Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suggestions for idle dedicated server...?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Suggestions for idle dedicated server...?

I know it seems like a silly title, but I've got a SoYouStart (SYS-2-SSD-32) dedicated server that I use every once in a while, but the rest of the time, which could be over 99% of the time these days, it sits there, idling away so happily. It has great CPU power for the price, and every few months I need to run a program that will use all the CPU for several days at time, but that's about it.

Any ideas of what I could do with this server to make some income while I'm not using it?

Comments

• emghemgh Member

Hetzner Cloud hourly?

36 h every 3 months = 12 h a month

CPX51
    vCPU
    AMD
    RAM
    32 GB
    Disk space
    360 GB
    Traffic
    20 TB
    IPv4
    Locations
    € 0.0952 / hr
    € 59.38 / mo

€0.0952 x 12 = 1.1424 eur a month

Thanked by 1fixxation
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@emgh said:
    Hetzner Cloud hourly?

36 h every 3 months = 12 h a month

CPX51
    vCPU
    AMD
    RAM
    32 GB
    Disk space
    360 GB
    Traffic
    20 TB
    IPv4
    Locations
    € 0.0952 / hr
    € 59.38 / mo

€0.0952 x 12 = 1.1424 eur a month

@fixxation said: Any ideas of what I could do with this server to make some income while I'm not using it?

Thanked by 1sgno1
  • You could sell NAT VPS's or even full VPS's since OVH has cheap IP's

• Although @emgh hasn't explicitly answered op's question - it would still be worth investigating that the money saved in the suggestion may yield a greater saving than what they may or may not generate from trying to gain additional income.

Thanked by 2fixxation emgh
  • To make income while idling - what about Storj?

Thanked by 1sgno1
  • Thanks guys- that's a good idea about Hetzner Cloud and CPX51, and then I can just rescale it back down to maybe a CPX21 when I don't need it. Even some early benchmarks are showing the CPX51 is nearly double the performance of my SYS-2-SSD-32... worth I shot alright, I can just try it out and benchmark it compared to my current one with SYS.

Thanks for the tips :smile:

Thanked by 1emgh
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@brejski said:
    To make income while idling - what about Storj?

Storj is a scam, end of story.
    Filecoin is a pile of shit, they send you to a fucking boot camp, before you can setup a node. Fucking hell.

Thanked by 4sgno1 taizi szymonp ralf
  • spiritlhlspiritlhl Member
    edited June 2022

I DM you two projects, better than nothing. . .
    Maybe earn around $0.5 a month?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@spiritlhl said:
    I DM you two projects, better than nothing. . .
    Maybe earn around $0.5 a month?

scp pays more than that and he needs to do nothing, except setup it once.

• @Neoon said:
    scp pays more than that and he needs to do nothing, except setup it once.

It's actually hard to find many other uses, another idea is to split the cost with a few people and use it when you need it.

• ChuckChuck Member
    edited June 2022

Create Free shared hosting?
    Seedbox?
    VPN?
    Storage?

• Maybe donate to some compute intensive projects... there was a post on LET some time back

You'll earn good karma

• taizitaizi Member
    edited June 2022

@plumberg said:
    Maybe donate to some compute intensive projects... there was a post on LET some time back

You'll earn good karma

yes, https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/
    currently they are migration, so i am running primegrid now.with my two virmach dedi,24/7.
    you can also check other projects https://boinc.berkeley.edu/projects.php

reminder:no income,just earn some karma :)

• I'm running Archive Team Warrior on some of my spare VPSes. Basically they archive stuff on the internet, like Geocities and Yahoo Answers when they were shutting down. It's not CPU or disk intensive, it just needs bandwidth. They have a Docker image that makes it easy to run. https://wiki.archiveteam.org/

Thanked by 4devp corbpie dev077 bdl
  • devpdevp Member
    edited June 2022

A dedicated server for personal archive of internet archive content and setup your server as streaming media server.

High Speed Download on server and Stream HD Video Content on 5 mbps connection to your pc smart tv and other media devices.

• Thanks all - I decided to give donate my CPU cycles for good causes, so I'm running Foldingathome now on medium power (uses 15 of my 16 threads)... no income which is fine, I'm just happy to donate rather than have the CPU just sit there

• @fixxation said: every few months I need to run a program that will use all the CPU for several days at time, but that's about it.

Do you build packages like me? I build deb, rpm for x86_64 & aarch64 all day long.