Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Hourly Billed VPS for Webinars and stuff
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best Hourly Billed VPS for Webinars and stuff

So my dad's organization will be conducting some webinars soon and we need an hourly billed VPS. Here are the requirements:

8C16T+ CPU (Ryzen Preferred)
16GB+ RAM
600GB+ SSD (OS + Webinar Recording)
A shitload of bandwidth

<$1/hour pricing

A lot of people will be joining so I need maximum stability, VPS should NOT just crash / get rate-limited mid-session.

Comments

• dosaidosai Member

What software is he using to host a webinar?

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member

You don't want to host your own webinars. Just use Zoom or Gotowebinar.

• Otus9051Otus9051 Member
    edited May 2022

@SirFoxy said: Just use Zoom or Gotowebinar.

300-400 people.

• @dosai said:

BigBlueButton or Jitsi Meet. Haven't quite decided yet but these are the choices for now.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • Can you gimme a YABS of that? Also is there an upper limit for data transfer?

• @SirFoxy said: Just use Zoom or Gotowebinar

Zoom needs an Enterprise license.
    GoToWebinar is $99/org/mo

Better to pay $3-4 and get some manual labor than pay for that. Not like we are having webinars everyday.

• The effort required to setup such a system is worth many times more than $3-$4 if are looking to hire someone that is.

At such scale you are better off using an existing product that is known to work than rolling out your own specially if you have no previous experience. The licence is totally worth it. Otherwise at the end you will be spending more on setting up and debugging issues than using an existing product.

Thanked by 3devp bulbasaur taizi
  • @Otus9051 said:

Can you gimme a YABS of that? Also is there an upper limit for data transfer?

I don't have an active server at the moment, so it is better to rent it for 1 hour and do all tests.

For data transfer limits it is better to send them a ticket so they can confirm.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Webinar?
    Stream it on YouTube Live.

Anyone wants to see live push-ups?

Thanked by 1devp
  • lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

Spin up a CPU-only server with a 10 gbps port and hourly billing on TensorDock:
    https://console.tensordock.com/deploy_cpu

Unfortunately, the web UI only lets you deploy up to 16GB RAM/4 thread servers, but you can use our API to deploy servers up to 60 vCPUs and 240 GB RAM.

(You can also email me at jonathan[at]tensordock.com if you don't want to use the API)

For AMD EPYC Rome with 16 vCPU, 64 GB RAM, 600 GB NVMe storage:
    $0.032 per vCPU * 16 vCPU + $0.06 for 600 GB NVMe storage = $0.572/hour when running
    $0.06 for 600 GB NVMe storage = $0.06/hour when stopped

If you want to save on data storage pricing, you can deploy an HDD server for webinar storage and mount it via the network. HDD storage costs $0.00006/GB/hour.

Regarding bandwidth, I think you'll be fine but we'll reach out if it becomes an issue. Chicago has a 100 gbit blend so I don't think you'll be causing any issues :joy:.

• @rattlecattle said: The effort required to setup such a system is worth many times more than $3-$4 if are looking to hire someone that is.

I do have the expertise to set it up effortlessly, so you don't have to worry abt that.

Thanked by 1devp
  • devpdevp Member

@Otus9051 said:

@dosai said:

BigBlueButton or Jitsi Meet. Haven't quite decided yet but these are the choices for now.

These are resource intensive.
    Load test before going live on webinar.

• dosaidosai Member

@Otus9051 said:

@rattlecattle said: The effort required to setup such a system is worth many times more than $3-$4 if are looking to hire someone that is.

I do have the expertise to set it up effortlessly, so you don't have to worry abt that.

Can I also join the webinar?

• devpdevp Member

@dosai said:

@Otus9051 said:

@rattlecattle said: The effort required to setup such a system is worth many times more than $3-$4 if are looking to hire someone that is.

Can I also join the webinar?

Providing you have booked a Premium Seat in Advance.

Thanked by 1dosai
  • VoidVoid Member

Isn’t that why we have MS Teams if it is work related ?

• sibapersibaper Member

@jmaxwell said: Isn’t that why we have MS Teams if it is work related ?

It's really buggy, my experience so far worse than Skype. It can't handle 100 people meeting smoothly, let alone for 300-400

/end-of-rant

• VoidVoid Member

@sibaper said:

@jmaxwell said: Isn’t that why we have MS Teams if it is work related ?

It's really buggy, my experience so far worse than Skype. It can't handle 100 people meeting smoothly, let alone for 300-400

/end-of-rant

I’ve seen it handling 500+ users smoothly at work for the various webinars and stuff they organize regularly. Might be a corporate plan

• @dosai said: Can I also join the webinar?

Only if you understand bengali.

• dosaidosai Member

@Otus9051 said:

@dosai said: Can I also join the webinar?

I'm in, can you pm the details.

• @dosai said:

@Otus9051 said:

Its gonna be in a month or 2, so hold your horses.
    It may even not be organized depending on the host organizers bloated head they might decide to overload Google Meet or not even host it at all.

P.S. My dad is not the organizer but referred me to them. If we do decide to work in partnership, i.e. Dad's org and the Host org, then we will host it. Otherwise I have no clue and dad has been very, very vague about it.

• dosaidosai Member

@Otus9051 said:

@dosai said:

@Otus9051 said:

It may even not be organized depending on the host organizers bloated head they might decide to overload Google Meet or not even host it at all.

P.S. My dad is not the organizer but referred me to them. If we do decide to work in partnership, i.e. Dad's org and the Host org, then we will host it. Otherwise I have no clue and dad has been very, very vague about it.

Whatever man, I would like to join if it is open.

• @dosai said:

@Otus9051 said:

@dosai said:

@Otus9051 said:

Whatever man, I would like to join if it is open.

Aight