Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Greatest IT mystery
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Greatest IT mystery

Yep, you guessed it. The "NS prefix" field in default WHMCS panels when ordering a VPS. Still don't know what is supposed to go there and what it does, but you cannot just leave it empty.

Presence of this field is the hallmark of random providers.

Comments

• It does nothing for anything, really. You can put anything you like. You could put bobs and vegana, or boomer and mzungu.

Thanked by 1Frameworks
  • HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2022

Thats why i always edit the Order templates (recently also on our new whmcs integration) for the NS fields to hide and just set something random in the background.

So much customers seem confused about it why they need to fill it out.

Thanked by 2szymonp bruh21
  • @dahartigan said:
    It does nothing for anything, really. You can put anything you like. You could put bobs and vegana, or boomer and mzungu.

great idea

• yeah i can honestly say im one of those people who has no clue what that field is for...

• JarryJarry Member

What is so strange on ns1 (the first name server) and ns2 (the second name server)? Not much, except there should not be just "prefix" field, but FQDN.

• Its used when you order a cpanel server but they kept it for all options

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Let's be honest...it's there because providers are too lazy to customize the stock WHMCS template.

I've seen some providers do amazing things with WHMCS but for many, it's a default install.

• imokimok Member

It looks like lazyness from the software creator to me.

• afnafn Member

@raindog308 said: it's there because providers are too lazy to customize the stock WHMCS template.

No it's there because developers are Lazy to provide an easily customizable thing.
    By default your platform should avoid useless stuff Don't create the problem and say it's on the provider to solve... IMHO it's on the developers. Tho the fact we see it as End users, is on providers because even if default template is a bad choice, they should remove it.

Thanked by 1FairyHosting_com