Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


ikoula limits panel requests on their dedicated servers for total only 15 per month
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

ikoula limits panel requests on their dedicated servers for total only 15 per month

minlearnminlearn Member

they includes reboot/netboot/netdiag/reset requests, totally only 15 are allowed per month

it is sick to know that they include "reboot requests" in the above list
hard reboot is just a basic operation when you server encounter errors/faults
it should be exclude out of the list

Thanked by 1JasonM
«1

Comments

  • emghemgh Member

    lol

    Thanked by 1CheepCluck
  • NeoonNeoon Member, Community Contributor

    What do they charge for an additional reboot? One baguette?

  • emghemgh Member

    @Neoon said:
    What do they charge for an additional reboot?

    Nude bum pic.

  • serv_eeserv_ee Member

    How many times do you need to reboot your server exactly?

    Most of my uptimes are at 200+ days...

    Thanked by 1netomx
  • NeoonNeoon Member, Community Contributor

    @serv_ee said:
    How many times do you need to reboot your server exactly?

    Most of my uptimes are at 200+ days...

    Did you ever troubleshoot issues on your server? Seems to be a no.
    KS-LE has been reinstalled and reconfigured easily 10 times before I put it into prod.

  • serv_eeserv_ee Member

    @Neoon said:

    @serv_ee said:
    How many times do you need to reboot your server exactly?

    Most of my uptimes are at 200+ days...

    Did you ever troubleshoot issues on your server? Seems to be a no.
    KS-LE has been reinstalled and reconfigured easily 10 times before I put it into prod.

    Guess Im using mine for different purposes then. Maybe a few reinstalls at first but that's about it.

    Thanked by 1devp
  • Your reboots have been doubled

    Thanked by 2JasonM gzz
  • mhnmhn Member

    I think we can all agree that we can forgive @Ikoula for this shitty restriction if they do another 50% recurring promotion :)

  • Considering how slow the shite panel is when doing reboots/reinstalls you're probably not worse off with this new rule

    Thanked by 1Shot2
  • @mhn said:
    I think we can all agree that we can forgive @Ikoula for this shitty restriction if they do another 50% recurring promotion :)

    I second that !!!

  • risharderisharde Member

    I pretty much stay away from any provider that charges for reboots. That's overdoing it IMHO.

    Thanked by 3JasonM dedotatedwam gzz
  • @minlearn said:
    they includes reboot/netboot/netdiag/reset requests, totally only 15 are allowed per month

    it is sick to know that they include "reboot requests" in the above list
    hard reboot is just a basic operation when you server encounter errors/faults
    it should be exclude out of the list

    If you're hitting these limits, you might be a bad customer.

  • vpsGODvpsGOD Member, Patron Provider

    Power Reboot cost stress to disk

    if you do reboots, smart log of disk will show its total.
    What happen if a client get the server with the disk after you cancel.
    Sure they come to LET to show the smart result with 1000s of power cycle

  • AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider

    @risharde said:
    I pretty much stay away from any provider that charges for reboots. That's overdoing it IMHO.

    To be fair, if there is no KVM/IPMI they might be charging it since a tech may have to manually do those operations or something.

    Thanked by 2szymonp devp
  • minlearnminlearn Member

    this is the normal loss, the custom paid for it

    @vpsGOD said:
    Power Reboot cost stress to disk

    if you do reboots, smart log of disk will show its total.
    What happen if a client get the server with the disk after you cancel.
    Sure they come to LET to show the smart result with 1000s of power cycle

  • minlearnminlearn Member

    they dont give you any more chance to reboot or do anything else

    the customer need issue a ticket to "beg for extra reboots",and in most cases, customers are refused to be given any more chances till next billing period

    that is why it is sick

    @Neoon said:
    What do they charge for an additional reboot? One baguette?

    Thanked by 1JasonM
  • JasonMJasonM Member

    @minlearn said: the customer need issue a ticket to "beg for extra reboots",and in most cases, customers are refused to be given any more chances till next billing period

    that's terrible. they should have at least charge something beyond 15 free reboots

  • @vpsGOD said: Sure they come to LET to show the smart result with 1000s of power cycle

    I once didn't put RAM in well enough and after a couple of hours running unattended, the system crashed and started doing boot loops trying to restart itself. Power cycled a disk about 600 times in 12 hours before I had caught this.

    Guess what happened?

    Nothing. This is not a metric you should care about unless it's in the hundreds of thousands or something.

  • user54321user54321 Member

    @vpsGOD said:
    Power Reboot cost stress to disk

    if you do reboots, smart log of disk will show its total.
    What happen if a client get the server with the disk after you cancel.
    Sure they come to LET to show the smart result with 1000s of power cycle

    while true; do hdparm -Y /dev/sda; sleep 30; touch /root/fuckit; sleep 30; done

    Thanked by 1vpsGOD
  • vpsGODvpsGOD Member, Patron Provider

    @minlearn user wont pay service to keep down.
    Provider have rights to safeguard their hardware.

    Even you colocate we care on power usage and hardware . None wish to abuse

  • NeoonNeoon Member, Community Contributor

    When I recall it correctly, a reinstall of my Pi4 took easily 2-3 hours sometimes.
    My guess, the imageserver or whatever they use, is/was overloaded.

    It sounds like they don't want to throw money at the problem, rather they just add a simple limit for each server.

  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

    They may as well disable the panel altogether.

    "Your server is working as long as you have SSH."

    "It's your fault that you broke SSH."

    "There's nothing I can do, it's Virtualizor bug!"

