Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The new Digital Services Act - How hostings providers will do?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The new Digital Services Act - How hostings providers will do?

sandozsandoz Veteran
edited May 2022 in General

Hi,

I created this thread to discuss about the new Digital Services Act (DSA) law from Europe.

In this thread I want to hear your opinions and point of view of this.

For those who doesn't know about it, where is all information
https://torrentfreak.com/eu-reaches-agreement-on-digital-services-act-including-new-takedown-rules-220425/

Best to check this article shows what will be affected and how:
https://ec.europa.eu/info/strategy/priorities-2019-2024/europe-fit-digital-age/digital-services-act-ensuring-safe-and-accountable-online-environment_en

My questions and opinions are this.

KYC - Know your customer vs Europe Irony vs Privacy Hosting Providers

All European Hosting Providers needs to ask for identidy of customers even the legit ones. This is something that shouldn't allowed in any circunstance! This is a break of Privacy.

However if you want to ask and if you already do it for years then is fine, but for those who doesn't want to do that, why we need to be forced to implement KYC? This is a disaster.

KYC is just a bullshit from Europe to know more about customers data. Why I think like that? Just see it:
https://gizmodo.com/the-eu-starts-its-own-twitter-alternative-mastodon-1848861387

The irony of Europe isn't get started.. First they say they want to implement DSA Law in Europe, now Europe moves to freedom of speech social media and privacy care? The irony... The irony of those (..) I would say other word... Instead of doing that.

Why a company needs to use KYC? No matter what, always will be scammers or criminais out there, even with or without KYC. I must admit that Summer hosts and criminal hosts can use it and sharing your passport ID without your permission which will lead to futher consequences to them...

Are Europe ready to cover all damages if any Hosting uses KYC data to sell it? Guess what? No.

I will quote some of their "expressions to save the world"

«Greater democratic control and oversight over systemic platforms» source? Europe DSA Law..

Democratic Control? That is ridículous.

I understand companies who always had and did KYC, but for those who doesn't want to do it, why we need to be forced? And to complete that most of things that this law is forcing companies to do, is against their GDPR.. Which is funny!

Is not because that doesn't providing KYC I'm criminal or not. In fact I never provided KYC to any hosting Provider and I never will do. I Will always ask for refund. No matter what. People needs to understand and separate criminals than who Cares about privacy and data security.

Don't doubt this have hands of Anti-Piracy groups like ACE and others.. Do you think are Impossible? Think twice and repeat:
https://torrentfreak.com/anti-piracy-coalition-ace-gets-bigger-stronger-and-more-effective-220427/

Some quote about Torrentfreak article... Shows the evidence is correct.
«In recent years many ACE members have lobbied for stricter “Know Your Business Customer” (KYBC) requirements for online intermediaries. The lack of identity verification is one of the greatest frustrations for ACE at the moment. Making these checks mandatory would be a game-changer.»

I would like to hear your opinions about this and the development of this law. Do you agree? Do you disagree? Why and your reasons.

Some questions will remain in the air.

Who companies like Njal.la / Incognet @MannDude / Flokinet ( @FlokiNET or @FlokiNETis ), @jsg @skbenterprise @Maounique @Francisco @jmginer @jenkki @HostSlick @Nyr @spectraip @mullvad and any other Hosting with Privacy Matters how they will do against this situation? How they will deal with this? And any other organization or company hosting / VPN for Privacy purposes will eventually do?

(Sorry if you didn't want to be mention)

Isn't irony to ask for KYC when GDRP is still going on? Did you remember the question about asking to be forgetten in Google, YouTube and other plataforms? Looks like shady, nasty and dirty strategys from Europe & Anti-Piracy lobbies... I said along time ago, this will escalate until the point they need to know where you live and how much people are using your Computer...

What is your opinion about it? This law should be stopped or not and why?

All Sources (for those who WANTS to read everything)

https://ec.europa.eu/info/strategy/priorities-2019-2024/europe-fit-digital-age/digital-services-act-ensuring-safe-and-accountable-online-environment_en
https://gizmodo.com/the-eu-starts-its-own-twitter-alternative-mastodon-1848861387
https://gdpr.eu/what-is-gdpr/
https://torrentfreak.com/anti-piracy-coalition-ace-gets-bigger-stronger-and-more-effective-220427/

The end is coming to some Hosting Providers? How it will affect your business? What you think if you have 500 people buying or 1500 buying daily to verify each process of KYC..

And don't forget the leaked data of Verification.io, and if that happens with companies or services that verifies KYC Processing? Will be customer compensated? I Guess no!

