Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Realtime Email Verification
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Realtime Email Verification

darbdarb Member

Any suggestions for realtime email verification via api with pay as you go pricing and ideally a free level?

Thanked by 1Logano

Comments

• https://emailable.com/api/ ?

Comes with 250 credits free initially if you do a pay-as-you-go.

Thanked by 1Logano
  • darbdarb Member

Thanks, that may work; too many results from google.

• Haha no worries. I also just googled it and found the first one.

I hope others can give you more options so your choices are diverse.

• afnafn Member
    edited May 2022

Any reason you don't want to simply create a token send a verification email with the token to whatever email they put and if you don't click the link within 48 hours, inactive account is auto-deleted?

Those API are 80% of the time pure trash that simply mark some of private domain emails, or university emails as invalid. maybe config issue on the mailing server? but who cares, If I give you an email, I expect you to send to that email. It is not your job to make sure it exists. You just do regex checking on the format and that is it.

• dane_dohertydane_doherty Member
    edited May 2022

@afn I suspect it's for some mailing list cleaning, not anything interactive.

Download collection #1-#5, strip passwords, deduplicate, and you've got your own email verification service for free

• darbdarb Member

For starters I want to disallow free and disposable email accounts; if they are not using a legitimate owned domain based email address, then they probably aren't a serious business or person.

Second, I want to ideally find a service that further evals and ranks based on risk.

Finally it will be integrated with an existing app, so using an existing external api is the simplest solution.

edited May 2022

@darb said:
    For starters I want to disallow free and disposable email accounts; if they are not using a legitimate owned domain based email address, then they probably aren't a serious business or person.

lol good luck

Second, I want to ideally find a service that further evals and ranks based on risk.

jesus christ

• darbdarb Member

nope, it is for initial screening; fail and the welcome mat gets pulled and the doors slams just like my home.

@dane_doherty said:
    @afn I suspect it's for some mailing list cleaning, not anything interactive.

Download collection #1-#5, strip passwords, deduplicate, and you've got your own email verification service for free

Thanked by 2WSWD Logano
  • @darb said:
    nope, it is for initial screening; fail and the welcome mat gets pulled and the doors slams just like my home.

Thanked by 1afn
  • AndrewsAndrews Member

@darb said:

https://github.com/disposable-email-domains/disposable-email-domains

Thanked by 1ralf
    edited May 2022

@Andrews said:

@darb said:

https://github.com/disposable-email-domains/disposable-email-domains

https://www.google.com/search?q=gmail+disposable

As I said... good luck

Just make a service that is worth signing up with real e-mail

Thanked by 2rooted afn
  • afnafn Member

@darb said: For starters I want to disallow free and disposable email accounts; if they are not using a legitimate owned domain based email address, then they probably aren't a serious business or person

And I am literally telling you to be careful because some(most I saw) of these APIs do block a lot of perfectly legitimate companies/uni domains. not to mention disposable domains evolve quite rapidly, nothing 100% fake domains proof. Every time I see a website trashing me with "domain disallowed" when I use the common 10minutesmail domains, I insist on finding another temp email provider that works with them, and I always end up signing up with temp email. You know why? because if they insist so much on having my info, I find it scary, why do you need my email so much!!?? to the point of paying for an API.

And you should ask yourself the same question, why do you need the person's email so much?

@dane_doherty said: As I said... good luck

+1, at least I know I don't want to be using whatever service you have.

You might as well ask for CC and charge them 1$(or 100$) for verification. Or even better ask for ID as well and make people send them in non-secure non-encrypted way like everyone else does

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • darbdarb Member

You are sounding like you feel like a victim and have a right to access whatever you wish. My position is that access is a privilege, not a right and my target is a small niche market.

Personally I would rather go the extra mile to try keep the trash out. Sure some will still get past but that will additional work.

@afn said:

@darb said: For starters I want to disallow free and disposable email accounts; if they are not using a legitimate owned domain based email address, then they probably aren't a serious business or person

And I am literally telling you to be careful because some(most I saw) of these APIs do block a lot of perfectly legitimate companies/uni domains. not to mention disposable domains evolve quite rapidly, nothing 100% fake domains proof. Every time I see a website trashing me with "domain disallowed" when I use the common 10minutesmail domains, I insist on finding another temp email provider that works with them, and I always end up signing up with temp email. You know why? because if they insist so much on having my info, I find it scary, why do you need my email so much!!?? to the point of paying for an API.

