking about is whether will it be used for exit-connection/relay OR for accessing internal servers

If it's for exit-connection, then wireguard it is 🤷

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@nanankcornering said:

@Nekki said: That’s a very personal question.

>

No.

The use case I'm talking about is whether will it be used for exit-connection/relay OR for accessing internal servers

If it's for exit-connection, then wireguard it is 🤷

Please phrase your questions clearly in future.

• Feel OK to install extra software: wireguard for its performance and simplicity
    Don’t want to install anything: strongswan->ikev2, ipsec

• sotssots Member

I'm using v2ray now. Its routing function is powerful.

• @Kousaka said:
    Feel OK to install extra software: wireguard for its performance and simplicity

WireGuard was merged into the Linux 5.6 kernel. Users only need to install some user space software like wireguard-tools, which makes it not that different from strongSwan in terms of installation process.

• @__no_preserve_root said:

@Kousaka said:
    Feel OK to install extra software: wireguard for its performance and simplicity

WireGuard was merged into the Linux 5.6 kernel. Users only need to install some user space software like wireguard-tools, which makes it not that different from strongSwan in terms of installation process.

The mainline kernel module is for server-side mostly, you still have to install client software on your windows/macos desktop.

• cochoncochon Member

@nanankcornering said:
    ... whether will it be used for exit-connection/relay OR for accessing internal servers

If it's for exit-connection, then wireguard it is

Why not wireguard for internal servers too, the performance/CPU saving from being kernel based seems worth it if moving large volumes of data (e.g. backups), and I'm speaking as a one time advocate of tinc which still has its uses for configuration simplicity.

• TimRooTimRoo Member

The best setup I've found is the wg-easy docker container using Wireguard. Install Wireguard if you need to, install wg-easy as the management interface, and things work incredibly well.

• PixelsPixels Member

Wireguard for everything

Thanked by 1yongsiklee
  • Ed_ChdEd_Chd Member

For the "no-additional client" part, the choices are pretty few. L2TP+IPsec might be the best option available.
    But if you don't mind installing clients, WireGuard definitely wins. If you need speed and extensive routing over actually using a VPN, choose EPs instead of VPNs. V2Ray for the most powerful routing (e.g. load balancing, auto switching, ad blocking, etc) available, and Hysteria for unmatched speed on horrible network connections.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

Wireguard has the better speeds and beats anything on the market today IMO

• kevindskevinds Member, LIR
    edited June 2022

@nanankcornering said:

@default said:
    People should not ask something like that. The point is VPN solution, and that's it.

Why not? VPNs are used for very different use-cases and so which VPN product to use, has different answers..

General internet access from questionable locations is very different from a VPN protecting traffic between two sites.

VPN to secure road-warriors access to 'internal' resources is very different from a VPN designed to provide anonymous internet access.

Someone asking for a VPN solution, more information is needed to give an appropriate answer.

Is installing server/client software allowed or forbidden?

I listed four general VPN use-cases, each has a different answer.

@Nekki said:

It was phrased clearly..

"What's your use-case for VPN?" was very clear.

Thanked by 1Logano
  • Pritunl.

Supports openvpn and wireguard. Apps for all platforms.

WebGUI for server management and user creation and easier deployment.

The go-to solution for Windows without add-on software is Ikev2. It was popular for BlackBerry because it was natively supported whereas openvpn wasn't. You can Google for scripts to do road warrior installs for ikev2.

• edited June 2022

I just use a socks proxy, why make it complicated.

• I switched from Wireguard to ocserv (OpenConnect) since I like SSL vpn and it works from everywhere, just connect to your server https://vpn.domain.com even works from restricted firewalls.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

ssh -D.
    SSH client is built-in on all modern desktop operating systems.

• defaultdefault Veteran

@yoursunny said:
    ssh -D.
    SSH client is built-in on all modern desktop operating systems.

Damn old habits. I was not even aware Windows had SSH implemented. I still have Putty installed on my Windows PC. I learned something useful today.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@kevinds said:

@Nekki said:

It was phrased clearly..

I think that can reasonably be disputed given that multiple people interpreted it differently.

Thanked by 1TimRoo
    edited June 2022

@Nekki said
    I think that can reasonably be disputed given that multiple people interpreted it differently.

Multiple people also only consider that 'their' way is the 'only way'.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited June 2022

@kevinds said:

@Nekki said

>

Multiple people also only consider that 'their' way is the 'only way'.

Thats as may be, but hardly relevant at to the discussion at hand.

@default said: I was not even aware Windows had SSH implemented. I still have Putty installed on my Windows PC. I learned something useful today.

For my SSH uses, I prefer Putty..

@HalfEatenPie said: I'm looking for an easier methodology to setup a VPN with support built-in for Windows and MacOS without needing to install a new client

LT2P/IPSec, IKEv2, or maybe SSTP (I don't know about MacOS's support for SSTP). PPTP is universal but also has nil for security.

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited June 2022

@johnnyquestion said:
    I just use a socks proxy, why make it complicated.

Proxies are not encrypted, they are not the same.

• @kevinds said:

@nanankcornering said:

@default said:

Why not? VPNs are used for very different use-cases and so which VPN product to use, has different answers..

General internet access from questionable locations is very different from a VPN protecting traffic between two sites.

VPN to secure road-warriors access to 'internal' resources is very different from a VPN designed to provide anonymous internet access.

Someone asking for a VPN solution, more information is needed to give an appropriate answer.

Is installing server/client software allowed or forbidden?

I listed four general VPN use-cases, each has a different answer.

@Nekki said:

It was phrased clearly..

The question is fine and reasonable given the many ways to use them. I think they were misinterpreting it from technical implementation question to "what content are you slurping with the vpn" and being all Karen about it. Anyone who looks at vpns already will know there's many configurations and OP lacked on use case. @default would be a shitty consultant for not understanding the problem and projecting his own issues on the client.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

WGoAC