Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What protocol are you using in your VDS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

utfutf Member

Let know which remote desktop software is most popular in LEB community.

I don't know much about anything other than VNC and RDP. I learned from Wikipedia.

1. What protocol are you using in your VDS?102 votes
    1. VNC (TigerVNC, RealVNC etc.)
        5.88%
    2. RDP (xRDP, MS RDP etc.)
      14.71%
    3. NX (NoMachine etc.)
        3.92%
    4. X11
        0.00%
    5. Anydesk/teamviewer/Chrome Remote Desktop etc. (They are not protocol I know)
        1.96%
    6. Other
        1.96%
    7. I do NOT use remote desktop software, only ssh
      71.57%

Comments

• ssh stronk
    gui weak

• szymonpszymonp Member

VNC isn't really secure so xRDP it is for me

Thanked by 1utf
  • UmutUmut Member

I use RDP on my Windows VPS, but I only use SSH on my Linux VPS.

• Twitch stream of camera pointed at computer screen + custom Python script that emulates keyboard & mouse

Thanked by 2szymonp utf
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

NX for my remote workstation. Is nice.

• X2Gooooooooo

Thanked by 1Bardulf
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

ssh is much easier to use and quicker

• wii747wii747 Member

VPN and whitelist the ipaddress then RDP

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@WebProject said:
    ssh is much easier to use and quicker

No it’s not.

• zedzed Member

im using all the protocols, what a weird question

• emgemg Veteran

The answer for me is "It depends." I wish there were a simple answer, but there isn't. I use (or have used) nearly all of the mentioned protocols above, including "other". You forgot to mention Apple Remote Desktop and even more obscure protocols.

Whatever you choose, make sure that it is secure, and it stays updated and maintained. Some protocols have security concerns, and should be tunneled inside a secure protocol.

I have been forced by customers to use various commercial products for remote desktop control (e.g., TeamViewer). They make me uncomfortable because I do not understand or trust their security models.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited May 2022

I use VNC BUT with a tunnel since VNC alone as many have said is not encrypted. I should try rdp but even if encrypted, I'd probably do the same tunnel to avoid getting hacked easily.

P.S I used the terminal more than 90% of the time, only use VNC since I use Virtualbox (the UI is super useful - I use it particularly for snapshots).

• Mostly SSH, but have Chrome RD on 4GB+ Linux boxes as a back up method and for UI access.

For Windows, mostly use MS RDP along with Chrome RD as a back up method.

• emgemg Veteran

I see a lot of "SSH" here, and it is probably my favorite due to flexibility and ease of use. I open a terminal or command window and start typing. Secure file transfers are easy with SSH (SFTP), too.

What I want to emphasize is paying attention to security. Whatever you use, SSH or otherwise, be sure it is configured as securely as possible and that it is maintained. People find and exploit bugs in everything, even SSH.

In case anyone cares, I move SSH to a random port. I enable public key authentication only. I disable password authentication and root login. Check your public/private keypairs to make sure they are still secure. If you use the same keypair and it is old and "small", it may be time to create a new one.

I create a special account for remote access only, with no privileges and no work products in its files. It is basically a dummy account, but it is the only account that can SSH into a system. If a hacker somehow gets through SSH, it will take additional work to escalate privileges to break out of that account.

Your goals in allowing any kind of remote access are: Minimize your attack surface (the number of ways an attacker can get in) and Defense in depth (if the attacker gets through the first layer, make sure that other layers are in place to limit what they can do with their exploit).

In addition, think about how you secure your own computers, the ones you use to access your remote servers. You know, your computers that store the SSH "clients", the public/private keypairs, and your notes on how to access your servers. If the bad guys get them, they have the keys to your kingdom(s).

I do similar things with other remote access protocols, but you get the idea which is: don't make it easy for the bad guys.

I hope this helps someone, especially @utf.

Thanked by 1utf
  • ralfralf Member

I personally never move ssh to a different port. On most servers, especially if I have an alternate way of getting to the console, will filter via iptables the IPs that can connect to ssh to a very limited set - basically my home machine and my two main servers.

Thanked by 1emg
  • Ed_ChdEd_Chd Member

VNC and Xpra, over a secured connection.

• CheepCluckCheepCluck Member
    edited May 2022

For me, its Telnet. Forever 23

• DupondtDupondt Member
    edited May 2022

For remote desktop: VNC via an SSH tunnel or RDP/xRDP.

For things that don't require GUI: SSH.

• nanobots and neuralink