Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mailcheap.co price increase
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Mailcheap.co price increase

tdwuktdwuk Member

Hi,
Received an email from Mailcheap.co a few days ago regarding a price increase on 01/07/22
I was on the $24 annual plan I found here 2 years ago.

They are switching to monthly, the cheapest plan is now $2.99 monthly.
Not the end of the world but a 50% increase.

I have MXRoute but have not managed to set it up yet, it's a bit fiddly and I am probably a bit dim.

Thanked by 1Chuck

Comments

• not cheap anymore

• nqservicesnqservices Member
    edited June 2022

Also using mailcheap service same as you @tdwuk since the $24 plan. Love the quality and that their team is always improving service and platform... but agree with you on the 50% price increase. Not so fair and a surprise... again...

They should at least inform their clients before, and at least offer a upgrade plan at a discouted price for current clients.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@tdwuk said:
    Hi,
    Received an email from Mailcheap.co a few days ago regarding a price increase on 01/07/22
    I was on the $24 annual plan I found here 2 years ago.

They are switching to monthly, the cheapest plan is now $2.99 monthly.
    Not the end of the world but a 50% increase.

I have MXRoute but have not managed to set it up yet, it's a bit fiddly and I am probably a bit dim.

MXRoute really isn’t fiddly - it takes about 5 minutes at most to setup. If you’re stuck, give me a shout.

• tdwuktdwuk Member
    edited June 2022

I managed to get it set up yesterday. I don't understand the need to add an SSL in the MXRoute account when Cloudflare handles the SSL. Unless I am supposed to unproxy the CNAMES, which is not how several tutorials did it.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@tdwuk said:
    I managed to get it set up yesterday. I don't understand the need to add an SSL in the MXRoute account when Cloudflare handles the SSL. Unless I am supposed to unproxy the CNAMES, which is not how several tutorials did it.

I don’t understand what you’ve done because I don’t use Cloudflare, but why wouldn’t you want encryption on the connection between Cloudflare and the MXRoute origin?

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • @Nekki said:

@tdwuk said:

I don’t understand what you’ve done because I don’t use Cloudflare, but why wouldn’t you want encryption on the connection between Cloudflare and the MXRoute origin?

Sounds like @tdwuk was trying to login to webmail with his own domain name. It's probably a good idea to have encryption and if you don't like it you can just login from mxroute directly without adding your own CNAME.

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@NoComment said:

@Nekki said:

@tdwuk said:

Sounds like @tdwuk was trying to login to webmail with his own domain name. It's probably a good idea to have encryption and if you don't like it you can just login from mxroute directly without adding your own CNAME.

Why would you need Cloudflare for that? I use my own domain names without Cloudflare.

• tdwuktdwuk Member

I use cloudflare for the DNS. I re-read the instructions from MXR and it says now to use the cname to access the webmail, that is for setup of mail apps.
    That's why the SSL must be set up in MXR, its not clear if I need to enable CF proxy or leave as DNS only but the YT video I followed left it on.
    I think it is all working, just need to add to a mail app.
    Thanks.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@tdwuk said:
    I use cloudflare for the DNS. I re-read the instructions from MXR and it says now to use the cname to access the webmail, that is for setup of mail apps.
    That's why the SSL must be set up in MXR, its not clear if I need to enable CF proxy or leave as DNS only but the YT video I followed left it on.
    Thanks.

You don’t need to enable the Cloudflare proxy, it’s unnecessary.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • ErisaErisa Member
    edited June 2022

@tdwuk said:
    Thanks.

Both proxied and unproxied should work. The proxy is unnecessary.

But for the sake of clarity:

If unproxied, the certificates generated by MXRoute will be valid and used, same as any other provider if you didnt use Cloudflare.

If proxied, the certificates generated are still used. These will be used to encrypt the connection between Cloudflare and the origin server (In this case MXRoute). Generally you will want to do this if you have it proxied. In this scenario the webmail will still work, which explains why the person making the tutorial had no problems.

But just don't proxy it because theres no real point.

Thanked by 1tdwuk