Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Centos7 to Alma/ Rocky8?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Centos7 to Alma/ Rocky8?

I have a couple of VMs running Centos7. Wondering if there is an upgrade path to switch to Alma/ Rocky8?

I would like to see if I can avoid the re-install...

Anyone tried something like this before? Is it advisable?
Thanks

Comments

• It's usually not advised to do this for serious production systems, but I have done it successfully on some VMs using the Alma ELevate project:

https://almalinux.org/elevate

I'm not sure how this would work with more complex installations (like with database servers or other critical services that would be upgraded to different versions), but I can tell you it worked fine for the simple systems I migrated.

• @aj_potc said:
    It's usually not advised to do this for serious production systems, but I have done it successfully on some VMs using the Alma ELevate project:

https://almalinux.org/elevate

I'm not sure how this would work with more complex installations (like with database servers or other critical services that would be upgraded to different versions), but I can tell you it worked fine for the simple systems I migrated.

yeh - i actually learned about this today earlier... Glad to hear that it worked for you. Will try out and see how it goes.

• ploxhostploxhost Member, Patron Provider

I've used elevate in the past, however you'll usually end up with package issues. It's always recommended to just completely reset.

• @markd said:
    I've used elevate in the past, however you'll usually end up with package issues. It's always recommended to just completely reset.

Can you please share some more details on the package issues?