Feel free to post your feedback, opinions and point of view. Of course being and maintain this thread healthy with useful information and news.

Thanked by 3bruh21 Chuck szymonp

Comments

• ChuckChuck Member

European governments have gone crazy, woke.

• adlyadly Veteran

As far as I’m aware, KYC only applies to “online platforms” and only applies to businesses (such as verifying valid VAT ID, corporation existence on registers, etc.).

Additionally, micro and small companies are exempt from many of the obligations, which will probably include most LE providers.

It’s far from the end of the world, and I suspect most providers won’t need to make many (if any) changes to comply.

• Loopholes and Corruption. There are always multiple ways to get around the rules. Even if it gets enforced fully without any exception, it costs less than 100€ to order fake passport or drivers license which the provider wont be able to verify.

Stuff like this only makes more cumbersome for legit customers while the crooks can just pay under the desk with crypto or use fake identities to get verified fast. Even worse, when the provider gets hacked, everyone's identities will leak all at once, with complete photocopies of passports.

Imagine ordering from hostsolutions and having to send your passport copies to cociu via ticket lol

Thanked by 2bulbasaur Chuck
  • adlyadly Veteran

@stefeman said:
    Loopholes and Corruption. There are always multiple ways to get around the rules. Even if it gets enforced fully without any exception, it costs less than 100€ to order fake passport or drivers license which the provider wont be able to verify.

Stuff like this only makes more cumbersome for legit customers while the crooks can just pay under the desk with crypto or use fake identities to get verified fast. Even worse, when the provider gets hacked, everyone's identities will leak all at once, with complete photocopies of passports.

Imagine ordering from hostsolutions and having to send your passport copies to cociu via ticket lol

Hosts aren't expected to implement KYC anyway, so it wouldn't apply to hostsolutions. ;)

Not sure if the OP has even read the linked EU webpage, but the table here shows the various obligations. The obligations on intermediate and hosting providers are pretty minimal (and specifically do not include any form of KYC).

Thanked by 2bulbasaur TimboJones
  • grepgrep Member

@sandoz said:
    Hi,

circunstance

I believe the word you meant was cirCUMstance.

• HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2022

Nothing will change here.
    It will all continue as before.

Check table @adly mentioned.

• sandozsandoz Veteran

@adly said:

@stefeman said:
    Loopholes and Corruption. There are always multiple ways to get around the rules. Even if it gets enforced fully without any exception, it costs less than 100€ to order fake passport or drivers license which the provider wont be able to verify.

Hosts aren't expected to implement KYC anyway, so it wouldn't apply to hostsolutions. ;)

Not sure if the OP has even read the linked EU webpage, but the table here shows the various obligations. The obligations on intermediate and hosting providers are pretty minimal (and specifically do not include any form of KYC).

Not include right now, but it can be changed and ACE will try to force and if you look other tables what means "bigger platforms"? What they mean which that? A Hosting Provider can be also a "platform" depending on what they mean.

This law can be changed why we don't should consider that? ACE members will make force. Even if isn't applied KYC look at other tables.. still a concerning about privacy and giving our data more easily. Without a valid court order with is against GDPR compliance.

You will see soon... Next target VPNs.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@sandoz said:

This law can be changed why we don't should consider that? ACE members will make force. Even if isn't applied KYC look at other tables.. still a concerning about privacy and giving our data more easily. Without a valid court order with is against GDPR compliance.

A laws can be changed, should we disconnect from the internet just in case?

Thanked by 1pike
  • szymonpszymonp Member

As always, the EU passes some dump law that affects me, but I don't get a say on it becase I'm 17... DeMocrAcY

Thanked by 1sgno1
  • jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2022

This legislation contemplates that any request for data will be accompanied by a court order and the service provider, logically, has the obligation to execute the action that the court order states.

In short, we will continue to ignore requests from any private companies and will only listen to what the judge tells us.

Thanked by 1szymonp
  • dane_dohertydane_doherty Member
    edited May 2022

I agree that it probably changes nothing. When they passed the directive on ultimate beneficial owners of companies, it was stipulated that the national registers be made public, online and easy to access free of charge, yet somehow it's still near darn impossible to find official company details for many EU countries.

And if they in fact do something unfavorable... well, it's not like EU doesn't border a cesspit of the most lawless countries on Earth. You can just move your content to Moldova or Belarus and it won't hurt much.

