Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Zoho mail....sigh....
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Zoho mail....sigh....

edited June 2022 in General

Welp, so much for switching to Zoho. Getting bounced emails due to one of their IP's getting blacklisted. I can just host it myself if I want to have to deal with that BS.

I guess it's back to Google and just paying whatever they want. I used them for several years and can't ever remember getting bounced emails. I was only saving something like $30 a year and I am going to just have to eat that first annual payment to Zoho. Definitely not enough of a savings to justify having to deal with bounced emails.

They do some other things that are kind of annoying as well. Their SPAM filtering and settings are kind of wierd. I can't really target things with filtering the way I can with Google. Also, they don't do labels like Google does. So each folder you use is more storage space required. I thought I had finally worked through all the issues. Got everything working more or less the way I wanted. I put in a lot of time to make this transition and it was all just a waste.

Really disappointed in Zoho. They totally dropped the ball. The one thing that is an absolute must non-negotiable total dealbreaker is blacklisted IP's resulting in bounced emails. That should never happen. I seriously doubt this is just a one off. There is never just one cockroach. Now I am going to have to redo my transition in reverse to go back to Google. Total PiTA. Especially since I need to set up Oauth for WHMCS, which is a huge hassle the way Google does it. They just love making everything overly complicated but at least it all seems to work in the end.

Comments

• I uss microsoft email hosting and I am really happy with it. If you hate google so much, maybe try it?

Thanked by 1rafaelscs
  • szymonpszymonp Member
    edited June 2022

@szymonp said:
    I uss microsoft email hosting and I am really happy with it. If you hate google so much, maybe try it?

They also give more cloud storage for the same price, google does 30 GB for 6$, microsoft does 1TB and they give you 50GB for mailbox while google counts emails towards the 30GB cloud storage limit

Thanked by 1Logano
  • edited June 2022

@szymonp said:
    I uss microsoft email hosting and I am really happy with it. If you hate google so much, maybe try it?

I might just do that.

• @LosPollosHermanos said:

@szymonp said:

I might just do that, but I hate Microsoft even more.

I hate them too but their email hosting is good so

• edited June 2022

@szymonp said:

@szymonp said:

They also give more cloud storage for the same price, google does 30 GB for 6$, microsoft does 1TB and they give you 50GB for mailbox while google counts emails towards the 30GB cloud storage limit

Is that the Microsoft 365 Business Basic plan you are refering to?

30GB vs 1TB is definitely way better but I would not be surprised if they were also pulling a free Gsuite type scam to grow the customer base before raising prices.

• Does it include custom domain as well? Because it's weird how they have marketed custom domain as a feature in their 12$ plan only?

• @LosPollosHermanos said:
    Welp, so much for switching to Zoho. Getting bounced emails due to one of their IP's getting blacklisted. I can just host it myself if I want to have to deal with that BS.

I guess it's back to Google and just paying whatever they want. I used them for several years and can't ever remember getting bounced emails. I was only saving something like $30 a year and I am going to just have to eat that first annual payment to Zoho. Definitely not enough of a savings to justify having to deal with bounced emails.

They do some other things that are kind of annoying as well. Their SPAM filtering and settings are kind of wierd. I can't really target things with filtering the way I can with Google. Also, they don't do labels like Google does. So each folder you use is more storage space required. I thought I had finally worked through all the issues. Got everything working more or less the way I wanted. I put in a lot of time to make this transition and it was all just a waste.

Really disappointed in Zoho. They totally dropped the ball. The one thing that is an absolute must non-negotiable total dealbreaker is blacklisted IP's resulting in bounced emails. That should never happen. I seriously doubt this is just a one off. There is never just one cockroach. Now I am going to have to redo my transition in reverse to go back to Google. Total PiTA. Especially since I need to set up Oauth for WHMCS, which is a huge hassle the way Google does it. They just love making everything overly complicated but at least it all seems to work in the end.

Can you maybe elaborate a bit better? I have been using their service for quite a bit and have never faced this issue. Are you on the paid plan and your region maybe?

