Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you upgrade to 10Gbps VPS? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Would you upgrade to 10Gbps VPS?

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@ralf said:

@yoursunny said:

Push-up stream 1080p is 5MB/s per viewer.

I checked again and found that I misread the unit.
    It's 5.2 Mbps, not 5MB/s.

Does the bit-rate increase as you do more pushups per minute?

It's encoded as constant bit rate.
    Variable bit rate would mess up congestion control (it's still CUBIC).
    https://github.com/yoursunny/NDNts-video-server/blob/3344e5add29fc3f650655f98cf448d13660abd4b/encode.sh#L25-L31

@AndrewSSD said:
    1Gbps is enough for any server usage

My app can send at 130 Gbps across two ports.
    I just put in a request for ConnectX-6 200 Gbps cards - supplier says lead time is 20~24 weeks orz.

• ralfralf Member

Will it be like going from 9600 to 56k? Oh what a time to be alive that was.

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited May 2022

Yes, but I would say 2Gbps like OVH Elite or netcup RS is maximum useful for VPS.
    10Gbps is a lot, you need really powerful CPU to handle such bandwidth with TLS / backend services / media transcoding... Not only that, SATA SSDs are 6Gbps max! And thats only sequential speeds too.

Some time ago I saw guy with like E5 1650 V2 dedi and 10Gbps port. This CPU was too slow even after caching whole site with nginx.

Netflix uses EPYC CPUs for stream servers, older Xeon chips werent powerful enough. They are only sending raw data, no transcoding, no PHP etc.

With VPS CPU power is limited and in most cases not dedicated (FUP) so yea... 10Gbps is overkill in VPS, but 2Gbps could be nice!

Thanked by 1_MS_

@AXYZE said:
    With VPS CPU power is limited and in most cases not dedicated (FUP) so yea... 10Gbps is overkill in VPS, but 2Gbps could be nice!

Data Ideas LLC has dedicated cores on bigger plans.
    Hammer the cores and blast the ports!

• rcxbrcxb Member

@yoursunny said: It's encoded as constant bit rate.

40Mbps is still crazy high for 1080 video.

Netflix recommends a 5 Mbps connection for their 1080 videos, and 15 Mbps for 4K.[1] Your videos shouldn't take up 8X the bandwidth of Netflix's.

[1] https://help.netflix.com/en/node/306

Even if you went over 1Gbps, why not just get a second 1Gbps VPS and round-robin the DNS to serve up twice as many viewers? Sure to be cheaper than a 10Gbps port.

@rcxb said:

It's 5.2 Mbps.

Netflix recommends a 5 Mbps connection for their 1080 videos, and 15 Mbps for 4K.[1] Your videos shouldn't take up 8X the bandwidth of Netflix's.

Even if you went over 1Gbps, why not just get a second 1Gbps VPS and round-robin the DNS to serve up twice as many viewers? Sure to be cheaper than a 10Gbps port.

I have many servers around the world, but not enough viewers.
    Hence, I don't need to worry about switching servers anytime soon.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Otus9051 said:

@LiliLabs said:

@szymonp said:
    What country us that even in I'm from Poland which is clearly in europe but I never heard of init7

They're a Swiss ISP with a pretty small service area, but they offer up to 25G FTTH.

https://michael.stapelberg.ch/posts/2022-04-23-fiber7-25gbit-upgrade/

Superb blog. Definitely going to follow him.

Damn 25Gbit/s is crazy!

@yoursunny said:

@rcxb said:

It's 5.2 Mbps.

Who are your providers in Portugal?

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Practically speaking, what can you actually do with most vps products (excluding super high end spec stuff) with a 10 gbit port? I'd say not enough processing juice to really put a port like that to use... In the real world.

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@bruh21 said:
    For my uses, 100mbps is fine as long as I don't need to restore any backups first, in which case 1gbps is usually good too.

Also, is path.net ready yet?

Working on it captain. Ran into some routing issues. Trying to iron out.

@jbiloh said:
    Practically speaking, what can you actually do with most vps products (excluding super high end spec stuff) with a 10 gbit port? I'd say not enough processing juice to really put a port like that to use... In the real world.

My thinking is to allow those that want to have a bigger burst port. Not to blast 10G port at full tilt.

• rcxbrcxb Member

@yoursunny said:
    It's 5.2 Mbps.

Okay, 5Mb not the 5MB you originally said. That also means a 1Gbps port should be able to serve up 190 simultaneous viewers, not just 25.

Thanked by 1yoursunny

@MikePT said:

@yoursunny said:

These three nodes in Portugal are part of global NDN testbed.
    They are located in the offices or campus data centers of:

• University oh Minho
    • University Aveiro
    • COPELABS, University Lusofona

Since push-ups delivery network is interconnected with global NDN testbed, the webapp can connect to nodes on either network.

Thanked by 1MikePT

@yoursunny said:

@MikePT said:

@yoursunny said:

These three nodes in Portugal are part of global NDN testbed.
    They are located in the offices or campus data centers of:

• University oh Minho
    • University Aveiro
    • COPELABS, University Lusofona

Since push-ups delivery network is interconnected with global NDN testbed, the webapp can connect to nodes on either network.