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

These laws are made by same kind of people who asks to keep log of every port scans for 5 years in India

Thanked by 1that_guy
  • serv_eeserv_ee Member

@szymonp said:
    As always, the EU passes some dump law that affects me, but I don't get a say on it becase I'm 17... DeMocrAcY

Shit worked out so well here when they gave 16 and 17 year olds a say in local elections. /s

• @serv_ee said: Shit worked out so well here when they gave 16 and 17 year olds a say in local elections. /s

Teen voters change Estonian election dynamic

Around 24,000 young people are shifting the dynamic in October's municipal elections, and the country's politicians are making big promises in an effort to secure their votes, the Postimees newspaper reports.

24,000 people change election dynamic in the entire country. This is less people than live in my neighbourhood, lol.

• szymonpszymonp Member

@serv_ee said:

@szymonp said:

Shit worked out so well here when they gave 16 and 17 year olds a say in local elections. /s

I'm just saying the EU sucks and they say it's democracy when in reality they only care about money from lobbyists

Thanked by 2that_guy bulbasaur
  • serv_eeserv_ee Member

@dane_doherty said:

@serv_ee said: Shit worked out so well here when they gave 16 and 17 year olds a say in local elections. /s

Teen voters change Estonian election dynamic

Around 24,000 young people are shifting the dynamic in October's municipal elections, and the country's politicians are making big promises in an effort to secure their votes, the Postimees newspaper reports.

24,000 people change election dynamic in the entire country. This is less people than live in my neighbourhood, lol.

What does that matter? Those are local county elections not the whole country. And yes, they do shift a lot based on promises not on facts. After those elections we have actors, singers, stand up comedians etc elected. What the fuck is that?

• sandozsandoz Veteran

@hostdare said:
    These laws are made by same kind of people who asks to keep log of every port scans for 5 years in India

The problem is that this will lead to more and more rules in near future until you reach the point that they will know everything about you (Google and others already know) but will reach a limit where to buy a hosting or VPN you will need to provide KYC..

Not sense. Criminals always will be criminals even KYC or without. Imagine what is for example a Hosting Provider that was hacked and was passport ID stored. How they will solve that? Deleting? Close the company? The f#ck IDs will be there always on Internet Forever and ever.

Don't think that KYC won't be implemented. They will do everything they can to do it. I talk about BREIN, ACE and those lobbies that want justify this laws as protective against theft...and nothing about privacy.

I hate this Anti-Piracy groups. Seriously... If you search their plan is to deanonimize VPNs, Hosting Providers, Payment methods, everything!

Why Police was been created?
    Why court orders was been created?

They want to be the "policemans" of Internet, don't doubt of that.

They are targeting VPNs.. and their Next target are Hosting Providers and others...

Someday you will be required to install a RAT in your Computer to be verified and to recognize and Proof that you aren't doing any shitty...

Things are going out of the "normal ways" I can't support those things. For this reason I hope more companies like @MannDude be innovating the market and fighting against those [...] well you know what I mean...

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • FrankZFrankZ Veteran

Just as an add on to the OP discussion.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/Declaration-for-the-Future-for-the-Internet_Launch-Event-Signing-Version_FINAL.pdf

"This Declaration takes into account, and expects to contribute
    to, existing processes in the UN system, G7, G20, the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development, the World Trade Organization, and other relevant multilateral and multistake holder fora, the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, Internet Governance Forum, and Freedom Online Coalition."

• @sandoz
    "KYC is just a bullshit from Europe" - You talk about Europe but you mean the EU. It is important to always distinguish and highlight this. Europe != EU.The EU is indeed the enemy and is being questioned and even rejected by more and more people within the EU.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@hyperblast said: The EU is indeed the enemy and is being questioned and even rejected by more and more people within the EU.

Putler does have success with it, but it is only temporary, his antecessor was also hugely successful at first before people saw what he meant.
    KYC is a normal thing in many places, being anonymous online has nothing to do with your provider, you can have the subscription in your name and still be fully anonymous. I hope people here know the drill.

• @Maounique "I hope people here know the drill." - tell the people, better tell it.

Thanked by 1bulbasaur
  • adlyadly Veteran

@sandoz said:
    Not include right now, but it can be changed and ACE will try to force and if you look other tables what means "bigger platforms"? What they mean which that? A Hosting Provider can be also a "platform" depending on what they mean.

Any law can be changed, worrying about potential future changes that aren't even being suggested is frankly delusional.

As for hosting providers being considered an online platform, that's simply not what they are defined as in the law. "Online platforms" are broadly "online marketplaces, app stores, collaborative economy platforms and social media platforms".

• I hate EU, but I hate Putin more.