Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

cheapwindowsvps review question
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

cheapwindowsvps review question

john_sd3john_sd3 Member
edited June 2022 in General

https://lowendbox.com/blog/unmetered-linux-windows-kvm-vps-offers-from-cheap-windows-vps-cwvps-at-50-off/

is anyone a customer of theirs? how is the service?
do they offer windows license with the plan or is it byol?
how many concurrent users does the 4gb/8gb plan serve?

Comments

• They give license, i dont get the last question, service is ok but cpu is pretty slow and ip is colocrossing so banned from lots of pages, bad for browsing.

Thanked by 1Alireza
  • john_sd3john_sd3 Member
    edited June 2022

@szymonp oh. i meant i am thinking of using a windows vps for a multi-user software. multiple people would simultaneously login using rdp and work. we dont need to access netflix or stuff or even do torrenting so that part is covered.
    what do you mean cpu is pretty slow?

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Cheap Windows VPS has been in business for a long time. I think almost 10 years?

I see LEB offers from them going back to at least 2014 from a quick search.

https://lowendbox.com/blog/cheapwindowsvps-7month-1gb-ssd-kvm-vps-windows-included-in-chicago-and-los-angeles/

Nice to see the longevity.

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

@john_sd3 said:
    @szymonp oh. i meant i am thinking of using a windows vps for a multi-user software. multiple people would simultaneously login using rdp and work. we dont need to access netflix or stuff or even do torrenting so that part is covered.
    what do you mean cpu is pretty slow?

It’s older CPUs, usually with lower frequencies too

• @bruh21 i don't plan to do any video editing or any gaming, not any heavy stuff. the server would be mostly idle for the most part, just office work software.

should i go ahead with the purchase or is there a better alternative?

• szymonpszymonp Member
    edited June 2022

@john_sd3 said:
    @bruh21 i don't plan to do any video editing or any gaming, not any heavy stuff. the server would be mostly idle for the most part, just office work software.

I use the cloud-v windows vps for cloud pc, it is much faster with the ryzen cpu

• @szymonp i saw that here. sadly their offer expired a few days ago. on that post someone had said that they wont use the service for "production use", something to that end

• ManishPantManishPant Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2022

I would recommend hyonix.com if you need stability

Thanked by 1feezioxiii
  • plumbergplumberg Veteran
    edited June 2022

@john_sd3 said:
    @bruh21 i don't plan to do any video editing or any gaming, not any heavy stuff. the server would be mostly idle for the most part, just office work software.

Ask them for a trial and check if the services meet your needs before committing?

Every use case is different. Unless you exactly lay out what you intend to use this for all answers will be subjective

Plus you need to evaluate what's important stability or costs. This will most likely determine your stance here in the future

• @plumberg said:

@john_sd3 said:

Ask them for a trial and check if the services meet your needs before committing?

Every use case is different. Unless you exactly lay out what you intend to use this for all answers will be subjective

Plus you need to evaluate what's important stability or costs. This will most likely determine your stance here in the future

Exactly. The best option would be here to have a trial period before actually purchasing it. That way you can confirm it whether it is the best suitable option for you or not.

• @myresellerhome i sent them a ticket yesterday but they have not responded yet. the ticket shows status as "on hold", whatever that means

• i asked racknerd who had a similar offer on LEB for a demo/trial and they flat out refused. dunno whats wrong with those guys, some stupid ass policy

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@john_sd3 said:
    i asked racknerd who had a similar offer on LEB for a demo/trial and they flat out refused. dunno whats wrong with those guys, some stupid ass policy

Hi @john_sd3 -- Appreciate you reaching out and expressing interest in RackNerd's services. Generally, most providers do not offer demos/trials without payment.

Providers at times offer money-back guarantees. I'd be happy to learn more about your use case and perhaps make an exception to our policy. For transparency, an initial payment would be required though if for any reason you're unhappy within a duration we both agree to, we'd issue a full refund.

Please e-mail me directly if interested [email protected]

edited June 2022

update everyone.

i had raised a ticket with "cheapwindowsvps" and "vpshostingservice.co" . Anyways they responded a few hours ago and the response i got was surprising to say the least.

