Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bypassing Android's 'One VPN Limit' Using A Server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Bypassing Android's 'One VPN Limit' Using A Server

CabbageCabbage Member
edited June 2022 in General

If you have used Android phone with VPNs, you probably know that only one VPN can be active at a given moment (VPN in work profile doesn't count, because it doesn't affect outside it). This is rather annoying because I have to switch active VPNs whenever I need to have ad block active, access 10.0.0.0/8 in my server without exposing it to the internet, or evade IP ban. Not only that, I can't evade IP ban with ad block on.

One way I thought of doing is having a server to act as a middleman that directs traffic, filter ads and fetch things through a VPN server. I'll be honest, I'm not good with networking and this is just a rough idea. I would like to know if anyone tried to do this kind of setup, and how successful it was.

Comments

• My best guess is like you said, set up a server/host that does all that stuff (block ads, access private network, etc) and create a VPN tunnel to that host.

• For adblock, you can use ublock origin on Firefox and kiwi browser.
    For in app ads, you can use alternatives, like newpipe for YouTube.
    You can also root your device and use hosts file to block ads that way. AdAway is the for root. Finally, you can point your DNS to a pihole or similar adblocking DNS.

Thanked by 2devp Ympker
  • edited June 2022

use tailscale.

you could both access your internal servers and use their exit node feature (technically a exit VPN) by using your server's connection.

https://tailscale.com
    https://tailscale.com/kb/1103/exit-nodes/

no middleman stuffs as it's a direct wireguard connection

• @nanankcornering said: use tailscale.

This is what I am in the process of setting up at the moment. Interestingly, there's been some back and forth on their GitHub about integrating something similar in the client software, so you could route external traffic via a WireGuard-base VPN service. Not sure if any work has been done on it yet, or it's just theoretical.

• @Alex_Leo said:
    For adblock, you can use ublock origin on Firefox and kiwi browser.
    You can also root your device and use hosts file to block ads that way. AdAway is the for root. Finally, you can point your DNS to a pihole or similar adblocking DNS.

For adblock use adguard dns, it works with and without vpn connected

• @szymonp said:

@Alex_Leo said:

Not quite, only on wifi. Cellular dns is forced upon you unless you use "VPN" to substitute your DNS

• @Alex_Leo said:

@szymonp said:

@Alex_Leo said:

Not quite, only on wifi. Cellular dns is forced upon you unless you use "VPN" to substitute your DNS

No in android 9 and newer is allow on celluar as long as the dns uses domain name like "dns.adguard.com" instead of IP like "94.140.14.14"

• @Cabbage said:
    If you have used Android phone with VPNs, you probably know that only one VPN can be active at a given moment (VPN in work profile doesn't count, because it doesn't affect outside it). This is rather annoying because I have to switch active VPNs whenever I need to have ad block active, access 10.0.0.0/8 in my server without exposing it to the internet, or evade IP ban. Not only that, I can't evade IP ban with ad block on.

One way I thought of doing is having a server to act as a middleman that directs traffic, filter ads and fetch things through a VPN server. I'll be honest, I'm not good with networking and this is just a rough idea. I would like to know if anyone tried to do this kind of setup, and how successful it was.

I use opnsense for my home router that has wireguard and NextDNS (but you could use another ad blocker).

Then you get one VPN with ad blocking, access to home LAN and reliable google search and captcha shit because you still appear from home.

Also, I don't use adguard, but I saw on a deal website there's a 40% coupon for stacksocial for lifetime adguard family (9 devices for 18usd?).

• If you can use DoH then it is very easy to make a script to hard code a DNS entry otherwise redirect to another DNS server using a 307 redirect.

if (str_contains($dnsrequest, "\x06server\x03com")) { echo "hardcoded dns"}
    else
    header("Location: https://dns.google/dns-query", true, 307);

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

OpenDNS support various filters (including URLs), so you can setup their DNS records on your device and use any VPN.

• kevindskevinds Member, LIR

I'm confused on what you are doing and why...

Why not just just use your VPN-to-Home all the time? Assuming you ad-block at home too...

• @kevinds said:
    I'm confused on what you are doing and why...

Why not just just use your VPN-to-Home all the time? Assuming you ad-block at home too...

Can you explain what that is?

edited June 2022

@Cabbage said:

@Cabbage said:
    This is rather annoying because I have to switch active VPNs whenever I need to have ad block active, access 10.0.0.0/8 in my server without exposing it to the internet, or evade IP ban. Not only that, I can't evade IP ban with ad block on.

You connect to a VPN to access your server on a 10.0.0.0/8 IP.. Why don't you use this for internet and ad-blocking too?

• CabbageCabbage Member
    edited June 2022

@kevinds said:

@Cabbage said:

@Cabbage said:
    This is rather annoying because I have to switch active VPNs whenever I need to have ad block active, access 10.0.0.0/8 in my server without exposing it to the internet, or evade IP ban. Not only that, I can't evade IP ban with ad block on.

You connect to a VPN to access your server on a 10.0.0.0/8 IP.. Why don't you use this for internet and ad-blocking too?

That's what I suggested in the original post, but I want to know how exactly you set that up, and how it went for those who did it.

• corefluxcoreflux Member
    edited June 2022

I never use pi hole or dns-based adguard so far, because sometimes it blocks some web-based payment gateway systems, so browser-based adblock is easier to control,...

• Ed_ChdEd_Chd Member

https://www.v2ray.com/en/configuration/routing.html
    One to rule them all.
    Or use the AllowedIPs feature of WireGuard.

Thanked by 1Cabbage
  • TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited June 2022

@Cabbage said:

@kevinds said:

@Cabbage said:

@Cabbage said:

That's what I suggested in the original post, but I want to know how exactly you set that up, and how it went for those who did it.

Google "opnsense", " wireguard" and whatever your ad blocker preference is. It'll be two different pages of guides to follow but in the end, you'll have learned a bunch.

@Cabbage said:

It sounds like it is already setup...

• @szymonp said: No in android 9 and newer is allow on celluar as long as the dns uses domain name like "dns.adguard.com" instead of IP like "94.140.14.14"

Ah, I'm on Android 8.1. Phone is about 4 years old and I had no need to upgrade. Unfortunately there are no new updates for it. Will probably upgrade in another 4 years since my phone still keeping up so far.

• @Alex_Leo said:

@szymonp said: No in android 9 and newer is allow on celluar as long as the dns uses domain name like "dns.adguard.com" instead of IP like "94.140.14.14"

Ah, I'm on Android 8.1. Phone is about 4 years old and I had no need to upgrade. Unfortunately there are no new updates for it. Will probably upgrade in another 4 years since my phone still keeping up so far.

You can flash custom fw