Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Backup Emails and restore (Gmail to another provider)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Backup Emails and restore (Gmail to another provider)

HaroldMHaroldM Member

So as you all know gmail is going to discontinue the legacy accounts and I need to find a way to transfer my emails to a new provider including the previous emails that I already have in the gmail inbox.

How can I backup all the email I have in my gmail inbox and then restore it somewhere else ?

Comments

• HaroldMHaroldM Member

this is good actually, let me wait for other options cuz I prefer something self hosted or opensource utility.

• emghemgh Member

https://epostflytt.se/

Use Google Translate

Owned & maintained by Oderland

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@HaroldM said:

this is good actually, let me wait for other options cuz I prefer something self hosted or opensource utility.

Imapsync is/can be both, self-hosted and open source and worked fine for me for migrating from GMail to some other provider.

• DecicusDecicus Member

+1 for imapsync

@HaroldM said:

There are installation instructions so you can compile it yourself (or just use the Docker image): https://imapsync.lamiral.info/#install
    No need to rely on the online service.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

Another possibility is https://omm.ovh.net/ , but the choice of destination accounts is limited (but a standard IMAP account works)

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Normally the migration tool are available like office 365 offer and any other providers, if not alway option to download email from Google IMAP server is available .

• If you want a local copy, setup GMail as POP in Thunderbird and it will download everything. You can decide when to upload once you have a solution. I am on the same boat and this thread gives me some ideas.

• @HaroldM said:

imapsync is that. I didn't even know there was now a hosted option! I've used it a couple of times in the past, running locally (or local to one of the IMAP services) to migrate whole accounts or individual folders from one mail server to another.

It doesn't quite match your request (there is no separate backup and restore processes, so you don't have a backup that you can restore again without reference to the original source) but it does what I'm thinking you are wanting to achieve.

• I already downloaded my gmail to my outlook and planed to change the mx to ordinary hosting server...
    But i do hope google cancel their plan to discontinue the free legacy :(

• HaroldMHaroldM Member

guys google announced they continue the service for personal use with custom domain. Hope this will be good news for everyone.