    Thanked by 3msallak1 devp Zyra
  • TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited May 24

    @minlearn said:
    they dont give you any more chance to reboot or do anything else

    the customer need issue a ticket to "beg for extra reboots",and in most cases, customers are refused to be given any more chances till next billing period

    that is why it is sick

    @Neoon said:
    What do they charge for an additional reboot? One baguette?

    But what is the use case where this is actually a problem? Seriously, if you need 15 panel actions a month, you're definitely doing something wrong.

    For your physical computer, how often are you physically pressing the "power" and "reset" buttons per month? Now, the server is 24/7 and doesn't sleep or need to be turned off at the end of the day and turned back on in the morning. You turn it on and leave it on.

    The only reason I can think of is that you'd be hard locking up a server this much is if you were testing exploits on it.

    So I ask again, what the fuck are you doing where 15 in a month is a limit you would reach?

  • skorousskorous Member

    @TimboJones said:

    But what is the use case where this is actually a problem? Seriously, if you need 15 panel actions a month, you're definitely doing something wrong.

    He's testing cloning a machine. He's troubleshooting UAE's in Windows. He's building a new kernel module. He's trialing different variants of BSD to see which one he likes. Who cares?

    For your physical computer, how often are you physically pressing the "power" and "reset" buttons per month? Now, the server is 24/7 and doesn't sleep or need to be turned off at the end of the day and turned back on in the morning. You turn it on and leave it on.

    I can understand if you're worried about the power button but the reset button doesn't power down any hardware. Who cares how many times you press it? I press mine randomly on my PC just so it doesn't forget who's in charge.

    Thanked by 1stevewatson301
  • cybertechcybertech Member

    @yoursunny said:
    They may as well disable the panel altogether.

    "Your server is working as long as you have SSH."

    "It's your fault that you broke SSH."

    "There's nothing I can do, it's Virtualizor bug!"

    sounds so boomer-ish.

  • @skorous said:

    @TimboJones said:

    But what is the use case where this is actually a problem? Seriously, if you need 15 panel actions a month, you're definitely doing something wrong.

    He's testing cloning a machine. He's troubleshooting UAE's in Windows. He's building a new kernel module. He's trialing different variants of BSD to see which one he likes. Who cares?

    Nobody offers a blanket "do whatever the fuck you want" service and that's the point of ToS and company policies. IKoula obviously implemented this for a reason. There's several people above who suggest they're resource bottlenecked.

    For your physical computer, how often are you physically pressing the "power" and "reset" buttons per month? Now, the server is 24/7 and doesn't sleep or need to be turned off at the end of the day and turned back on in the morning. You turn it on and leave it on.

    I can understand if you're worried about the power button but the reset button doesn't power down any hardware. Who cares how many times you press it? I press mine randomly on my PC just so it doesn't forget who's in charge.

    It hasn't been established whether this is human labour or not. If it is, 15 is excessive and IKoula doesn't want your business if you require more for whatever silly use case argument.

  • risharderisharde Member

    @TimboJones said:

    @minlearn said:
    they includes reboot/netboot/netdiag/reset requests, totally only 15 are allowed per month

    it is sick to know that they include "reboot requests" in the above list
    hard reboot is just a basic operation when you server encounter errors/faults
    it should be exclude out of the list

    If you're hitting these limits, you might be a bad customer.

    Can you give a scenario where a bad customer would require this? Genuinely interested, a valid one would change my opinion on my previous comment> @TimboJones said:

    @minlearn said:
    they dont give you any more chance to reboot or do anything else

    the customer need issue a ticket to "beg for extra reboots",and in most cases, customers are refused to be given any more chances till next billing period

    that is why it is sick

    @Neoon said:
    What do they charge for an additional reboot? One baguette?

    But what is the use case where this is actually a problem? Seriously, if you need 15 panel actions a month, you're definitely doing something wrong.

    For your physical computer, how often are you physically pressing the "power" and "reset" buttons per month? Now, the server is 24/7 and doesn't sleep or need to be turned off at the end of the day and turned back on in the morning. You turn it on and leave it on.

    The only reason I can think of is that you'd be hard locking up a server this much is if you were testing exploits on it.

    So I ask again, what the fuck are you doing where 15 in a month is a limit you would reach?

    Development testing where you wipe the machine to test a different os for your app etc. Not saying there aren't others ways to probably get around this but I suppose it all depends on other factors like if one is able to run nested virtualization etc.

    And of course this probably is not the usage for the majority of users but something I could see myself doing at some points.

  • kevertjekevertje Member

    15 reboots is about half the days in a lunar cycle. What the fuck do you need more reboots for with a dedicated machine? Use a virtual machine bruh. With raspberries I can imagine the SDcards wear with reinstalls and hard reboots for HDD, fans gives nice peak power consumption.

    I bet @dane_doherty abused the fuck out of it and caused a mass grave of raspberries and smoking PDUs.

  • szymonpszymonp Member

    @kevertje said:
    15 reboots is about half the days in a lunar cycle. What the fuck do you need more reboots for with a dedicated machine? Use a virtual machine bruh. With raspberries I can imagine the SDcards wear with reinstalls and hard reboots for HDD, fans gives nice peak power consumption.

    I bet @dane_doherty abused the fuck out of it and caused a mass grave of raspberries and smoking PDUs.

    They use 16GB sdcards worth like 3$ each

  • zedzed Member

    15 reboots does sound silly under normal circumstances, but lol manual reboots.

    Thanked by 1skorous
Sign In or Register to comment.