Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My opinion about Mevspace (prev. Skynode)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

My opinion about Mevspace (prev. Skynode)

Hi guys
So, a few days after I found out I need a custom solution at the price of Hetzner but with cheap IPs.. After several days of research, and discussions on forums, I was suggested to contact @Mevspace . And I need to say, I am very, very surprised about their support, but also, a bit disappointed about one thing, but... I will describe it later on.
Besides Mevspace, I was also considering Rise-1 from OVH (E-2136, 64GB RAM, 2x512NVMe, 2x4TB SATA HDD), mostly because of cheap IPs, but price won. I excluded @Hetzner_OL because of their IP setup price - I know times are hard, but hey, 304EUR (ex. VAT) for setting up a /28 subnet? No, thanks, this is definitely too much...
I took a look at ServerHunter and some other Low-End providers, but I did not want to use antique hardware like L5420 and pay extra money for a second SSD and two HDDs...
So I contacted Mevspace by email asking about customizing the server - I wrote a query late Sunday evening and... Their sales department answered... After one hour! After several emails with lots of questions about for example platform etc., they finally prepared an offer (it was less than 12 hours since I sent a query). I was very surprised because... They used a voucher for the standard server to make it cheaper. Once I made a payment, their technician immediately mounted 2 HDD drives. Unfortunately, these were not new (for now, both have about 28k power-on hours).
Also, technical support response time was... I need to call it immediate. Yes - they delivered a server with Debian 10, but I needed CentOS 8 and after reinstalling, the server stopped responding.
And here comes the thing that disappointed me:. After one hour of a support call, technicians found that.... RHEL-based images do not work on this custom setup!. That disappointed me a bit. Instead of cloud-init image, I also tried to install Rocky Linux via KVM and... That's the error I got:

Started cancel waiting for multipath sibling of sda

Besides, I cannot say anything bad about Mevspace. I thought Hetzner is very good, but when a similar situation happened to my server at Hetzner, the technician only connected KVM and good luck. Hetzner's technician did not care that the issue happened after executing their installimagescript and with their supported, official CentOS image. No investigation - whole will of help was just to connect KVM.

And now, something for YABS fanatics. YABS from Mevnode:
root@mevspace1 ~# curl -sL yabs.sh | bash
# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
# Yet-Another-Bench-Script #
# v2022-05-06 #
# https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #
# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #

Tue 24 May 2022 08:49:10 PM UTC

Basic System Information:
---------------------------------
Uptime     : 1 days, 2 hours, 37 minutes
Processor  : AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor
CPU cores  : 12 @ 3600.000 MHz
AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
RAM        : 62.8 GiB
Swap       : 15.3 GiB
Disk       : 440.8 GiB
Distro     : Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)
Kernel     : 5.15.35-1-pve

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
  ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
Read       | 562.70 MB/s (140.6k) | 860.40 MB/s  (13.4k)
Write      | 564.19 MB/s (141.0k) | 864.93 MB/s  (13.5k)
Total      | 1.12 GB/s   (281.7k) | 1.72 GB/s    (26.9k)
           |                      |
Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
  ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
Read       | 739.37 MB/s   (1.4k) | 164.63 MB/s    (160)
Write      | 778.65 MB/s   (1.5k) | 175.59 MB/s    (171)
Total      | 1.51 GB/s     (2.9k) | 340.22 MB/s    (331)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed
                |                           |                 |
Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 188 Mbits/sec   | 327 Mbits/sec
Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 5.84 Mbits/sec  | 791 Mbits/sec
Hybula          | The Netherlands (40G)     | 568 Mbits/sec   | 857 Mbits/sec
Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 816 Mbits/sec   | 121 Mbits/sec
Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | busy            | busy
Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 814 Mbits/sec   | 119 Mbits/sec

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):
Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed
                |                           |                 |
Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 396 Mbits/sec   | 308 Mbits/sec
Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 679 Mbits/sec   | 434 Mbits/sec
Hybula          | The Netherlands (40G)     | 916 Mbits/sec   | 893 Mbits/sec
Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 709 Mbits/sec   | 198 Mbits/sec
Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 718 Mbits/sec   | 385 Mbits/sec

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
Test            | Value
                |
Single Core     | 1266
Multi Core      | 7027
Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/15103898

And one last thing, traceroute if someone is interested - seems like my carrier (INEA) has very good connection to Mevspace through POZIX

