Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SYS-2 16TB vs Hetzner box
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SYS-2 16TB vs Hetzner box

AstroAstro Member
edited May 2022 in General

Would you guys keep a SYS2 with 16TB disks(pretty much all 4 new disks) with 250 mbps up and 10 gig down or a hetzner dedi with i7 8TB disks(4x2 42k hrs each disk) with a gig up and down?

Comments

• brejskibrejski Member

I'd keep Hetzner.

• AstroAstro Member

@brejski said:
    I'd keep Hetzner.

Any reason?

• I'm very happy with my SYS2 16TB though the HDDs are 50K plus hours. The 250up/10G down network performance is fine and 16x IPs are a bonus. It took me a few months to finally get one so not letting it go... you cant have regrets if you do let it free as you will need to invest some serious time trying to order again.

• I thought you sold this sys2 machine? Id still be interested in it if you can transfer somehow

• dosaidosai Member

Post yabs of both.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

My dear friend, if price is not a concern, then Hetzner should be your considered choice. If price does factor into the equation, please consider the appalling support one might receive from OVH and the time that could be wasted with the considerably more limited bandwidth.

Thanked by 1ariq01
  • AstroAstro Member

@Nekki said:
    My dear friend, if price is not a concern, then Hetzner should be your considered choice. If price does factor into the equation, please consider the appalling support one might receive from OVH and the time that could be wasted with the considerably more limited bandwidth.

Dear Lord Nekki,
    The price for both servers I mentioned is the same. It’s just that with OVH I have newer disks and 16TB and with hetzner I have old 8TB disks but with gig up and down.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited May 2022

@Astro said: Dear Lord Nekki,
    The price for both servers I mentioned is the same. It’s just that with OVH I have newer disks and 16TB and with hetzner I have old 8TB disks but with gig up and down.

One must consider carefully the conundrum of the new disk; for it may not have had the opportunity to reveal it's imperfections, a scenario that could prove most vexing.

I am perplexed however - how have you managed to obtain such a server from Hetzner at such a generous price?

• OVH because they have better peering. My kimsufi server in CA is 100mbps up but it gives consistent performance when data is pulled from California or Netherlands. Hetzner is good only if your use is mainly in EU, otherwise traffic turns to congested crap depending on the time of day. For trans-atlantic, Worldstream and even Mevspace is much better.

• drizbodrizbo Member

So we are supposed to decide for you if you want 16tb disk or 8tb?

• ErisaErisa Member

It depends on you. Do you need more upload speed or more download speed? Do you need 8tb or 16tb? Is redundancy a factor?

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran
    edited May 2022
    • Keep OVH if you are happy with 250mbps up, you have better disks, more IPs.
    • If you absolutely need 1G up, then Hetzner, if you compare to OVH, very costly IPv4, lesser disk space.
    • Old disk or new disks are not issue as you are renting server, if they fail will get replaced. Or unless performance is degraded of olds disks.

Decided now ?