Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best cloud storage solution (for business)? (gdrive, etc)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best cloud storage solution (for business)? (gdrive, etc)

stabstab Member

I need a good cloud storage solution for sharing files internally (team mates) along with external shares, like Dropbox or Gdrive. Needs to allow easy sharing externally.

We need good desktop clients for Windows, MacOS and Linux and it must be easy to use (no finicky desktop clients or setup). Must be reliable and I don't want to admin any servers or setup anything myself.

I'm okay with something like OneDrive/Dropbox/etc but the prices are a bit much ($20+ user / month really adds up).

1TB is fine (total) but more would be ideal.

Comments

• Google Workspace is $6/m/user

Thanked by 1Daniel15
  • NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited May 2022

Tresorit if you want solid encryption.

https://tresorit.com/pricing

Box if you want unlimited space.

https://www.box.com/en-gb/pricing

Thanked by 1ehab
  • LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

OneDrive is 1TB a user for $6/month/user through Microsoft 365. Also comes with all the nice features that ship with 365 such as e-mail and what not.

As said above, Box is very nice too. I've also used Sync.com which is fairly nice, but apparently not super speedy.

Thanked by 1stab
  • RapToNRapToN Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2022

I know small companys wich uses one or two onedrive Accounts as whole Team to share files with there customers.
    As long every Team member should get Access to all files this is a solution to save some money.
    1TB should be more then enough for a lot of small teams.

I never used nextcloud, but I think it should also fit your requirements:
    https://www.hetzner.com/de/storage/storage-share

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran

For business use I'd go with either G Suite or Microsoft 365, the latter being my preference. Both start at $6/user/month, although Google only include 30GB/user on the basic plan whereas Microsoft include 1TB/user. It's best if you also use it for emails. Microsoft's web UI is a bit more polished than Google's, particularly on the email side of things.

@RapToN said: As long every Team member should get Access to all files

I wouldn't recommend this. It means you can't use SSO to log in, it's harder to use two-factor auth, there's no way to track who has access to it, and it's difficult to revoke someone's access if they leave the team/company as you'd have to rotate the password for everyone every time.

Thanked by 1NanoG6
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@RapToN said:
    I know small companys wich uses one or two onedrive Accounts as whole Team to share files with there customers.
    As long every Team member should get Access to all files this is a solution to save some money.

No way this could go wrong.

Thanked by 2bdl the_doctor
  • QuantumCoreQuantumCore Member, Host Rep

I'd suggest OneDrive as well, it's a lot more polished now than it used to be.

You can actually get the OneDrive for Business (Plan 1) for $5/month. This is only $1/month cheaper than the Business Basic license that the others have suggested but if you're only using OneDrive, there's no need to pay $1/month more for features that you're not going to use.

Thanked by 1stab
  • AndrewSSDAndrewSSD Member, Host Rep

We can setup a windows vps with 1TB HDD, Can you please advise how much bandwidth are you looking for ?

• stabstab Member

Thanks for the suggestions, OneDrive seems like a good choice.

We did try the NextCloud route, but had nothing but problems and I'm starting to get sick of the self-hosted route.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

I have a question - anyone with experience with the herzner storage? Is it stable enough for business? Any data loss experiences?

• @stab said: We need good desktop clients for Windows, MacOS and Linux and it must be easy to use

mega.nz - has best in class clients for different apps.
    koofr.eu - awesome clients for smartphones + not bad desktop one
    icedrive.net - awesome both and mobile & desktop
    filen.io - both great.
    google drive pretty solid (and wide rage of free tools to use with the storage to make it right click access to everything)
    https://internxt.com/ - not bad too

Price always the same ~10 usd / person for 1-2TB / mo

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran
  • Would definitely recommend Internxt ;)
    https://internxt.com/

Thanked by 1the_doctor
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

If you’ve you’ve been using Internxt for some time and you genuinely believe it’s an option for the OP, fair enough.

If you haven’t used and it just recommended an advertiser, this post is irresponsible.

I strongly suspect it’s the latter given the sequence of recent events.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

OneDrive by Microsoft is awesome solution

• DigikaDigika Member

@Nekki said: No way this could go wrong.

What would go wrong? They are not breaking TOS.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Digika said:

@Nekki said: No way this could go wrong.

What would go wrong? They are not breaking TOS.

I’m reasonably sure it is, but that wasn’t what I was driving at. In a business environment, where you often need traceability of change for audit/review purposes, sharing accounts is a cast-iron no-no.

• DigikaDigika Member

@Nekki said: I’m reasonably sure it is,

In what way?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Digika said:

@Nekki said: I’m reasonably sure it is,

In what way?

I am certain the basic terms of all Microsoft accounts do not permit you to share your account with another individual (or group of individuals). I am not looking up the specific text for you.

• DigikaDigika Member

If they have setup their access in a way that only 2 people needs to have upload access and the rest just need download access then they are golden. Hell. they can even automate it via internal small server which uses something like rclone to upload from the same account and the same machine to OD. Literally vanilla TOS guidelines.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Digika said:
    If they have setup their access in a way that only 2 people needs to have upload access and the rest just need download access then they are golden. Hell. they can even automate it via internal small server which uses something like rclone to upload from the same account and the same machine to OD. Literally vanilla TOS guidelines.

Ok mate, have a good evening.

• tmepytmepy Member

OneDrive is the best price to value product according to me as it provides a solid mail system with the powerful office apps.

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

Google Drive.

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider

@risharde said:
    I have a question - anyone with experience with the herzner storage? Is it stable enough for business? Any data loss experiences?

The only thing to note is that it's super slow from anywhere outside of Hetzner, I would proxy through Hetzner Cloud Falkenstein.

Thanked by 1risharde
  • dosaidosai Member

Onedrive plans might be cheap but their network is absolute garbage.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

@Advin said:

@risharde said:

The only thing to note is that it's super slow from anywhere outside of Hetzner, I would proxy through Hetzner Cloud Falkenstein.

Thanks @Advin appreciate the info!

• fiendfiend Member

Personally i use Pcloud and Koofr, but my business uses Sync.com and all of them have been running great for some years now...

• Pcloud (free plan), box, onedrive, google all scan/can access your files so not very secure at all.

Koofr I am not sure about.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@dosai said:
    Onedrive plans might be cheap but their network is absolute garbage.

Never had a issue with them.

google all scan/can access your files so not very secure at all.

Does not surprise me at all, so for that reason encryption of file is available.

• TeoMTeoM Member

Google or Microsoft everything except this both is crap for business