1. they do offer windows license for the entirety of the service plan so unlike others, i dont have to worry about byol.
    2. This is surprising, they say their windows license only allows "2 concurrent RDP users" which is something i don't understand. their website/faq/whats included or even their lowendbox page so what do you make of it? if they are offering "RDP" but i have to pry that information out of their support, i don't like it.
    3. what about other players who offer windows licenses? do they all have these limitations w.r.t RDP for example? this is only 1 thing that i asked which was my concern so glad i did but i don't know whats in the non-printed fine-print

racknerd guy @dustinc i sent you an email on 6th but havent gotten back from you. oh well

• chipchip Member

@john_sd3 said:
    update everyone.

i had raised a ticket with "cheapwindowsvps" and "vpshostingservice.co" . Anyways they responded a few hours ago and the response i got was surprising to say the least.

1. they do offer windows license for the entirety of the service plan so unlike others, i dont have to worry about byol.
    2. This is surprising, they say their windows license only allows "2 concurrent RDP users" which is something i don't understand. their website/faq/whats included or even their lowendbox page so what do you make of it? if they are offering "RDP" but i have to pry that information out of their support, i don't like it.
    3. what about other players who offer windows licenses? do they all have these limitations w.r.t RDP for example? this is only 1 thing that i asked which was my concern so glad i did but i don't know whats in the non-printed fine-print

racknerd guy @dustinc i sent you an email on 6th but havent gotten back from you. oh well

They will be

the 2 concurrent rdp users is the limit you get from Microsoft

So to access windows server for "administrative" purposes Microsoft grants two free concurrent RDP sessions (I'm sure its in the licensing fee somewhere) after that you need a full fledged RDP server that will need to be licensed too and RDP server is a separate licence aswell

Hi @john_sd3 -- Thank You for sending over the e-mail.

Apologies for the delayed response, I just now replied :)

• @chip ok. thanks for clarification about the concurrent users. i honestly did not know that.

@dustinc thank you, i am checking that now as i write this. looks to me it might just work, i will just pay the full amount if it works for me. this is what i was hoping for, so thank you for that

edited June 2022

@dustinc ok. i have an update. in the last hour, i installed firefox/sumatra and forwarded credentials to a client. they showed me a photo of the server being crypto jacked.

in my 15-19 years of using windows/linux pcs and servers, i have never been a victim of ransomware. this is quite a surprise because i suspect the recent rdp brute force attacks are cause of this.

i am goin got use solus to reinstall the server and try again to expose the rdp with a different port but this is quite a surprise being attacked within an hour of being online.

people, beware

edit: i have reinstalled the server, changed the default rdp port, checked for windows update and started windows defender. i suppose that is the best i can do at the moment

• @john_sd3 said:

people, beware

Lol. Providers and all, please beware of this user. They get crypto jacked left and right.

You should have hardened the server from get-go, implemented firewall rules, created unpriviliged accounts for customers so you don't get hurt.

You will land into more trouble sooner than later... and I really hope you don't expect the provider to manage an unmanaged service

• @plumberg dude get real. i got the login details and i was crypto jacked within an hour. i operate half a dozen linux vps's over 3 providers, never have had trouble like that, i run my own email/pleroma server if thats any consolation...

You should have hardened the server from get-go, implemented firewall rules, created unpriviliged accounts for customers so you don't get hurt.

how am i expected to account for stuff like https://www.techradar.com/news/microsoft-sounds-the-alarm-over-new-wave-of-attacks-on-windows-linux-servers

within an hour? like i edited the post above, i have done some stuff and looks like its holding, i did read a few days/weeks ago about an RDP exploit in the wild

i am not expecting any support from the providers if that's what you are thinking. i am anyways planning to set up B2 for backup of raw data that needs backing up, the image itself can be restored anyways including the software.

this just caught me off guard, i will do stuff like https://trunc.org/learning/brute-force-attacks-against-windows-remote-desktop but it will take time

• @john_sd3 said:
    @plumberg dude get real. i got the login details and i was crypto jacked within an hour. i operate half a dozen linux vps's over 3 providers, never have had trouble like that, i run my own email/pleroma server if thats any consolation...

within an hour?

So you manage multiple VPS, but still cry beware on the provider?
    If you are so seasoned, anyone with sane mind would have done things to patch the OS/ hardened it the moment you get access...

• zedzed Member

@plumberg said:

@john_sd3 said:
    @plumberg dude get real. i got the login details and i was crypto jacked within an hour. i operate half a dozen linux vps's over 3 providers, never have had trouble like that, i run my own email/pleroma server if thats any consolation...

within an hour?

If you are so seasoned, anyone with sane mind would have done things to patch the OS/ hardened it the moment you get access...

to be fair he said "people beware", not "beware on the provider" (whatever that means). i read it as a warning in general about the rdp scanning, guess you read it differently. you seem quite angry, have a better day.

