Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

can i use my own IP for VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

can i use my own IP for VPS

frakassfrakass Member

my home ISP give me 2 available IPs, but I use only one. can I bind the second IP to a remote VPS?

Comments

• Peppery9Peppery9 Member
    edited May 2022

Not directly. You'd need to set up a tunnel to route the traffic from your home to your VPS.

Most people usually want to do this the other way around

• KousakaKousaka Member

Yes it's possible, but why don't you get a raspi at home?

• As it's a single IP address, BGP is out of the question. You'll want to look into setting up a GRE tunnel, however this would mean all traffic routed to your remote VPS via the second IPv4 would tunnel through your home internet connection. I don't necessarily see why you would want to do this, but it's possible. maybe elaborate on what your intentions are, then we can assist further?

• frakassfrakass Member

@dbContext said:
    As it's a single IP address, BGP is out of the question. You'll want to look into setting up a GRE tunnel, however this would mean all traffic routed to your remote VPS via the second IPv4 would tunnel through your home internet connection. I don't necessarily see why you would want to do this, but it's possible. maybe elaborate on what your intentions are, then we can assist further?

I don’t know GRE stuff
    What I think is to buy a IPv6 VPS and use my own IPv4 for saving cost. Is this possible?

• Otus9051Otus9051 Member
    edited May 2022

@frakass said:

@dbContext said:
    As it's a single IP address, BGP is out of the question. You'll want to look into setting up a GRE tunnel, however this would mean all traffic routed to your remote VPS via the second IPv4 would tunnel through your home internet connection. I don't necessarily see why you would want to do this, but it's possible. maybe elaborate on what your intentions are, then we can assist further?

I don’t know GRE stuff
    What I think is to buy a IPv6 VPS and use my own IPv4 for saving cost. Is this possible?

You would still need the IPv4 for connecting right? Also which dumbfuck charges for IPv4 what the heck is your provider?

• PixelsPixels Member

@Otus9051 said:

@frakass said:

@dbContext said:

I don’t know GRE stuff

You would still need the IPv4 for connecting right? Also which dumbfuck charges for IPv4 what the heck is your provider?

Hetzner does charge for IPv4, afaik

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@frakass said:

This article covers outbound IPv4 connections from IPv6-only server:
    Enable IPv4 Access in EUserv IPv6-only VS2-free

The IPv6-only server would be behind NAT.
    Inbound IPv4 connections can be realized through port forwarding.

It's possible to bind the IPv4 address to the tunneled interface as if it's on the remote server directly, so that all ports and all protocols (including GRE and SIT) may be used.
    However, this is more complicated to setup.

Thanked by 2Void Xrmaddness
  • @Pixels said:

@Otus9051 said:

@frakass said:

@dbContext said:

I don’t know GRE stuff

huh why

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@frakass said:

@dbContext said:

I don’t know GRE stuff

It sounds like you don't have the technical prerequisites anyway, but how much money do you imagine that you would save?

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran
    edited May 2022

@angstrom said:
    It sounds like you don't have the technical prerequisites anyway, but how much money do you imagine that you would save?

USD 3.13 pm if he were to buy IP from Hetzner.

@Saahib said:

@angstrom said:

USD 3.13 pm if he were to buy IP from Hetzner.

But the OP speaks of a VPS: doesn't Hetzner give an IPv4 with a VPS?

• ralfralf Member

@angstrom said:

Not for free

@ralf said:

@angstrom said:

Not for free

Nothing is for free, but can one order a VPS at Hetzner without an IPv4 and pay less?

• frakassfrakass Member

besides the cost, I could switch among different providers with the same IP. Just as a domain name can switch among many different IPs. that's my original thought, I don't know if the tech behind is possible. thanks for all comments.

• ralfralf Member

@angstrom said:

@ralf said:

@angstrom said:

Not for free

Nothing is for free, but can one order a VPS at Hetzner without an IPv4 and pay less?

Hetzner provides free IPv6, but if you want IPv4, you have to pay extra for it.
    So, it's not really that you pay less without IPv4, it's just that you don't pay extra.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited May 2022

@frakass What is the upload (not download) speed of your home connection? Even if you did tunnel this second IP to a VPS you would be limited to this upload speed. Which would probably be your bottleneck.

To answer your question, yes you could do this, but it would be more cost effective to get a RPI as @Kousaka said, or other computer to run as a server at home and route the second IP to it, then to tunnel to a VPS.

If you still wish to tunnel you may want to take a look at tinc, or openVPN to use as an alternative to a GRE tunnel. As these are encrypted tunnels and have other features that a GRE tunnel will not have.

