Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pre-Launch: Would you like a VPS from us?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Pre-Launch: Would you like a VPS from us?

Shane_ElmoreShane_Elmore Member
edited March 2012 in General

Turns out my old thread counted as an "ad without a website/billing system", which apparently is frowned upon here. My question I have today is "Would you like to buy a VPS from us when DepotVPS launches?". Here is my reasons why:

• Low cost: You would not lose much money if I had to shut it down for whatever reason, not saying I'm gonna be an overnight LEB provider.
  • Experience: I am 16 years old turning 17 in August, studying on my personal time what it's like to run different computer companies. You would be helping me find out what I want to do when I get out of college or after whatever education I decide to do after high school.
  • Education (again): I am in an entrepreneurship class at my homeschool program. The business I am launching in that class is a web design business, and to offer as an extra, I was thinking about offering my clients hosting if they didn't want to trouble themselves trying to find the right host.

PM me if you are interested in a VPS from us, I will notify you when we lanuch then.

Here is a test IP from us to show we have the resources:
http://199.96.82.55/

Thank you for reading.

Comments

• @DepotVPS_Shane said: Experience: I am 16 years old turning 17 in August

Perhaps give it a few more years? you are very young to start your own company

• @DanielM: Not trying to be rude, but read the third reason. :)

Education (again): I am in an entrepreneurship class at my homeschool program. The business I am launching in that class is a web design business, and to offer as an extra, I was thinking about offering my clients hosting if they didn't want to trouble themselves trying to find the right host.

This is part of my class, so it's kind of part of my schoolwork.

• @DepotVPS_Shane said: Not trying to be rude, but read the third reason. :)

Fair enough. But take a look at the dead pool over the last year. Most where kids/Teens Which tells you alot.

• @DepotVPS_Shane said: This is part of my class, so it's kind of part of my schoolwork.

So... what happens if you decide to change your career path, or finish this course? No offense, but starting a providing company is a commitment, and clients deserve better than to just be tossed away when they're no longer convenient.

• I woulnd't buy a VPS from a new company
    I did this several times, and or the VPS is slow, and/or they die in a few weeks/months

So a No for me

Thanked by 1yomero
  • @Aldryic: I am pretty sure this is what I want to do. However, if I do decide to go off to something else, I wouldn't just throw away the customers unless it's really needed. I would most likely look for someone to take it over.

@joodle: Alright. We are trying to aim not to be that, but you are entitled to what you think. :)

• flyfly Member

homeschool program
    experience

heh

• Based on your three criteria above (Low Cost, Experience, Education), I'll buy one, but it'll be a few invoice cycles before I can trust it to use it for anything.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I would use one for free and give you feedback, I would not however count this as a viable homework project.

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited March 2012

@AnthonySmith said: I would use one for free and give you feedback, I would not however count this as a viable homework project.

I would be surprised if any school/teacher even knew what a VPS was. I know in my ITC lessons i could throw a lot of stuff the teachers way and he wouldn't have a clue what i was talking about and that was like 5/6 year ago.

• My entrepenuership teacher knew cause he has several years IT experience. However, this is also for me to find what I want to do after high school, not just education.

• @VMPort said: I would be surprised if any school/teacher even knew what a VPS was. I know in my ITC lessons i could throw a lot of stuff the teachers way and he wouldn't have a clue what i was talking about and that was like 5/6 year ago.

Wow, it seems this happens everywhere.
    Some teachers are completely... outdated or uninformed of the ongoing stuff ¬¬ which is a shame.

• @DepotVPS_Shane said: Would you like to buy a VPS from us when DepotVPS launches?"

The business I am launching in that class is a web design business, and to offer as an extra, I was thinking about offering my clients hosting...

You do not need to sell VPSs to operate a web design & hosting business. Selling VPSs and administering the servers, network, etc. is a very different undertaking from designing & hosting websites for clients.

Selling VPSs is a bad idea, because (a) you do not have the technical skill & experience, (b) you do not have the financial resources, and (c) the market is saturated and highly competitive.

Creating a web design/hosting business could be a very good idea, if you (a) focus solely on your local market, (b) strive to provide personal & value-added services for your clients, which set you apart from the anonymous big-name hosts, and (c) purchase your hosting service from an established and reputable (VPS) provider and become obsessive about performance, uptime and backups :)

• I see your skills using Google Translate are still not up to par. There is no 'i' in Cyrillic.

• flyfly Member

heh someone found google translate lol

• @Aldryic said: There is no 'i' in Cyrillic.

Cyrillic

Thanked by 2ElliotJ bugrakoc
  • debugdebug Member

Where do you live- in the US? Also I think if there are legal problems your parents get blamed- so okay it with them.

• SteveSteve Member

Constantinos is trying to make it look like he has some involvement in your company, so no one will buy from you.

Nice try. You're fooling no one.

• @Steve, I am NOT Constantinos. If someone from the US wants to Skype me or call my cell to verify, I will do that.

• In regards to the actual topic here. If he really wants to do this business, why not just let him? If he fails, he will learn a valuable lesson.

Not like any of you actually have to buy a VPS from him.

Thanked by 1NanoG6
  • SteveSteve Member

@DepotVPS_Shane

I'm not saying you're Constantinos. I'm saying that he's trying to make it look like he's involved with your start-up.

• JacobJacob Member

Shane, Stop with the threads seriously. We love the enthusiasm but when I wake up every morning all I see is a new thread from you and usually about the same thing.

Not to be a dream crusher but We would like to know when it is near to completion.

• SteveSteve Member

@DepotVPS_Shane
    I'm not your guy, buddy.

• Please close this thread.

I am re-trying when it officially launches.

This discussion has been closed.