Ahhh nice, in universities. Cool!

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Hell, I have a 10 Gb/s LAN and hardly ever use even half the speed. Sure, with (some) modern crypto algos, PRNGS, etc. one can easily fill the line, even with just a single (modern ) core but then those algos are but a (usually small) part of network services/applications.
    And indeed my (relatively extensive) experience shows/suggests that for 90+% (probably even 95+%) of sites 100 or 200 Mb/s is plenty sufficient.
    Btw and FWIW, my internet connection is 50 or 100 Mb/s (I forgot because it's just not important to me) and I wouldn't pay even 10 cents more to get say 500 Mb/s.

So, clearly my answer to OP is a solid "thanks but thanks, No".

• its probably only useful if you live next to it, else 1gbps should suffice.

@cybertech said:
    its probably only useful if you live next to it, else 1gbps should suffice.

I've noticed that a lot of people are talking about traffic to their homes.
    What about traffic to the world?

Thanked by 2yoursunny LordSpock
  • @DataIdeas-Josh said:

@cybertech said:

where to though, someone else's home?

• @jsg said:
    So, clearly my answer to OP is a solid "thanks but thanks, No".

FYI. "Thanks, but no thanks".

• @DataIdeas-Josh said:

@cybertech said:

That's more suited to storage servers where it's sending large files without taxing the CPU. Having tons of small VPS with smaller files would saturate the CPU before getting the full 10Gbps.

But if you have 10Gbps private LAN between VPS in your datacenter, you'll encourage more buying.

• sotssots Member

@DataIdeas-Josh said:

@cybertech said:

If I have a pt account, I'll need huge outbound bandwidth. But usually we seldom upload big files so it's not necessary to pay more for 10G WAN.

• @rcxb said: Okay, 5Mb not the 5MB you originally said. That also means a 1Gbps port should be able to serve up 190 simultaneous viewers, not just 25.

Much more at the same time. I talk about thousands, if not dozens of thousands of people on 1Gbps link. I've seen a lot of websites (big ones) that uses the same methods silently in background.

http://novage.com.ua/p2p-media-loader/overview.html

And things like that. There are many of them.

In short: do you remember torrenting?
    This shit the same. While 20 - 50 people watch the movie at the same time on website, all of them inter-connect to each other and download from themselves missing parts of the video. I.E. - more people - higher speeds.

Thanked by 1yoursunny

Shockingly the voting out of 112 votes. Its "mostly" split down the middle.
    Although only one person has commented on how much they would pay for an "upgrade".

• db385db385 Member

I would expect a gradual increase of VPS'es from 1 gigabit to 2,5 gigabit > 5 gigabit > 10 gigabit, over a 10 gigabit interface.

Not willing to pay anything extra for it, since I would only use it to burst if needed anyways, and most VPS'es are having difficulty reaching 1 gigabit stable anyways.

@db385 said:
    I would expect a gradual increase of VPS'es from 1 gigabit to 2,5 gigabit > 5 gigabit > 10 gigabit, over a 10 gigabit interface.

Not willing to pay anything extra for it, since I would only use it to burst if needed anyways, and most VPS'es are having difficulty reaching 1 gigabit stable anyways.

That is mostly due to sellers are overselling their bandwidth and/or overloaded nodes.
    Being our "head end" is an ISP (TXNet) we are doing okay in that department.

I'm not saying that you would have a full 10Gbps but you would have the ability to burst over a 1Gbps link. (Current VPSs are capped to 1Gbps) Basically I would raise that cap.

Thanked by 1db385
  • maylimayli Member

@AXYZE said:
    Yes, but I would say 2Gbps like OVH Elite or netcup RS is maximum useful for VPS.
    10Gbps is a lot, you need really powerful CPU to handle such bandwidth with TLS / backend services / media transcoding... Not only that, SATA SSDs are 6Gbps max! And thats only sequential speeds too.

Some time ago I saw guy with like E5 1650 V2 dedi and 10Gbps port. This CPU was too slow even after caching whole site with nginx.

Netflix uses EPYC CPUs for stream servers, older Xeon chips werent powerful enough. They are only sending raw data, no transcoding, no PHP etc.

I'd rather get 10Gbps VPS, even the cheapest vps plan from Hetzner has 10G and it can fully be utilized with proper software.

• szarkaszarka Member

Why pay more to "upgrade" to 10 Gbps ports when they come standard with SSD Nodes?

• @szarka said:
    Why pay more to "upgrade" to 10 Gbps ports when they come standard with SSD Nodes?

What a dumb, shill response.

• szarkaszarka Member

@TimboJones said:

@szarka said:

What a dumb, shill response.

I mean, it's trivial to figure out that I don't work for SSD Nodes… "TimboJones", whoever you are…

So, what a dumb reply to my response.

• Got to one up SSD Nodes and offer free 400Gbit ports to each VPS at the $2/mo bracket

• sotssots Member

@CheepCluck said:
    Got to one up SSD Nodes and offer free 400Gbit ports to each VPS at the $2/mo bracket

With 400G port you can even host an IX B)