Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recommend a good SDD for home use, gaming, etc?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Recommend a good SDD for home use, gaming, etc?

Currently have a Corsair 120GB SSD. Looking to upgrade this really as with the current size of Steam/Origin games the space is getting rinsed pretty quickly. Looking at something 250GB+ plus.

Anyone purchased an SSD recently and would recommend it?

Cheers.

Comments

• If you primarily want more space for gaming (and have space inside your chassis), why not consider getting 2 higher capacity mechanical disks and putting them in RAID 0? I did this recently for my Steam library and loading times are now barely noticeable.

Most games tend to use a lot of sequential io for loading levels, so the random io speed advantage of an ssd doesn't really come into affect.

• georgegeorge Member
    edited December 2013

Samsung 840 Pro 2.5" 256GB

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009NB8WRU/

• Samsung 840 Evo 250G or 500G would do...

• skaska Member
    edited December 2013

If you're into gaming on a SSD, nothing beats PCI-Express-SSDs. Have a look at the RoG Raidr Express. It is ~40% faster on sequential read/write than the Samsung SSD 840 Pro; providing up to 850 MB/s seq. on PCIe 2.0 x2. The Raidr's controller is a RAID-0 2x SandForce SF-2281. The RAID itself is managed by a Marvell 88SE9230. It consumes around 3,8 W on write.

• leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

@JerryHou said:
    Samsung 840 Evo 250G or 500G would do...

+1. Especially on Windows.

• Instead of spending stupid amounts on a SSD get a seagate momentus XT (not sshd because they are only 5400)

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited December 2013

840 EVO + Magician Software to boost will work great if you're using Windows.

You just missed out on the blackfriday deals on Amazon, they had some huge price cuts.

• Samsung EVO 250GB or +

it's magic (:

• jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2013

Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 480GB

Controller: SandForce (Like Intel 520 Series)

MTBF: 2.000.000 hours / 3yr warranty

Price: 300 USD @ Amazon

• An alternative to the ever bigger ssd, is to get steam mover and just shift some of those bloated but otherwise non intensive games to a spinning disk.

• SSD do nothing for gaming performance other than speed up some load times. It's a waste to use SSD to store games. But if you're insistent go for the Samsung EVO.

Just change the directory on your steam library to a normal 7200rpm HDD. Save your money and upgrade something that does make a difference with games, like you GPU.

• If you want a low cost SSD $110 for 230GB of SSD (using PCI-e also)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820228049

I got one and it works good. Best bang for buck right now. It's < $0.50 / 1GB of space.

• FluX said: SSD do nothing for gaming performance other than speed up some load times. It's a waste to use SSD to store games. But if you're insistent go for the Samsung EVO.

^^^^
    IMO, the best choice would be to use part of that ssd to cache your hd.

• I've been using Samsung 840 Pros on my home rig, they've been really reliable and very very fast.