Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there any pay as you vps with suspend option?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is there any pay as you vps with suspend option?

TalTal Member

Is here any providers with per hour billing and with option to suspend vps to stop billing and pay only for space used for keeping hibernated machine? Thanks!

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@lentro is your boy.
    When you suspend, you only pay for storage, and they use the CPU and GPU for mining.
    https://console.tensordock.com/deploy

Thanked by 2lentro Erisa
  • @Tal said:
    Is here any providers with per hour billing and with option to suspend vps to stop billing and pay only for space used for keeping hibernated machine? Thanks!

For what app do you want to hibernate a VPS?

• lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

@yoursunny said: @lentro is your boy.

Thanks for the mention!

@Tal -- we have both hourly CPU and GPU servers. Our pricing isn't LET-level but is reasonable. You'll find us cheaper than companies like Linode.

You'll only be billed for storage when the server is off. That can be as low as $0.0012/hour ($0.876 per month) for a 20 GB hard drive virtual machine that is off for the entire month.

@farsighter said: hibernate a VPS

Streaming, transcoding, machine learning, etc. Unless you're running a website or logging system, you probably don't need to have something always be running.

Perhaps, you want to download pushup videos from @yoursunny every day. Then, you can have a virtual machine spin up for 5 minutes each day to check if there are new uploads :)

Thanked by 2yoursunny Logano
  • @lentro said:

Streaming, transcoding, machine learning, etc. Unless you're running a website or logging system, you probably don't need to have something always be running.

I thought by hibernation he meant checkpointing, not just a snapshot.

• jmgcaguiclajmgcaguicla Member
    edited May 2022

@farsighter said:

I thought by hibernation he meant checkpointing, not just a snapshot.

You're thinking about this too much, this is simply the ability to temporarily turn off the VM while keeping the disk/IP intact so you can instantly start it at a later time and pay only for the storage instead of the entire cost ala the big boy clouds.

Thanked by 1lentro
  • farsighterfarsighter Member
    edited May 2022

@jmgcaguicla said:

You're thinking about this too much, this is simply the ability to temporarily turn off the VM while keeping the disk/IP intact.

I did that many times lol.

Anyway it would actually be cool if we could checkpoint a VPS. Unfortunately the tools available nowadays are often not reliable. I tried that with LXC criu but it rarely worked with my setup.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

Can't vouch for them but scaleway has hourly rates and so I guess this meets your requirements?

• corbpiecorbpie Member

Just use a normal pay to go like Vultr and use snapshots + reserve IP

• sanvitsanvit Member

@lentro said: Then, you can have a virtual machine spin up for 5 minutes each day to check if there are new uploads

Is there a cronjob-style boot-up option available, or will this have to be done manually? Sounds like it could be useful in some cases ;)

• lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

@sanvit said:

@lentro said: Then, you can have a virtual machine spin up for 5 minutes each day to check if there are new uploads

Is there a cronjob-style boot-up option available, or will this have to be done manually? Sounds like it could be useful in some cases ;)

Yeah, come to think of it, that’d be a good feature to add…

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • Not that i know of most providers just do monthly/yearly subscriptions.

• bdlbdl Member

+1 lunanode

• alentoalento Member, Host Rep

+2 lunanode