Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lenovo X240 - should I return or keep it?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Lenovo X240 - should I return or keep it?

asterisk14asterisk14 Member
edited May 2022 in General

I bought a used Lenovo X240 which looked like a decent deal but maybe a bit of a lemon. Should I return it or keep it?

Specs are:-

Intel® Core™ i3-4010U (Up to 1.70 GHz, 3MB L3, 1600 MHz FSB)
4GB RAM
SSD: 120GB Crucial SSD & 16GB mSATA (Sandisk U110) card
12.5" HD (1366 x 768) - pretty dim but I read they are all like this
Battery : External and internal batteries (look to be in decent condition last 5- 6 hours)
Windows 10 Education activated

Cost : £40 ($50)

Good bits : Everything works

Bad bits: It has been opened and fiddled about a bit with:-
5 screws are missing from the back case which I didn't realise.
I hear a rattle when I shake it which I think is from the SSD drive not being screwed down.
There's a grey wire sticking out near the hinge which probably needs to back into the laptop - I think maybe WIFI wire.
Battery latch on one side broken
No charger supplied (will cost £8/$9)
I don't really need it as I have a Dell Latitude 5400 (Core i5), Dell E6400 (Core 2 Duo), HP Stream 11 (Celeron N3050 (2015)), Lenovo x61 (Core 2 Duo 1.7Ghz, but needs new fan), Dell Vostro 1500 (core 2 duo 1.4GHz)

What should I do? Keep and fix these few niggles or give it back?

X240 - keep or return
  1. What to do?24 votes
    1. Keep and fix the niggles
      58.33%
    2. Give it back and look to get my laptop addiction treated
      41.67%

Comments

• momkinmomkin Member

@asterisk14 said:

$50 And you want it to be perfect ??

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • What you planning to use it for? I would spend a little more and get a chrome book type stuff if you can spare some moolah

This may not be your best interest unless there are some other constraints you have not made us aware of.

• Depends on whether you're confident in opening it up and fixing the niggles. Seems reasonable for the little cash spent, especially given battery duration. Run a battery test (free to download) on each to determine the available capacity.

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited June 2022

@momkin said:

@asterisk14 said:

$50 And you want it to be perfect ??

I didn't know what these are worth really, it was an impulse buy and didn't expect it to be perfect but a bit concerned that whole thing is held together buy 4 screws and the hard disk is loose inside rattling about. Seller told me there were no problems or issues with it before I bought it so a bit cheesed off.

@plumberg said:
    What you planning to use it for? I would spend a little more and get a chrome book type stuff if you can spare some moolah

This may not be your best interest unless there are some other constraints you have not made us aware of.

Every so often, for some unknown reason, I feel the need to buy a cheap laptop I don't need to see what I can get for my money. This X240 would be the 2nd best laptop of my collection (or the best if I get rid of my Latitude 5400 back which I may have to soon) and it would most likely idle (like my VPS's) with some occasional use (mostly internet browsing, youtube - nothing hardcore) until my latitude 5400 is gone.

Martin Lewis's rules for buying:-
    Do I need it: Not really, I could use one of the other laptops
    Can I afford it : Yes, I got loads of money
    Will I use it: Occasionally, but probably will be my main laptop if I get rid of my Latitude 5400
    Can I get it cheaper: Maybe or is it better value to buy something like this https://argos.co.uk/product/1149984?clickPR=plp:2:272 which seems to have a similar CPU benchmark to the Lenovo's i3 processor and is not much more money and battery will be new.

• if you had to open a thread about this, means you already want to return it. so do it.

• yongsikleeyongsiklee Member, Patron Provider

@asterisk14 said:
    I bought a used Lenovo X240 which looked like a decent deal but maybe a bit of a lemon. Should I return it or keep it?

Specs are:-

Intel® Core™ i3-4010U (Up to 1.70 GHz, 3MB L3, 1600 MHz FSB)
    4GB RAM
    SSD: 120GB Crucial SSD & 16GB mSATA (Sandisk U110) card
    12.5" HD (1366 x 768) - pretty dim but I read they are all like this
    Battery : External and internal batteries (look to be in decent condition last 5- 6 hours)
    Windows 10 Education activated

Cost : £40 ($50)

Good bits : Everything works

Bad bits: It has been opened and fiddled about a bit with:-
    5 screws are missing from the back case which I didn't realise.
    I hear a rattle when I shake it which I think is from the SSD drive not being screwed down.
    There's a grey wire sticking out near the hinge which probably needs to back into the laptop - I think maybe WIFI wire.
    Battery latch on one side broken
    No charger supplied (will cost £8/$9)
    I don't really need it as I have a Dell Latitude 5400 (Core i5), Dell E6400 (Core 2 Duo), HP Stream 11 (Celeron N3050 (2015)), Lenovo x61 (Core 2 Duo 1.7Ghz, but needs new fan), Dell Vostro 1500 (core 2 duo 1.4GHz)

What should I do? Keep and fix these few niggles or give it back?

Work, work and work and buy a new laptop.

Thanked by 1jason5545
  • emghemgh Member

If not a hobby: Get 1 good laptop not needing work, get rid of everything else.

If hobby: keep it and fix it.

• I might be wrong but all of this machines seem to old. I would sell those and try to get a more recent one with an i5 at least 8th gen.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • LoganoLogano Member

Shipping costs not worth the trouble, IMO.

Personally, I don't like the laptop, it's 1366x768 and probably a crap TN panel, but maybe you can fix it up and gift it to some poor dude.

Also, I like to keep a big pack of extra computer screws around. It's like 5 bucks on Aliexpress.

• bdlbdl Member

Did it fall off the back of a truck? :)