Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AlmaLinux 9 Now Available
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

AlmaLinux 9 Now Available

dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

AlmaLinux 9 just got released into general availability a few moments ago.

https://almalinux.org/blog/almalinux-9-now-available/

Curious to know if anyone here has tried it yet, feel free to share your feedback :)

Comments

• Great distribution.

• jugganutsjugganuts Member
    edited May 2022

Just yesterday I was having problems with enabling the epel repo.

• ChuckChuck Member

Free vps for life giveaway to celebrate?

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • ForhostingForhosting Member, Host Rep

No, I haven't tested this yet but I was aware it just got released so it's moving into our testing phase.

• mirocmiroc Member

I want KörteLinux 9 instead

Thanked by 1zeli
  • I want Clear Linux.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Confirmed. We hope you guys enjoy the new release!

• I wonder if AlmaLinux 8 can be upgraded to AlmaLinux 9 with commands without reinstalling?

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • I usually select Almalinux because its first in the list and then reinstall with iso. maybe i should try it..

• sotssots Member

@racknerd1111 said:
    I wonder if AlmaLinux 8 can be upgraded to AlmaLinux 9 with commands without reinstalling?

Just change your repo URL and run package manager to upgrade your system. No reinstalling required.

• m4num4nu Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2022

Been running Centos Stream 9 and Alma 8 on several production servers for months. All well. Just some update issues with Alma in the very beginning, but didn’t see those again.

So Alma 9 should be great too. Kudos to them for such a quick release.

Thanked by 2JasonM szarka
  • Got RHEL 9 on 18. Nothing fancy, it's just updated packages every time. Will wait for Rocky Linux.

If I hadn't deployed 8.6 earlier. I would have cared about 9. RHEL don't ship minimal iso with BaseOS packages.

I think I will fork RHEL 9 this time and build LE* Linux.

I have a logo on mind.

BTW Racknerd updated all their outdated images?

Rocky, Alma both 8.4. Fedora all EOLd versions, Ubuntu few EOLd.

I don't know what's the point of keeping outdated image of Rocky, Alma as a simple dnf upgrade would upgrade to latest one and that's the first thing everyone do. Infrastructure wise this just wastes resources for everyone.

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@Boogeyman said:
    Got RHEL 9 on 18. Nothing fancy, it's just updated packages every time. Will wait for Rocky Linux.

If I hadn't deployed 8.6 earlier. I would have cared about 9. RHEL don't ship minimal iso with BaseOS packages.

I think I will fork RHEL 9 this time and build LE* Linux.

I have a logo on mind.

BTW Racknerd updated all their outdated images?

Rocky, Alma both 8.4. Fedora all EOLd versions, Ubuntu few EOLd.

I don't know what's the point of keeping outdated image of Rocky, Alma as a simple dnf upgrade would upgrade to latest one and that's the first thing everyone do. Infrastructure wise this just wastes resources for everyone.

Great feedback @Boogeyman -- Thank You for sharing your experience with RHEL 9.

We’re working on updating our AlmaLinux OS template -- in the meantime, as you pointed out, folks can do a dnf upgrade, or we can mount a custom ISO upon request for users who wish to perform a manual OS installation.

We will have more exciting news to announce soon, including a new Ubuntu 22.04 OS template :)

P.S. We intentionally have EOL OS templates (such as CentOS 6, Ubuntu 14.04, Ubuntu 16.04, etc) available for the purposes of end-users who are developers and/or those who wish to run an outdated OS at their own risk. For the EOL OS templates, we remove them from public view on our ordering forms - so the only way to reinstall to it would be via the SolusVM control panel after ordering. For those OS templates we specifically state that it is EOL in the SolusVM OS template description. We’d remove them entirely, but we do have a handful of customers who utilize their VPS as development sandboxes, to test their software/scripts across different platforms/OS -- I’m sure there are other valid use cases as well.

• AndrewsAndrews Member

@dustinc said:
    P.S. We intentionally have EOL OS templates (such as CentOS 6, Ubuntu 14.04, Ubuntu 16.04, etc) available for the purposes of end-users who are developers and/or those who wish to run an outdated OS at their own risk. For the EOL OS templates, we remove them from public view on our ordering forms - so the only way to reinstall to it would be via the SolusVM control panel after ordering. For those OS templates we specifically state that it is EOL in the SolusVM OS template description. We’d remove them entirely, but we do have a handful of customers who utilize their VPS as development sandboxes, to test their software/scripts across different platforms/OS -- I’m sure there are other valid use cases as well.

btw. Ubuntu has unpleasant habit, that when distro goes EOL they move support from their packages repos (switch from archive.ubuntu.com server to old-releases.ubuntu.com server), so such distros end with failing apt update/upgrade commands

of course users can handle it, especially when they are requesting specific EOL distro, but it could be better to implement respective update (/etc/apt/sources.list config file) in such EOL template than have many users issues, unnecessary support tickets or excessive security risk (these EOL distros still get some security updates)

https://barryodonovan.com/2022/01/31/upgrading-legacy-versions-of-ubuntu

I don't know if your EOL templates are patched or not, I mention just in case

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member

literally who gives a fuck about almalinux? this feels like a thread from the old dude paid to post.

• Thanks for adding this. I tried it last week on a solus.io master and also Hostbill - both worked great :)

• VoidVoid Member

@SirFoxy said:
    literally who gives a fuck about almalinux? this feels like a thread from the old dude paid to post.

Who paid who ?

• active8active8 Member

@sots said: Just change your repo URL and run package manager to upgrade your system. No reinstalling required.

Can you explain this ?, never heard about this way of upgrading

• When will racknerd released block storage, looking forward.

• @MikePT said:

We?

• Jesus Christ people, just google "upgrade X to Y" for instructions on upgrading. You can always find someone who already did it with commands and screenshots.

• @SirFoxy said: literally who gives a fuck about almalinux? this feels like a thread from the old dude paid to post.

I fear corporations, governments. They can literally make anyone shill. Even the rich enough dude to pay for all forum ads.

I wonder what happened with BetterLinux. Do these corporations have secret red telephone like cold war times?

CloudLinux: Hey dude, how about we make things painful for all EIG companies?

Bluehost: Understandable, have a great day. We are shutting down our distro.

If anyone can't get these jokes look for connections between all these companies.

• laobanlaoban Member

Does anyone know how to install networks-scripts in Almalinux 9? For some reasons, I still need it instead of NetworkManager.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@TimboJones said:

@MikePT said:

We?

CloudLinux are the biggest AlmaLinux sponsor, very tied to each other :)

• skorousskorous Member

@laoban said:
    Does anyone know how to install networks-scripts in Almalinux 9? For some reasons, I still need it instead of NetworkManager.

Hasn't it be known to be deprecated and wouldn't be in 9?