• @zed said:

@plumberg said:

@john_sd3 said:

within an hour?

to be fair he said "people beware", not "beware on the provider" (whatever that means). i read it as a warning in general about the rdp scanning, guess you read it differently. you seem quite angry, have a better day.

Lol.. M not angry. It's entitlement folks have

It's subjective on what that beware things mean. For me it's directed to provider.

@john_sd3 said:

how am i expected to account for stuff like https://www.techradar.com/news/microsoft-sounds-the-alarm-over-new-wave-of-attacks-on-windows-linux-servers

within an hour? like i edited the post above, i have done some stuff and looks like its holding, i did read a few days/weeks ago about an RDP exploit in the wild

i am not expecting any support from the providers if that's what you are thinking. i am anyways planning to set up B2 for backup of raw data that needs backing up, the image itself can be restored anyways including the software.

this just caught me off guard, i will do stuff like https://trunc.org/learning/brute-force-attacks-against-windows-remote-desktop but it will take time

Thanks for sharing this. I've yet to personally see something like this in our environment (or hear of reports), especially one that would be that quick. I'll be keeping an eye out.

By default, we do deliver services on an unmanaged basis and deliver them online on default ports. From there, it’s up to the customer whether they wish to change the listening ports or take any extra security precautions. No doubt, Windows is definitely a much more vulnerable environment in nature, I agree with you there. Taking extra security precautions such as changing RDP listening port is a good practice.

Please feel free to respond back to me via email if we can assist further in any way.

• @plumberg dude what is wrong with you. i said "people beware" , i had heard about rdp scanning, i have fail2ban on my linux vps so that isnt even on my radar.

it went from 2 pm i got access and 2:45 i am locked out, how was i supposed to know this? easy for you to say i guess.

did you read my above comment where i wrote "edit: i have reinstalled the server, changed the default rdp port, checked for windows update and started windows defender. i suppose that is the best i can do at the moment"

did i write about being a crybaby or asking people to get off racknerd? i made an observation and wrote what i did. was i supposed to keep quiet and not share this here or anywhere? what if a person tomorrow reads my post and does not see this thing about keeping default RDP ports?

then i wrote "i am not expecting any support from the providers if that's what you are thinking. i am anyways planning to set up B2 for backup of raw data that needs backing up, the image itself can be restored anyways including the software."

what does that mean?

@dustinc i understand what it means to use an unmanaged server so i am not complaining on that part. i wrote about being cryptojacked and the ransomware so that people would be made aware about it. thats all.

• @john_sd3 said:
    @dustinc ok. i have an update. in the last hour, i installed firefox/sumatra and forwarded credentials to a client. they showed me a photo of the server being crypto jacked.

in my 15-19 years of using windows/linux pcs and servers, i have never been a victim of ransomware. this is quite a surprise because i suspect the recent rdp brute force attacks are cause of this.

i am goin got use solus to reinstall the server and try again to expose the rdp with a different port but this is quite a surprise being attacked within an hour of being online.

people, beware

edit: i have reinstalled the server, changed the default rdp port, checked for windows update and started windows defender. i suppose that is the best i can do at the moment

Never had an issue like that with this host, not their fault. Did you make sure to set a strong password?

• @john_sd3 said:

people, beware

Help yourself by installing IPBan, similar to fail2ban on Linux, it bans IPs trying to brute force
    https://github.com/DigitalRuby/IPBan

Thanked by 1ariq01
  • @john_sd3 said:
    @plumberg dude what is wrong with you. i said "people beware" , i had heard about rdp scanning, i have fail2ban on my linux vps so that isnt even on my radar.

it went from 2 pm i got access and 2:45 i am locked out, how was i supposed to know this? easy for you to say i guess.

did you read my above comment where i wrote "edit: i have reinstalled the server, changed the default rdp port, checked for windows update and started windows defender. i suppose that is the best i can do at the moment"

Your original post for the cryptojack thing...

i have an update. in the last hour, i installed firefox/sumatra and forwarded credentials to a client...

So you shared credentials without server management.. and then say beware???

did i write about being a crybaby or asking people to get off racknerd? i made an observation and wrote what i did. was i supposed to keep quiet and not share this here or anywhere? what if a person tomorrow reads my post and does not see this thing about keeping default RDP ports?

Changing ports is just security through obscurity. Your bad server management will not be shielded. Yes you should NOT have made a post here and cried about your own mistake.

then i wrote "i am not expecting any support from the providers if that's what you are thinking. i am anyways planning to set up B2 for backup of raw data that needs backing up, the image itself can be restored anyways including the software."

what does that mean?

>

Whatever helps you sleep better.