Tracing route to 185.16.X.X over a maximum of 30 hops

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.88.1 [192.168.88.1]
  2     1 ms     1 ms     1 ms  gpon.net [192.168.1.1]
  3     8 ms     2 ms     3 ms  d162-193.icpnet.pl [109.173.X.X]
  4     1 ms     1 ms     2 ms  192.168.47.193 [192.168.47.193]
  5     3 ms     2 ms     2 ms  e123-77.icpnet.pl [46.238.123.77]
  6     *        *        9 ms  hurricane-gw.pozix.pl [185.1.4.64]
  7     8 ms     8 ms    17 ms  meverywhere-sp-z-o-o.e0-2.switch1.waw1.he.net [216.66.87.22]
  8    10 ms    10 ms    10 ms  r1w.mevspace.com [149.86.227.11]
  9    10 ms    10 ms    10 ms  185.16.X.X

Summarizing - for now, Mevspace has the best Support I have ever experienced. Reponse time is very fast - this is very important for me. The only disadvantage is the issue with RHEL-based OS, but this is not the thing that disqualifies the service (as for me).

Comments

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

Weird about the RHEL issues, but glad to hear that they’re doing good stuff. I remember from the skynode IP spoofing stuff but I think they’ve turned that reputation around

• Were the drives needed in RAID? Try installing with 2nd drive disconnected.

This week I setup a VM for Oracle 6 (older RH) and the techs were adamant about only connecting the 2nd drive after their custom ISO installer finished. The installer script is likely trivially simple with no error checking or handling.

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2022

I spend ~$100/mo with Mevspace and I've also had a decently positive experience with them. Fairly reliable and pricing is very cheap.

Only real negative thing that I experienced was that they weren't really upfront about the drives on their promo server - but they replaced them fairly quickly :) Also, the speeds to Gdrive were also extremely slow but they were able to do a temporary fix.

Thanked by 1Mevspace
  • tmepytmepy Member

Is the website currently not working?

• brejskibrejski Member

@tmepy said:
    Is the website currently not working?

It's up and running.

@TimboJones said:
    Were the drives needed in RAID? Try installing with 2nd drive disconnected.

Unfortunately yes, RAID is obligatory

• brejskibrejski Member

@bruh21 said:
    I remember from the skynode IP spoofing stuff but I think they’ve turned that reputation around

IP they assigned to my server is clean so... Seems like their reputation is very good right now :smiley:

• Their Ryzen 9 5950X dedicated are cheap

Thanked by 1Mevspace
  • brejskibrejski Member

@neverain said:
    Their Ryzen 9 5950X dedicated are cheap

All their Ryzen dedicated are cheap. Time will show if are rock solid

• ralfralf Member

@brejski said:

Were the drives needed in RAID? Try installing with 2nd drive disconnected.

Unfortunately yes, RAID is obligatory

I did a bit of a weird setup on my KS-LE-1 with 2 drives.

I actually set up with LVM on both disks in the same volume group, but with a fairly small root partition that was mirrored across both drives, and then I create a VM for each task I want on it, and that has a LV that's either striped or mirrored beyond on whether it's important data on that VM or not.

I figured this way if one of the drives failed early (they're 4 years and 5 years old), then all the important stuff is mirrored and should still work with only one disk, and the other stuff has a speed increase which is welcome improvement on such crappy drives.

But you could do something like this with one drive and then add in the other drive to the VG once it's all installed.

• I woulda just used ZFS in raid0 from a install iso. use that extra juicy ram for buffer.

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

Hi there @brejski - I am sorry that you were disappointed with our service. We do not guarantee that our images will work on all setups. If you would like one of our teammates to review the support ticket you wrote to us, please send me the support ticket number. --Katie

• brejskibrejski Member

@Hetzner_OL said:
    Hi there @brejski - I am sorry that you were disappointed with our service. We do not guarantee that our images will work on all setups. If you would like one of our teammates to review the support ticket you wrote to us, please send me the support ticket number. --Katie

Hi Katie,
    That was an old case on the setup I stopped using several months ago. But the disgust remained

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

I'm sorry that this experience with us was such a negative one. I hope the future memories you make with us are more happy ones. --Katie

• brejskibrejski Member

@Hetzner_OL said:
    I'm sorry that this experience with us was such a negative one. I hope the future memories you make with us are more happy ones. --Katie

Except this bad experience, I am very satisfied with your service. But i cannot pay such money for IPv4 setup fee... That's why I decided to move to Mevspace

• What about anti ddos?
    Good? I want to host minecraft server or tibia server.

Many companies says they have good anti-ddos but when ddos come then whole server is offline xD

This discussion has been closed.