Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Getting MAC address off a dead motherboard?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Getting MAC address off a dead motherboard?

So I joined the #lowendtalk IRC channel, @tinyweasel chatted me up and made me do something stupid which I shouldn't have done. Anyways, so now my motherboard is involucrated. Bought a new one but discovered a problem - I've set up router config so the admin panel cannot be accessed by computers outside of the MAC address whitelist. Any tips on how to recover the MAC address of the motherboard's NIC, so I can spoof it on the new one? I don't want to factory reset the router because it'd be a hassle to recreate the config and I can't afford another downtime.

What I have:

• dead motherboard - some stickers on it but nothing that would indicate MAC address
  • disk image of Ubuntu that was running on that motherboard. Perhaps the MAC is stored somewhere in the logs or configuration files?

Comments

• fynixfynix Member

@dane_doherty said: So I joined the #lowendtalk IRC channel, @tinyweasel chatted me up

You chatted with your alternate identity? qgreen and ksmith were your last clients which got K-Lined by the netops.

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

Do you still have your installer logs in /var/log/installer?

You might be able to find your MAC address in the subiquity or curtin logs.

Thanked by 1dane_doherty
  • @dane_doherty said: my motherboard is involucrated

How does one involucrate their motherboard by "doing something stupid"? Tinyweasel asked you to piss on it or something?

@dane_doherty said: I can't afford another downtime.

fwiw you're already having one.

• ralfralf Member

@stevewatson301 said:
    How does one involucrate their motherboard by "doing something stupid"?

I once accidentally rollerbladed over the motherboard for the machine that was our home router.

It was a very bare bones system, just a motherboard with NIC, floppy drive and power supply screwed on to a square piece of wood that served as our router that would dial up the modem on demand and share the connection. For some reason, I'd moved it to my (downstairs) bedroom floor so I could update something on the config, and then decided it was the perfect time to do a bit of skating... For some reason I put my skates on in the house and on the way out of the room managed to skate over the motherboard, breaking some of the RAM sockets.

Thanked by 1devp
  • turdskiturdski Member

@stevewatson301 said:

@dane_doherty said: my motherboard is involucrated

How does one involucrate their motherboard by "doing something stupid"? Tinyweasel asked you to piss on it or something?

Life hack.

Thanked by 1devp
  • @LordSpock said:
    Do you still have your installer logs in /var/log/installer?

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. Indeed, MAC address is present in /var/log/installer/syslog.

@stevewatson301 said: Tinyweasel asked you to piss on it or something?

???????????????/
    How the f*ck did you know that?

• turdskiturdski Member
    edited May 2022

Find a cheap network card with the same chipset and replace the Lan chip with the one from your freshly "washed" motherboard.