And you should ask yourself the same question, why do you need the person's email so much?

@dane_doherty said: As I said... good luck

+1, at least I know I don't want to be using whatever service you have.

You might as well ask for CC and charge them 1$(or 100$) for verification. Or even better ask for ID as well and make people send them in non-secure non-encrypted way like everyone else does

• rcy026rcy026 Member

@darb said:

You really should think this trough.
    I am a very serious person, and I also represent several serious businesses. Still, if I were to sign up to whatever service it is you provide, rest assure that it would be with a @gmail, @hotmail, @live or whatever disposable email account I happen to use at the time.
    There is no way I would provide you with my real email address, unless you have first proven to be a reliable, serious and trustworthy partner.

I would say you have the whole thing backwards. If people are not using a disposable email, then they are probably not a serious person.
    Discarding disposable emails more or less shows that you are not a serious person, or at least does not provide a service worth signing up for.

Thanked by 1afn
  • @darb said:
    You are sounding like you feel like a victim and have a right to access whatever you wish. My position is that access is a privilege, not a right and my target is a small niche market.

This is wishful thinking. Malicious people, like me, will always get through. You'll just block legitimate customers and hurt your bottom line.

Thanked by 2afn 0xbkt
  • ralfralf Member

@rcy026 said:
    I am a very serious person, and I also represent several serious businesses. Still, if I were to sign up to whatever service it is you provide, rest assure that it would be with a @gmail, @hotmail, @live or whatever disposable email account I happen to use at the time.

None of these domains are in the disposable-email-domain list.

• noamannoaman Member

I built something in Laravel for this. Let me know if you are interested.

• wotetiwoteti Member

The poor man's way is to start with this and this, then poll disposable email sites when they come up with new domain (if they let you, don't do it too often), then add everything to a bloom filter you update periodically.

Then check against this bloom filter every time anyone signs up with an email.

Thanked by 1ralf
  • ralfralf Member

Only heard of "bloom filter" in the context of computer graphics before. Learned something new and useful today, thanks!

Thanked by 1woteti
  • HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited May 2022

FYI. You really don't need to care about other's opinion here. Do what solution works for you and solves your needs. There are legit reasons to not allowing people from gmail or hotmail. Not saying it's trash users (I'm an avid user of Gmail) but some forms and companies don't like it and I don't blame them.

The aggregate risk score isn't a product or a solution I've heard being used before. I mean sure a few people might market something basic, but by that point I'm sure you can probably develop your own version using various data sources. There are a few tools that you can use that'll validate it against free email domains, and then use that github list to validate against throwaway domains. It won't be perfect but then again, it'll be good enough.

Also offer an option for those who've been hit by false positives to contact you or something (and if that becomes too much then build something that'll handle those requests).

But I think this will probably solve 99% of your problem.

Thanked by 1woteti
  • rcy026rcy026 Member

@ralf said:

@rcy026 said:

Those domains are truly disposable emails, so whats the use of the list then?

• szymonpszymonp Member

@ralf said:

@rcy026 said:

https://www.gmailnator.com

Thanked by 1tjn
  • zedzed Member

wow that's clever, does gmail allow that kind of usage or do they just create new gmails as they need to?

• szymonpszymonp Member
    edited May 2022

@zed said:

wow that's clever, does gmail allow that kind of usage or do they just create new gmails as they need to?

I have no clue, I think they just abuse the service since the emails eventually stop working.

• @szymonp said:

@zed said:

I have no clue, I think they just abuse the service since the emails eventually stop working.

I think they probably have a handful of accounts and then use the alias feature in gmail to filter it. Once certain accounts get retired by google or by them, then probably just manually re-create another handful of accounts and continue moving.

• szymonpszymonp Member

@HalfEatenPie said:

@szymonp said:

@zed said:

I think they probably have a handful of accounts and then use the alias feature in gmail to filter it. Once certain accounts get retired by google or by them, then probably just manually re-create another handful of accounts and continue moving.

They have thousands, they probably use bots+proxies+pva services

• zedzed Member

lol this is why we cant have nice things (kidding, fuck google)