• frakassfrakass Member

@FrankZ said: @frakass What is the upload (not download) speed of your home connection? Even if you did tunnel this second IP to a VPS you would be limited to this upload speed. Which would probably be your bottleneck.

the uploading speed is 30 mbps, the download speed is 200 mbps.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited May 2022

@frakass said: the uploading speed is 30 mbps, the download speed is 200 mbps.

Then 30 mb/s would be the max speed of your tunnel .

@frakass said: besides the cost, I could switch among different providers with the same IP. Just as a domain name can switch among many different IPs. that's my original thought, I don't know if the tech behind is possible. thanks for all comments.

Second question is does your home router have this capability to forward to an IP not on your local LAN? Other wise you will need an RPI or something to setup the tunnel on.

• CalypsoCalypso Member

@FrankZ said:
    @frakass What is the upload (not download) speed of your home connection? Even if you did tunnel this second IP to a VPS you would be limited to this upload speed. Which would probably be your bottleneck.

To answer your question, yes you could do this, but it would be more cost effective to get a RPI as @Kousaka said, or other computer to run as a server at home and route the second IP to it, then to tunnel to a VPS.

If you still wish to tunnel you may want to take a look at tinc, or openVPN to use as an alternative to a GRE tunnel. As these are encrypted tunnels and have other features that a GRE tunnel will not have.

Don't forget you're introducing more steps into the connecting chain (so more chances on failure) and increased latency.

Especially with a asynchronous up/downspeed, I suspect OP is using DSL or cable as home connection. So you're looking at quite some latency added.

Personally, I wouldn't go through the hassle, unless I'd have prove that most of my connections would come from IPv6 and would go to the VPS directly.

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited May 2022

@Calypso said:

@FrankZ said:

Don't forget you're introducing more steps into the connecting chain (so more chances on failure) and increased latency.

Especially with a asynchronous up/downspeed, I suspect OP is using DSL or cable as home connection. So you're looking at quite some latency added.

Personally, I wouldn't go through the hassle, unless I'd have prove that most of my connections would come from IPv6 and would go to the VPS directly.

I agree with what you said above and personally I would not do this ether. I would just set up a home server on the second IP and keep failover copies of my VPSes and some backups on it.

EDIT: But my ISP does not allow any web severs or mail servers to be run on residential services, so I could not do anything with the second IP. :(

• szymonpszymonp Member

@Otus9051 said:

@frakass said:

@dbContext said:

I don’t know GRE stuff

Ipv4 is inclouded in price ipv6-only is cheap af

@ralf said:

@angstrom said:

@ralf said:

@angstrom said:

Not for free

Hetzner provides free IPv6, but if you want IPv4, you have to pay extra for it.
    So, it's not really that you pay less without IPv4, it's just that you don't pay extra.

(I give up :) )

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • reliablevps_usreliablevps_us Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2022

Tunneling is a workaround and is totally dependable on your home upstream.
    You can't use Your public v4 IP unless its announced on their network via BGP.
    To move it you have to have ownership of the IP and provide an LOA.

• What kind of residental ISP gives out two IPv4 addresses? In some places you don't even get one.

• ralfralf Member

Is this when we find out his second IP address is 127.0.0.1?

• debaserdebaser Member

@ralf said:

192.168.0.1 or 10.0.0.1 probably

Thanked by 1szymonp
  • CalypsoCalypso Member

@debaser said:

@ralf said:

192.168.0.1 or 10.0.0.1 probably

Nah. Could be 255.255.255.0 though.

• typicalGtaTGtypicalGtaTG Member, Host Rep

@Otus9051 said:

@Pixels said:

@Otus9051 said:

@frakass said:

@dbContext said:

I don’t know GRE stuff

huh why

wouldn't blame them, IPv4 prices are through the roof.

• lebuserlebuser Member
    edited May 2022

@dane_doherty said:
    What kind of residental ISP gives out two IPv4 addresses? In some places you don't even get one.

I get five dynamic IPv4 addresses in Sweden. But Sweden has an unusually large amount of IPv4 addresses for its population RIPE NCC wrote in a report from last week. The downside is that's likely holding back IPv6 deployment. Though I'm pretty happy with Hurricane Electric, and at least my mobile phone has got native IPv6.

"A Special RIPE NCC Country Report: IPv6 in Sweden"

https://labs.ripe.net/author/suzanne_taylor_muzzin/a-special-ripe-ncc-country-report-ipv6-in-sweden/