• sanvitsanvit Member

@chickenkothu said:

Does it include custom domain as well? Because it's weird how they have marketed custom domain as a feature in their 12$ plan only?

iirc they offer custom mail for GoDaddy registered domains for lower plans. However, there was a workaround that allowed non-godaddy domains to enable that feature.

• @sanvit said:

@chickenkothu said:

Does it include custom domain as well? Because it's weird how they have marketed custom domain as a feature in their 12$ plan only?

iirc they offer custom mail for GoDaddy registered domains for lower plans. However, there was a workaround that allowed non-godaddy domains to enable that feature.

I think that was for their personal (Home/Family) plans, I'm confident that their enterprise plans work different. Either-ways very weird wording with the 4$ and the 12$ plans. :(

• sanvitsanvit Member
    edited June 2022

@chickenkothu said:

@sanvit said:

@chickenkothu said:

I think that was for their personal (Home/Family) plans, I'm confident that their enterprise plans work different. Either-ways very weird wording with the 4$ and the 12$ plans. :(

Ah, indeed I was talking about the personal plans. I think I mis-read.

Anyway, @OP why not @jar or any other web hostings that use MailChannels/MailBaby?

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

Microsoft 365 has much better e-mail filtering, Exchange is actually really rather good at that sort of thing.

I pay $6/user/month for 365 Business Basic and think for the 1TB storage and e-mail hosting it really is a pretty good deal.

• @LordSpock said:
    Microsoft 365 has much better e-mail filtering, Exchange is actually really rather good at that sort of thing.

I pay $6/user/month for 365 Business Basic and think for the 1TB storage and e-mail hosting it really is a pretty good deal.

Yeah all spam goes to spam for me, it does sometimes put real emails from let providers there lol

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

@szymonp said:

@LordSpock said:

Yeah all spam goes to spam for me, it does sometimes put real emails from let providers there lol

Same here, but whenever I check the headers - they've always got a misconfigured mail server and the content isn't usually that interesting anyway.

I have shit tons of advanced rules to move things in to various folders too and I've never been able to have quite the same experience anywhere else.

• @LordSpock said:

@szymonp said:

@LordSpock said:

Same here, but whenever I check the headers - they've always got a misconfigured mail server and the content isn't usually that interesting anyway.

I have shit tons of advanced rules to move things in to various folders too and I've never been able to have quite the same experience anywhere else.

They also have the power automate thing that can do basically anything with your mailbox

Thanked by 1LordSpock
  • BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

@LosPollosHermanos said:

@szymonp said:

I might just do that.

Just go with Google, else in 2023 you might create another post - writing about how you hated the shift from Zoho - MS instead of Google.

I've been on G Suite / Google Workspace / Google App or w/e it was called since long. Those extra few bucks spent is worth the hassle.

Thanked by 1lonea
  • lonealonea Member, Host Rep

Haha, outlook/microsoft is the worst offender when it comes to email.

Their spam filter is so shit if you are a provider.

Don't see why anyone would avoid google when it's clearly the best solution for the sole purpose of emails.

• edited June 2022

@chickenkothu said:

@LosPollosHermanos said:

Can you maybe elaborate a bit better? I have been using their service for quite a bit and have never faced this issue. Are you on the paid plan and your region maybe?

You can't do SMTP on a free plan so yes I am on a paid plan, which I did mention.

Here is a forum link where they acknowledge the problem.

https://help.zoho.com/portal/en/community/topic/spamcot-blocked-zoho-mail

• ChronicChronic Member
    edited June 2022

@lonea said: Don't see why anyone would avoid google

Because we don't want to further feed their machine learning algorithms, and support a ginormous company that poses a threat to the well-being of our society?

• lonealonea Member, Host Rep

@Chronic said:

@lonea said: Don't see why anyone would avoid google

Because we don't want to further feed their machine learning algorithms, and support a ginormous company that poses a threat to the well-being of our society?

As if other companies aren't doing the same thing...

Don't be naïve

• ChronicChronic Member
    edited June 2022

@lonea said: As if other companies aren't doing the same thing...

Plenty of them are. And I equally avoid using their services where I can. Minimizing exposure is beneficial, don't let perfect be the enemy of good

Thanked by 1jar